Tramadol and sweating

sharmaine
sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
edited 6. Aug 2010, 06:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

I've been blaming my heaving sweating on my new blood pressure medication. However, I got so fed up yesterday I did some research on tramadol and this is one of the side effects. It was becoming incredibly embarrassing. I've never sweated so much in my life.

I've been drenched within seconds of any exertion and changing my clothes 3 times a day. It's been 24 hours since I stopped the tramadol and no heavy sweating.

I'm in pain and will have to resort to taking co-dydramol. I'll see how this week goes with regards to pain and then ask GP to prescribe me something else.

Anybody else had this problem with Tramadol?

Sharmaine

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    No, but had the same problem with the menopause. It's miserable. I still sleep with a bath towel wrapped around my pillow and one to mop up. You have my sympathies sharmaine, I know the misery well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sharmaine
    Hi

I did wonder if this was due to the menopause. My mother sailed through the menopause and I hoped that I would. I went through the painful heavy menstrual stage a few years back.

I popped out yesterday to do some shopping and felt so miserable had to come home. I had on my thinnest coolest clothes all cotton/linen mix. The air conditioner on full blast but as soon as I started walking it felt as if every pore in my body had sprung a leak! My clothes were sticking to my body. My face was leaking etc. I ventured out again today and I was a lot better. I'm not going to take any Tramadols until Monday to see how it goes. I'm certainly cooler without the tramadol.

Being a woman is a pain in the bu.t sometimes.

Sharmaine

dreamdaisy wrote:
    No, but had the same problem with the menopause. It's miserable. I still sleep with a bath towel wrapped around my pillow and one to mop up. You have my sympathies sharmaine, I know the misery well. DD
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Sharmaine

I googled it too and found like you that sweating is a side effect specific to tramadol, due to its monoaminergic effects, and it can be quite distressing to a small number of patients. In rare situations, sweating may be severe enough to necessitate discontinuation.

It has been very hot lately but you probably know that this is not the reason why you are sweating so much and that it is, unfortunately, the tramadol.

Wonder what your gp will suggest.....

There is always something, isn't there? :roll: :)

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi Sharmaine

I have been sweating like that for a while now. When we wake up the bed has been soaked my side.

I go to the hospital and wear a cotton tee shirt and skirt everyone has jumpers and coat on other both on. Yet I sit there sweating away.

In the winter everyone is cold yet I sit in front of a fan.

Just lately I have taken to just sleep on top of the bed in a night dress while hubby is tucked under the duvet I can onloy see his head.

I don't take Tramodol though.

I can really feel for you as it is embarassing at times.

Trish xxx
  • thehiplady
    thehiplady Member Posts: 11
    Hi I took tramadol for a while pre- and post-op (hip replacement) and didn't sweat at all. Hope you're doctor can deal with this for you and find something better
    best wishes
    Pamela
  • dreamdaisy
    It sounds more menopausal to me - if it's not a rude question, how old are you? I went into full-blown meno at 48. DD
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hi Sharmaine, sorry you are feeling so miserable. You have all my sympathy. I don’t take Tramadol but have been having the same problem as you due to combination of early menopause and a pituitary abnormality. As you say, if you can manage without the Tramadol to prove that it is the cause you will then you will have some clear evidence to present to the GP. Hopefully he will then be able to prescribe an alternative.

Thinking of you.

Love Tilly xx
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    hi Sharmaine me too I had a hysterectomy last October and started the sweating and burning limbs not long after I take Tramadol if I really need it only but my Dr gave me dixarit for sweats which actually work I also take menopace and by far the best thing to stop the sweating right away is Nelsons Sepia 30c they are magic pills you suck homeopathic from Boots (the little green bottles )they are my life line and i have bottles in my bag next to my bed and all over the place never leave home with out them, mum used them and now i do and I recomend them to anyone with similar problem, my DR prescribes them for me , hope this helps :D
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Sharmaine - I kept having hot flushes on tramadol and sweating at night (amongst other side effects) and thought at first I was going through the change early, took me awhile to work out it all started at the same time as the tramodol. Although the tramadol was good for the pain, I couldn't hack the side effects and stopped taking them.

Hope you get to the bottom of this,

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • sharmaine
    Hi Elna

I'm generally the person who feels the cold! I've recently had some blood tests on a number of things just to rule out stuff. I'll call the surgery to see if they're back. I simply don't know what to blame it on. I've got to trial things for at least a week to see how things go.

I've noticed all my aches and pains big time since being off the tramadol but I can't continue like this. I've hated these past few months and it's making me very self conscious. It has been hot and that's all exacerbated the sweating!!

If it's not the tramadol then it's either the new blood pressure tablet or the menopause.

How are you doing?

Sharmaine
    X
    [
  • sharmaine
    Hi Trish

I've been sleeping on top of the bed too with a cotton sheet on top. OH says I'm like an oven!!

Glad to hear that I'm not the only feeling like this. It does make you feel self conscious.

Sharmaine
    X
  • sharmaine
    Hi Speedy

I'll see how I am next week. It's reassuring to know that you had similar problems with tramadol. This has been going on since April and I've been on 5 tramadols a day. At the beginning of June my GP also started me on a new BP pill I'll do my little experiment then go and see the GP.

