Swinging the lead

jenzie06
jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
edited 30. Jul 2010, 14:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Do you know anyone who is a proper hypochondriac?

I find it really difficult to deal with when I speak to a friend who I know is swinging the lead. They always have something wrong with them and has even been signed off work but then is doing things that they shouldn't be able to with their medical condition (i.e riding a bike).

I feel quite sad for them as they obvious feel the need to make stuff up but when I'm really struggling with pain and fatigue then my patience is fairly short. Anyone got any suggestions for coping?

Comments

• marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jenzie

That's a difficult one. I know what you mean. I know several people who complain about the smallest ache or pain, and I find it so irritating that I have started to keep my distance from them and when I do speak to them I try to keep the conversation away from health issues!.

Hope other peeps come up with better suggestions for you, Jenzie.

Marion
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    They make me so angry. Feeble-minded, attention-seeking w****rs the lot of 'em, who unfortunately are given credibility by doctors. I know it is a recognised medical condition - oh to choose to be ill when one isn't. What luxury. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    I cannot stand people who do this. The genuine ones get disbelieved i never did this i know people who did. They take the Micky if they were really ill they wouldn't cope.

I wonder if this person is happy at their work?
    Some people just dont care u know this person so would know which they fall into.
    A lot used to take sickie to do Xmas shopping at our place it was laughed about amongst the youngsters. Just discussing.
    Joanne
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Jen

I have friends like this over the years.

One was such a hypo that when she had the big C we didn't beleive her :shock:

It is a silly thing to do as it's like crying wolf isn't i?> Docs will only go along so far before they start to realise it though....so time will tell eh?

What I do is keep my distance where possible...

Love

toni xx
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    It's so pathetic isn't it?

I also can't stand it when people feel they need to compete with your illness as well. They try to score points, I've even met peeps who do it with arthur!! Example:- My hands really hurt today, the saddo says yes mine hurt all the time and not only that I've been told that my arthur is very bad. I feel like strangling them when they then go into winge mode, they are sooo much worse than you!! :x

And I've even had a person try to compete with me over the number of tablets they have each day! GGrrrrr!!

Swinging the lead and claiming benefit is diabolical, how do they do it?

Janie
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I hate it when family members have to go to bed when they feel unwell. Many times I ve had to keep going when I am in pain and falling asleep on my feet.I get no such concern or respect.Get a headache and I still have to sit and supervise my children even when they are screaming and shouting.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    Hi - could you say to them after you have seen them riding a bike that you are so glad they are better as you couldnt even sit on a bike let alone ride one :!:

or like others have said - be a better person and just stay away from them. if this in not easy to do - then just not talk about illness and if they do make an excuse to leave and walk away :?:

something will happen that will make it right.

Louise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    i used to work with someone who used to alwAYS be going on what was wrong with her, me and a colleague used to say you could go thru alphabet a-z and she would have the lot. once we were out and shes being dramatic about stomach pains - if i feel that way i dont like to make fuss and would have quietly disappeared.
    made friend with a new colleague,v cheery and we were laughing cos we discovered both got same conditions and laughing at each other or should i say laughing together cos we r faling to bits!!

In those types of people i just nod and say e.g. oh dear when they go on cos alternative is saying shut up!
    person i mentined above used to arrive at work latest than rest of us knackered withkids to sort out in mornings when she livedby herself and nothing to get ready but herself-she irritated me.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    have one at work, leg hurting but you and i would suck it up and make appointment for non work time. she works mornings and two afternoons so plenty of time and has been going around all week ouch uch ow not risen to bait lol. yesterday afternoon she had to leave work to go docs because so bad sorry but when she forgot it she forgot to wince lol so not that bad she was upset with doc as got to have blood test and go back in two weeks lol did not give her anything for it will be shame if she starting with arther lol (should not wish that on any one i know but i not nice person) will have to work on that
    val
  • jenfa1
    jenfa1 Member Posts: 42
    ooh makes my blood boil, especially as all of us try to get on with life, cor if we started telling everyone our aches and pains everyday they would soon get bored of us. having a hidden condition sometimes is frustrating because people don't understand but I'm sure most of us just smile and get on with it!

Jen
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    tkachev wrote:
    I hate it when family members have to go to bed when they feel unwell. Many times I ve had to keep going when I am in pain and falling asleep on my feet.I get no such concern or respect.Get a headache and I still have to sit and supervise my children even when they are screaming and shouting.

Elizabeth

So relate to THAT one Elizabeth :x

Love

Toni xx
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Glad I'm not on my own!

Am planning on changing the subject asap. Determined not to play 'two sh*ts' (as hubbie calls it - you've had one, they have always had two!) and got someone else there to run interference.

I'm determined to surround myself with positive people rather than energy sapping ones.

Wish me luck!
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    You are so right Jen, some people can really drain you.
    Hugs anyway.

Love to you all,

Ix