SWOLLEN LIP - ALLERGIC REACTION??

carola
carola Member Posts: 786
edited 29. Jul 2010, 08:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good Morning my Friends

Last night my lower lip started swelling up. Getting up this morning it has not gotten worse but still swelling.

I have been on Methotrexate since March so unlikely reaction to that.
However, about 10 days ago started taking 400mg of Hydroxycholoroquine/Plaquenil and 7.5mg of Prednisolone.

Have called my Rheumy Nurse this morning and she says to see my GP today to have a look.

Just wondering if anyone else has had such a reaction? I am suspecting the Hydro. Really want to keep taking it to see if it helps my swellings etc!!
Would be grateful to hear other people's reactions if any before I go to the doc.
Have a decent day today, my Friends.
Carol :lol:

Comments

• carola
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Carol

Hope its not the hydroxy :(

so glad you are going to the docs.

a few years back I swole up all over lips ears eyes bum legs etc (ueticaria vulgaris???). I dont want this to happen to yo - never found the cause although similar had happened a while before (2 years). Got photos - was at a wedding - the docs at the hosp wanted to stick me to the window by my lips!!!!

The 'cure' was in fact pred! and antihistamines IV and tablets in the end.

Dont scratch it whatever you do - makes it worse and Carol please let me knwo youre ok??

Thanks and good luck

Toni xx
  • carola
    Hi Toni

Stop making me laugh!! Now picturing my new career as a Garfield stuck to the window of a car haha! :lol:

I'm already on Pred although just 7.5mg a day. Started it about 10 days ago along with the Hydroxy.

Just called my GP and spoke to the Rotweiller of a receptionist who says no appointments today even although you they only give same day appointments and the surgery has only been open 20 mins!! Told her to get a doc to call me pronto as through experience they then call me and tell me to come in to see them. What a hassle these receptionists are!

Many thanks for your post. I'll let you know how I get on.

Going to have to venture outside without my red lipstick on (it's my trademark!) as it would look too funny with big fat lip!!

Have a decent day today,
    Carol x
  • frogmorton
    Carol

Garfield!!!!

Yep that could work :lol::lol:

I went to A&E in the end THREE times before getting it sorted :roll:

Craeful now with those red lips :shock:
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Ooh Carol, hope you get that sorted out quick. I hate docs receptionists - they make being ill/having something wrong with you even more stressful than it is. Let us know how you get on.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • carola
    Hi Speedy - how you doing?

A GP just called me and going to see him at 10.50am.

I've seen this GP a couple of times and he is very receptive so I may give him the honour of being my preferred GP in the future - poor man!

Thanks for your message and will update.

Carol x
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hi Carol

Please do push to see your gp today.

A few months ago my face swelled up for no apparent reason and I was told that it was something called angio-oedema which is caused by an allergic reaction to one of the drugs I was taking . It is easily treatable with antih-histamines and possibly higher dose steriods but it can be quite serious if left unchecked.

May not be this in your case, but you really should check it out. And, in the meantime, you might consider speaking to the pharmacist about some anti-histamines...

Really good luck Carol - please do let us know how you get on.

Love Tilly xx
  • tillytop
    Hi again Carol

Just seen that you have an appointment now. Will be thinking of you. And hopefully you will also find a good GP for the future!

Love Tilly x
  • carola
    tillytop wrote:
    Hi again Carol

Just seen that you have an appointment now. Will be thinking of you. And hopefully you will also find a good GP for the future!

Love Tilly x

Hi there Tilly!!

Many thanks for your posts. More worried about nae red lippy opposed to potato head haha!
    Hopefully it will just be a case of more pills to the collection to combat the sausage lips! :lol:
    I'll let you know how I get on.
    Have a good day today, Tilly.
    Carol x :lol:
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Carol....missed this post...sorry :oops:

hope you get some answers from your doc when you see him today...at the very least he'll be impressed with the red lipstick :wink:

know exactly what you mean by the 'rottweiler' receptionists ...specially trained me thinks :roll: :wink: well done you for being assertive..and knowing how to get round the barbed wire :!:

let us know how you get on Carol.