Sharmaine
  • sharmaine
    Hi
    I'll look out for Nelson Sepia and give them a go - I'll see what my GP says first. I take so many other things!!!

Thanks for this.

Sharmaine

hi Sharmaine me too I had a hysterectomy last October and started the sweating and burning limbs not long after I take Tramadol if I really need it only but my Dr gave me dixarit for sweats which actually work I also take menopace and by far the best thing to stop the sweating right away is Nelsons Sepia 30c they are magic pills you suck homeopathic from Boots (the little green bottles )they are my life line and i have bottles in my bag next to my bed and all over the place never leave home with out them, mum used them and now i do and I recomend them to anyone with similar problem, my DR prescribes them for me , hope this helps :D
  • sharmaine
    Hi Tilly

Thanks for your sympathy. Since I've been like this I've had to change my hair style - I used to have a fringe but can't bear my hair around me. It's either up or pushed back with a headband.

I'll keep up the scientific experiment!

Sharmaine

tillytop wrote:
    Hi Sharmaine, sorry you are feeling so miserable. You have all my sympathy. I don’t take Tramadol but have been having the same problem as you due to combination of early menopause and a pituitary abnormality. As you say, if you can manage without the Tramadol to prove that it is the cause you will then you will have some clear evidence to present to the GP. Hopefully he will then be able to prescribe an alternative.

Thinking of you.

Love Tilly xx
  • tillytop
    Hi Sharmaine - I know exactly what you mean! I don't have very long hair but I kept trying to tie it up with a scarf just to keep it off my neck! Is it any better still now you are off the Tramadol? And are you coping without it? Hope so.

Love Tilly x
  • sharmaine
    Hi
    I'm 54 and was perimenopausal about 7 years ago. Women have enough to put up as it is!!! Never mind having arthur too.

I would be fine if I lived in the Arctic!

Sharmaine
    X

dreamdaisy wrote:
    It sounds more menopausal to me - if it's not a rude question, how old are you? I went into full-blown meno at 48. DD
  • tillytop
    Hey Sharmaine, I agree with you about the arctic! Perhaps we should set up a forum "cold room" where we could go to cool down whenever we need to!
    Love Tilly x
  • tillytop
    Like it rehab!!!

TIlly x :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    I think it's the menopause then sharmaine - you are at the right age for it: I was early-ish as I lost an ovary due to a cyst when I was 42. The symptoms could well be aggravated by the Tramadol tho. I am so sorry, I do remember the misery of it and I still get one or two blasts a day even now. Hang on in there - it will ease. DD
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, I have been sweating a lot but put it down to the hot weather. It's only about a few months since I started tramadol, which is working better than anything, (touch woo and fingers crossed :!: ).

I am better today, and its a lot cooler here but, I admit I have complained a lot more than usual and my husband, who usually feels the heat more than me, has been saying its not that bad, so maybe you've given me the answer. Its not as bad as you, though, and I wouldn't stop it, I think I must be on the edge, between being unable to take it and being OK! If that makes sense. :roll: I'm 55 but, on HRT, so no symptoms. Had a total hystorectomy at 30, so HRT was a must when I spoke to my gyny who got me on the piolet for the skin patches and I'm still on them. Bone scan was good a few months back, the technician said she could see I'd had HRT, I had such strong bones!!!

Thanks for the info.

Love Sue
  • sharmaine
    Hi Sue

I was refused HRT because of high blood pressure. I was in real pain last night and had to reach for the tramadol. Since ceasing the tramadol the heavy sweating has vanished. It is very effective in dealing with the pain. On tramadol I can walk and cope with the day...off tramadol I am in pain.

Even OH commented that I even felt cooler.

I think I'll call a halt to my experiment and see my GP for an alternative and which is hopefully as effective as tramadol.

Regards
    Sharmaine
  • sharmaine
    Hi Tilly

No, I'm not coping very well without it!!! I've had a miserable few nights and ended up taking a tramadol about 4 am this morning.
    With tramadol I can cope with the day and can walk without any problem without it I can't.

I think I'll just have to see my doctor.

Sharmaine
  • sharmaine
    Hi
    I had the alternative hysterectomy - can't recall its name something abalation about 7 years ago. I'm beginning to think that the tramadol although working on my pain only exacerbates menopausal symptoms that is if I am menopausal!

Sharmaine
  • ailsarobby
    ailsarobby Member Posts: 63
    hi Sharmaine,,, Ive been on tramadol for 7 weeks now,, prescibed 2 four times aday ....but ive stopped taking the last dose at night and take 2 co-codamol instead because the tramadol keeps me awake and only take the edge off the pain...I feel the cold all the time due to underactive thyroid but since starting on the tramadol sweating as become a problem, like you just doing something simple leaves me breathless and dripping wet....I too now have to put my hair in bobble away from my face...along with loose clothing, if ive been out the first thing I do when I get back home is sling the bra....lol....I had hysterectomy 2 years ago so the sweats and hot flushes could also be early menopose..who knows????? anyway hope you are feeling better soon I have not mentioned the hot flushes to my GP so not sure on any meds that will help let me know if gp gives you anything and I will keep you posted if gp gives me something.....hopefully it wont be a bar of soap!!!!!!!!!!!!!