Celebrities with arthritis

marion1952
marion1952 Member Posts: 963
edited 15. Aug 2010, 16:11 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi Folks

I've been trying to think about people in the public eye who have arthritis or have had joint replacements .. I've come up with the following:-

Kathleen Turner (actress) = RA
Dennis Potter (playwright) = PA
Actress in Last of the Summer WIne (can't remember name) = RA
Jack Nicklas (golfer) - OA
Pauline Quirke (Actress) = OA
Wayne Sleep (dancer) = OA
Queen Mother = OA
Elizabeth Taylor (actress) = OA
Jenni Murray (Radio presenter/author) = Avascular necrosis
Michael Jackson = ?? (his hands looked arthritic)

This doesn't seem very many.. Does anyone know any others? ..

Marion

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I thought there was a famous tennis player, Annabel Croft, but not so sure now as she didnt mention it in a recent article I read.

Nicky Tesco was in The members, I see his name on facebook arthritis care but not sure if its the same person or just a fan using his name and photo or even another Nicky Tesco.

The female head of channel 5 news was struck down with a form of arthritis recently. She had all the classic problems we experience such as not being able to move at the most awkward times and places(such as getting on a train).

Cant think of any more but very interesting topic Marion,

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    I hate it when you are out and suddenly, in the minute of trying to walk round a store, or getting up from a chair, you are completely locked up.
    People look at you as if you're stupid. They are impatient with you too. Won't get out of the way quick enough.

Trouble is, you don't know when it is going to happen.

How many times, when you go into a restaurant (not that many for me) or cafe, and the table and chairs are so packed in close together. You know you are too stiff to get round them and you are walking round looking for an easy one. Normally nearest the lou too!!

Joy
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I knew Kathleen Turner has RA, I saw her recently on an episode of Law and Order, the proper American one with Sam Waterson, and I thought she was looking pretty good, considering. That voice! Wow! I didn't know any of the others on your list. Michael J? Somehow I don't think so - even at the end when he couldn't move as well he could still move pretty well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    I've read that Bob Mortimer off 'Shooting Stars' has RA, whenever I see him on TV I always try and glimpse his hands just to check.

Terry Wogan has just had his hip replaced.

Charlie Williams (comedian) was riddled with RA in his later life and was very bitter about it.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • lindalegs
    Just remembered Christian Barnard (pioneering heart transplant surgeon) also had RA from being quite young and wrote a book about his experiences of it.

Love, Legs x
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,900
    Sebastian Coe athlete i read he has had a hip replacment.
    do you think it was all the running he did.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • marion1952
    Thanks very much folks - that's interesting .. I had forgotten about Christian Barnard - I remember now that he had to give up operating because of his hands.. I didn't know about the other people...

I remember now that the publicist, Max Clifford's, daughter has had severe RA for many many years and he has tried to raise the profile of it (she is not a celebrity though) ..

Marion
  • marion1952
    Hi again

I've just checked and Bob Mortimer does have RA .. that was news to me ..

I also remember a contestant called Rocky on last year's The Apprentice who had inflammatory arthritis in his knee which spoilt his chances of being a footballer ..

Didn't know about Seb Coe - he's a good advert for a hip replacement!

Marion
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I knew Kathleen Turner has RA, I saw her recently on an episode of Law and Order, the proper American one with Sam Waterson, and I thought she was looking pretty good, considering. That voice! Wow! I didn't know any of the others on your list. Michael J? Somehow I don't think so - even at the end when he couldn't move as well he could still move pretty well. DD

One of the meds he was on was hydroxy...??? Micheal Jackson that is...
  • lindalegs
    Claire King (ex Emmerdale/Bad Girls) actress is also supposed to have RA although she was a contestant on Strictly Come Dancing which caused a wobble or two on here in a thread in 2009 called Ex Emmerdale Actress. :?

Love, Legs x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I don't think that MJ was taking meds for a medical condition - apart from weirdness, if that counts. They seemed to be recreational for him. Nice to have the choice I suppose - take these poisons for fun or not at all? Let's go for fun!

We watched Shooting Stars last night - how the hell does Bob run about like that with RA? Whatever he's on I want some! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Ainsley Harriet has Ra. The chef.
    I read kathleen turners book it was good but it went on about her film roles more than Ra. Enjoyed the book though.
    Joanne
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Does Renoir count, who became crippled by RA? :?

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    elnafinn wrote:
    Does Renoir count, who became crippled by RA? :?

Elna x

I should think so Elna - blimey there's lOADS :shock:

Very talented bunch eh?
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Who, us, Toni? Well, you can't argue with that...

I didn't know so many famous people had RA either. And I agree, I really don't think Michael Jackson had it. He was just crippled mentally by his upbringing, he was always going to be weird, that one.

Nx
  • thisledome1
    thisledome1 Member Posts: 45
    Edith Piaf was also crippled with arthritis as well .

Jean
  • tkachev
    Edith Piaf was also crippled with arthritis as well .

Jean

Bet she had lots of regrets. Dear old Renoir too, I never knew that he was riddled with R.A.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elnafinn
    Christopher Columbus as well.

E x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • moogiemouse1
    moogiemouse1 Member Posts: 28
    Andy Bell (lead singer of Erasure) had Avascular Necrosis and has had a double hip replacement.
    Roy Keane (Footballer) had OA and a hip replacement.
    Zsa Zsa Gaboor Has OA and has had a hip replacement.
    Hulk Hogan has OA and has had practically everything replace but you can probably put that down as an occupation hazard!
  • elnafinn
    Has Lucille Ball been mentioned?
    Shaquille Rashun O'Neal
    James Braddock
    Aida Turturro
    Dave Prowse
    Jennie Garth's daughter Lola (JIA)
    Dorothy Hamill
    Meredith Boyd

I did some googling. Very interesting.

Elna x

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    lindalegs wrote:
    Claire King (ex Emmerdale/Bad Girls) actress is also supposed to have RA although she was a contestant on Strictly Come Dancing which caused a wobble or two on here in a thread in 2009 called Ex Emmerdale Actress. :?

Hi Legs - no wonder it caused a "wobble or two". I watched her dancing around in her high heels and thought "no way". Think I also read an interview with her in a mag and she said something about just struggling on regardless, as if it could just be brushed aside like a headache, or a cold. Maybe in her case it can but no wonder people don't understand.

Wouldn't it be good if one (or more) of these well known people with arthritis would actually stand up for "the cause"?

Love Tilly x
  • tkachev
    Yes you are so right Tilly.
    The actress Lysette Anthonyhas a very young son with arthritis, not sure what kind but he suffered very badly. I remember reading about him having an op- steroids were placed into his ankle, and his mum said he was running about after the op because the pain was so reduced.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    ninakang wrote:
    Who, us, Toni? Well, you can't argue with that...

I
    Nx

Absolutely Nina :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • marion1952
    Hi Folks

Many thanks indeed for your replies ..

I do remember now about Edith Piaf, Lucille Ball (RA) and James Coburn (RA).. I also now remember reading about Lysette Anthony's young son being on methotrexate and that her mother also had RA.. I didn't know about the other people though..

Marion x
  • barbara01
    barbara01 Member Posts: 85
    Hi all just found this very interesting - I have heard Martina Cole and Maeve Binchy both have some form of Arthritis - Martina Cole I'm pretty sure has RA.
    Barbara