Iris xxx
  • carola
    Many thanks Iris.

Will let you know how I get on.
    Carol x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Odd isn't it? People pay for trout pouts, but when you ge one 'naturally' it's not nice! I had a similar reaction to Quorn once, most unpleasant it was too. Lots of anti-histamine pills got rid of it. Fingers are crossed it's nothing serious hun, I await your news after the appointment. We need glamour on the forums - stillettos and lippy indeed! Are you a bottle blonde as well? Should we be calling you Marilyn? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Carola

I sympathise with you as I have had this on and off for about 3 years now.....It all started one night was watching tv at 8.30 felt like a blister in my cheek, put finger on it and it popped and then whle cheek was swollen up within half an hour up at hosp and given anti histamines....That was 3 years ago.

Last year had several episodes one in particular where I went to bed, nothing unusual, woke in middle of night thinking my top lip feels funny, woke at 4m and was like a bottle nosed dolphin, straight to a & e they thought it was an abcess, went to dentist next day, no abcess, then got given prednisolone for only 7 days....Also experienced swellings on thighs, hands and on eyelids.

Eventually to cut a long story short have an auto immune disease called idiopathic urticaria and angio oedema. This means anything can swell whenever it pleases. I take 180g Fexofendaine, and 10mg of Letrocetivine and have seen immunologist at Preston twice.....Felt like elephant man at first but realised that even thought it wloooks yukki it cant harm me really. Hope this aint an AID.

Elaine
    carola wrote:
    Good Morning my Friends

Last night my lower lip started swelling up. Getting up this morning it has not gotten worse but still swelling.

I have been on Methotrexate since March so unlikely reaction to that.
    However, about 10 days ago started taking 400mg of Hydroxycholoroquine/Plaquenil and 7.5mg of Prednisolone.

Have called my Rheumy Nurse this morning and she says to see my GP today to have a look.

Just wondering if anyone else has had such a reaction? I am suspecting the Hydro. Really want to keep taking it to see if it helps my swellings etc!!
    Would be grateful to hear other people's reactions if any before I go to the doc.
    Have a decent day today, my Friends.
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh ebk, that sounds horrid. Do you have any idea what triggers it? Is it food related, stress related, weather related or just a contrary so-and-so? Knowing these auto-immune things, I suspect the latter. DD
  • elainebadknee
    HI DD

Well they say avoid lots of things such as direct sunlight and things with salicylates in them too....But basically there is no rhyme or reason for what happens, I mean I dont have dairy products either as am lactose intolerant so cant be them.....Also they say quite a lot of people devlop this in their 40's.
    I think stress is a factor but the whole issue of me looking like a bottle nosed dolphin dont exactly help that either ....I also get dermographism too with this which means if any pressure is put on my skin I get an angry rash and it lasts for ages...Things such as just carrying a bag and have to put above my wrist leaves marks for 1-2 hours.....

Still could be worse......

Elaine
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Oh ebk, that sounds horrid. Do you have any idea what triggers it? Is it food related, stress related, weather related or just a contrary so-and-so? Knowing these auto-immune things, I suspect the latter. DD
  • carola
    Hi Elaine

Heck, that sounds awful!! I am going to jot those complicated words down and do a wee bit research.

Many thanks for your post.

Hope you having a decent day today.
    Carol x
  • carola
    Ha ha! DreamDaisy!

Yes, the platinum comes oot of a bottle!!

And yes, I am often referred to as Marilyn Monroe!

Even at the wedding at the weekend a 'gent' asked if he could blow up my skirt!!!!!

...... what could I say?!
    xx :lol:
  • carola
    Righto, have seen my GP and he said since the swelling is just in my lower lip he reckons I have a cold sore!

I have never had a cold sore in my life however I do understand that the meds I am taking aim to deplete my immune system so would be more prone to getting a cold sore.

