Dragon voice activated software

marion1952
marion1952 Member Posts: 963
edited 7. Sep 2010, 18:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi folks

An Access to Work person phoned me today to arrange my workplace accessment and she mentioned 'Dragon voice activated software' because of the RA in my hands. Does anyone use this and is it any good?

Many thanks

Marion

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    marion1952 wrote:
    Hi folks

An Access to Work person phoned me today to arrange my workplace accessment and she mentioned 'Dragon voice activated software' because of the RA in my hands. Does anyone use this and is it any good?

Many thanks

Marion

HI Marion,

sorry I don't use this myself, but I have looked into getting it before now, and people did speak quite highly of it. I am still pondering whether I should get it, or something similar, as my hands do struggle at times. I'll be watching your thread with interest to see how you get on!

IF you do a search of the forums for 'voice activated software' you might find some older threads with good info.

I seem to remember one person had been provided this software through Access to Work, and had been sent on a course to learn how to use the software properly. She certainly recommended that course of action, so something you might like to ask about.

hope that helps a bit
    WOnky
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi Marion

I asked the helpline if there was anything I could use as my hands are so bad a well. They gave several good sites to look at. The Dragon one looks very interesting.

I'm now looking into this further as at times my hands are that bad I have to use a thick pencil to type with.

Hope you find something that suits you.

Love Trish xxx
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    I've used Dragon Naturally Speaking for some time and it has been excellent and easy to use. Rather than pay for the current version, I bought a previous one (v10) from a well known auction site for much less cost.

While it can be used, (and will work), straight out of the box with the headset/microphone, it is better to spend about half an hour training it to your voice to improve accuracy. You may still need to use a mouse and keyboard to help sometimes, but rarely.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • mummyb
    mummyb Member Posts: 1,231
    Hi Marion, I have Dragon Naturally Speaking on my computer at work (also recommended by the Access to Work people) I can highly recommend it, mine came with a training package of six sessions with a trainer who come and sat by me and showed me what to do, he also tweaked the system to my particular work needs. It has made a big difference to me as I have lots of reports to write. I'd be interested to hear how you go on with it if you go ahead. Good luck, Brenda xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    I've used Dragon Naturally Speaking for some time and it has been excellent and easy to use. Rather than pay for the current version, I bought a previous one (v10) from a well known auction site for much less cost.

Joseph 8)

that good idea joseph, would not have thought of it must be the blonde bit of me at it again lol
    val
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Marion,

I'm sure you'll find VA 'Dragon' a great hands free programme! I used it at work previously 'in the early days' of it's development and would love to have the new version at home.

ATW will also arrange one to one training so you'll be up and running with it very quickly.

let us know how you get on.:wink:

Iris xx
  • marion1952
    Thanks very much everyone .. that's really helpful..

Marion x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Iris/Joseph, would it work with this forum?

Joseph - did it cost much? (Thinking of Cris)

Sounds like you are getting all kitted out for work, Marion - there will be no stopping you!

Speedy

PS maybe I could get a voice operated robot to chase, pick up and tidy up after the children at school!! And to pick me up when i get stuck on those tiny chairs/the floor!!
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Speedy

it isn't much and Cris has had a look already - I think about £30-49 on those sites Joseph mentioned.

I think it might help her too - but her main prob is readinmg isnt it? I think this writes for you.

I think it's a great idea.

Love

Toni xx
  • jenfa1
    jenfa1 Member Posts: 42
    Hi
    Martin Lewis the moneysaving expert has RSI and only the other day on his facebook blog he was using it. He decided to speak and not correct it to show us how it did and to be honest I was impressed. I think it was the latest version you need to be in a quiet location to use it and some people said it didn't work well if you had a cold. To make it work properly you do need to put in a bit of time at the beginning to train it.

i think it was Dragon 10 but I could find out if you wanted to know.

Jen x
  • marion1952
    Hi Jen

That's really interesting!

I need to contact our Disability Support Officer at work and discuss it with her now. I gather from Access to Work that she has a CD that I can try out..

Honestly, I learn something new every day from this forum!
    Marion x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Marion,

From what I have found out Dragon is the best of them..... its got a few types but they start cheap enough and go well over a hundred. I need one that will read whats on the screen to me...... hey I need an android :lol::lol: I don't know as they would be cheap but if they could carry hay they would be worth it :wink:

Really hope it goes well for you and I have tried the free ones but they speak in American and I in Cornish and we have a big language problem though Tasti does get programs for me ok.

You have a good day and I so hope your hands are feeling a lot less sore/hurty today? ((())) and slurps to the girls Cris xx
  • jenfa1
    jenfa1 Member Posts: 42
    Just looked at Martin Lewis' blog and this is the program he was using

Dragon naturally speaking 10.1 he also said a headset with a good microphone is also worth while

you never know even if it doesn't help you someone else may be interested

Jen x
  • louise38
    louise38 Member Posts: 18
    I had Dragon V9 at work and it takes some getting used to. You have to spend quite a lot of time "training" it. I worked in Civil Engineering and they use different terminology and some of the suggestions it came up with for words were quite funny!

Be prepared to lock your self in a room when you first try it! Don't be embarrassed either!

Give it a go - what have you go to lose!

Lxx
  • dorcas
    There's quite a difference in costs between the Dragon V10 and the V10.1...almost £100.00 difference!

I will definitely get the slightly 'older' version once I know if it's compatible with the AC system. Have posted a question in the Tech Support & Feedback...but wondered if anyone else on the forum had been using it here?

Iris x
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    This post has been dictated using the Dragon system. So it does work well with the Forum, but it is best used on here in dictation mode.

If you use it in normal mode, it can sometimes try to move around the screen and click where you don't want it to or change pages. But you can just tell it to 'switch modes' and it will then do what it should do.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dorcas
    Thanks Joseph :D

that's very helpful!

Iris x
  • Wonkylegs
    just bumping this up for someone who wanted to know about the more technical aspects of DNS - hope this helps with who uses it on here :wink:
  • skezier
    Hi Wonky,

Have you got it now? I keep thinking I must... but the free ones I tried just don't seem to understand me at all! I know Vonski says its good and it can be trained but just wondered have you got it and used it and .... is it idiot proof?! Slurps and ((( ))) xx
  • Wonkylegs
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Wonky,

Have you got it now? I keep thinking I must... but the free ones I tried just don't seem to understand me at all! I know Vonski says its good and it can be trained but just wondered have you got it and used it and .... is it idiot proof?! Slurps and ((( ))) xx

not got it yet - need to get more RAM (computer memory not sheepsies :wink: ) sorted as our computer has far too little, and to decide whether to get the new one or a cheaper older version.

I definitely am going to try it though. Watched a demo on a shopping channel and it looked really easy ..... though they would make it look easy wouldn't they?! I did read about it on the maker's site and it did look as if the professional one did read text back, but don't quote me on that ....... you'd have to check it out.

I'll let you know when/if I get it and let you knwo if I kill it or not
    :wink:

hugs
    Wonky
  • skezier
    Hi Wonky,

I have become your stalker again :lol::lol:

I hope Vonski doesn't mind me saying she has it and says its very good. ( and huge hug to you Vonski) It may take up too much space for my pc... Its a old machine.... fully up dated and got a vid card etc but its still got a smallish processor... I have no idea what any of it means but it might not fit on this one......

More (((( )))) and slurps Cris xx