However, do not have the horrid scabby thing associated with cold sores, no tingling etc.

In my heart I do not believe it is a cold sore however shall keep taking all my meds and see if it gets worse or not.

Meantime, I shall pout away with my trout lips and be thankful I can continue to take all my toxic meds!!

Many thanks my Friends for your words of support.
  • elainebadknee
    Carola

You are getting the diagnosis I got when they really didnt know what was going on. Mine was abcess (which I knew it wasnt) yours is cold sore??!! I can guarantee you this is not a cold sore and is likely an allergic reaction....I think it should go down as the day goes on...Mine used to feel as if I had a bicycle pump in it and I could feel it swelling and deflating too......

Dont put cold sore cream on it but your taking the right stuff in prednisolone....

Elaine
    carola wrote:
    Righto, have seen my GP and he said since the swelling is just in my lower lip he reckons I have a cold sore!

I have never had a cold sore in my life however I do understand that the meds I am taking aim to deplete my immune system so would be more prone to getting a cold sore.

However, do not have the horrid scabby thing associated with cold sores, no tingling etc.

In my heart I do not believe it is a cold sore however shall keep taking all my meds and see if it gets worse or not.

Meantime, I shall pout away with my trout lips and be thankful I can continue to take all my toxic meds!!

Many thanks my Friends for your words of support.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Carol

It doesn't sound too much like a cold sore.... mind I also have never had one. If it doesn't calm down PDQ I would go back t the gp again. Hopefully it will go down and you will be back to normal soon. Cris x
  • dreamdaisy
    That's not very satisfactory. I believe cold sores tingle, and if you ain't tingling then it probably ain't a cold sore. Ho-hum, take some anti-histamine and see what happens! DD
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Sounds like educated guesswork to me :roll:

phone the rheummy nurse back tomorrow if you don't see any improvement Carol.... Mtx can cause mouth ulcers and cold sores so best get it checked out properly to see if your meds are OK or need altering 'til the symptoms die back.
    Hope it's not the same Auto Immune problem that Elaine has. (sorry Elaine...must be awful for you too. :( )

(((hugs)))) for both of you.

Iris xxx
  • elainebadknee
    Carola

I suppose it could be with you taking meth and it weakening your immune system, but if youve never had cold sores in past when run down thats what makes me wonder??? I suppose could try stuff such as cold cloths near your affected area.....I was also told too if had swelling to massage area to try and disperse of fluid........
    Or alternatively you could just let it take its course n not stress...Unlike me!!!
    Im sure it is just an isolated case n will go as quick as it came......

Iris.....Im kinda used to mine now (although fingers crossed havent had an episode for about 3 months now).....

Elaine
    dorcas wrote:
    Sounds like educated guesswork to me :roll:

phone the rheummy nurse back tomorrow if you don't see any improvement Carol.... Mtx can cause mouth ulcers and cold sores so best get it checked out properly to see if your meds are OK or need altering 'til the symptoms die back.
    Hope it's not the same Auto Immune problem that Elaine has. (sorry Elaine...must be awful for you too. :( )

(((hugs)))) for both of you.

Iris xxx
  • frogmorton
    Carol

Hope it goes....if not the rheumy nurse iS a thought...

If it is a really bad allergic reaction you are looking for swelling in the mouth tongue throat (even a sore one) as something to worry about.

Those signs mean A&E asap :) NHS direct can help if you get more worried out of hours.

I hope it IS a mouth ulcer and nothing more worrying, but no tingling?? :roll: odd.

Hope so

Love

Toni xx

Thought you wanted to be a garfield toy :?
  • tillytop
    Hi Carol

Like the others say doesn't sound very satisfactory. So I do think rheumy nurse conversation would be good in case it is some sort of allergic reaction.

Also I would have some antihistamines on hand just in case the swelling gets worse. I guess you could also take a big dose of steroids if it gets worse and/or scary before tomorrow, just to tide you over.

Please keep us posted.

Love Tilly x