Guilty Secret

elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 31. Jul 2010, 09:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I must be brave to be disclosing this secret on this here forum but here goes.....

Last night was watching Childrens Hospital on ITV and the little girl having an op to fill a gap in her top gum.....This was as she was getting nearer to her op time she was crying and then walked down to theatre with her lil dolly in her arms,clutching it to her chest....Now even at my tender age (41)!!!! When i went into hospital in march this year i sneaked in my holdall my own little companion, beany frog Sol....I get like that girl too bubbling like a fountain and before my pre med asked could I take Sol to operating theatre with me....They were very good and the porter even shouted to me when my time came "we are here for Elaine Watson and one frog".......He was there when they put me under and there when i woke up.....

I know im too old, but it does help me andif i ever get a TKR beleive me Sol is coming too, come hell or high water!!!

Anyway yous can all laugh but Ive disclosed it now........

Elaine :lol:

Comments

• joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think that's wonderful. You see, hospital staff are full of good hearts are they not?

Hope the op went well

Joy
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Joy

Yeah they were good that day, treating me like a big kid....Had an arthroscopy which was okay, hasnt helped my knee....pushing for TKR but too young...

Elaine

quote="joyful164"]I think that's wonderful. You see, hospital staff are full of good hearts are they not?

Hope the op went well

Joy[/quote]
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Elaine!!!

I love you!!!

You have a beany frog :)r015.gif

Good taste :D

I have it on good authority that your frog loves you too :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Awwwwww Elaine
    I love it....I have a little teddy form my childhood...am now 60..he was always there when I had nightmares...still have them..when I have my THR i will take him with me :):)
    thankyou for that see you are not alone :)
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi
    :lol::lol: Well, you made me smile! I wanted to wear my lipstick but was told to take off any make up when I had my TKR! Funny what we do to make us feel strong/comfortable/confident!

Sharmaine

Hi

I must be brave to be disclosing this secret on this here forum but here goes.....

Last night was watching Childrens Hospital on ITV and the little girl having an op to fill a gap in her top gum.....This was as she was getting nearer to her op time she was crying and then walked down to theatre with her lil dolly in her arms,clutching it to her chest....Now even at my tender age (41)!!!! When i went into hospital in march this year i sneaked in my holdall my own little companion, beany frog Sol....I get like that girl too bubbling like a fountain and before my pre med asked could I take Sol to operating theatre with me....They were very good and the porter even shouted to me when my time came "we are here for Elaine Watson and one frog".......He was there when they put me under and there when i woke up.....

I know im too old, but it does help me andif i ever get a TKR beleive me Sol is coming too, come hell or high water!!!

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I'm not laughing - we all need different things to get us through and if your frog is yours that's fine. Some things are not easy to face and courage has to be found from somewhere. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Toni

Yes I got me beany frog, he was called Prince originally, had his TY tag and that has long since worn off......He goes everywhere with me and is my constant good luck charm......I called him Sol after a footballer but I like it better than Prince.....

Barking eh........ :mrgreen:

Elaine

Did he tell you he loves me too?? LOL!!
    frogmorton wrote:
    Elaine!!!

I love you!!!

You have a beany frog :)r015.gif

Good taste :D

I have it on good authority that your frog loves you too :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • elainebadknee
    HI Barbara

Aww see you see youre a woman after my own heart...Your teddy too eh?? Will someone put a bandage on him I wonder or is that taking it too far.......

Im happy not to be alone in my gs....

Elaine :mrgreen:
    barbara12 wrote:
    Awwwwww Elaine
    I love it....I have a little teddy form my childhood...am now 60..he was always there when I had nightmares...still have them..when I have my THR i will take him with me :):)
    thankyou for that see you are not alone :)
    Love
    Barbara x
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Sharmaine

So did they let you wear your lipstick? Id have taken in some lip gloss of a not so obvious shade......I tell you what i never wear in hospital ...them paper knicks!!! Always say they dont fit me and wear me own, normally pink with lovehearts on....**** it!!

Elaine :-0
    sharmaine wrote:
    Hi
    :lol::lol: Well, you made me smile! I wanted to wear my lipstick but was told to take off any make up when I had my TKR! Funny what we do to make us feel strong/comfortable/confident!

Sharmaine

Hi

• elainebadknee
    Absolutely and what harm am I doing? Plus he had a bath before he went into the holdall too so he was free from bacteria......

Elaine
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I'm not laughing - we all need different things to get us through and if your frog is yours that's fine. Some things are not easy to face and courage has to be found from somewhere. DD
  • jenfa1
    jenfa1 Member Posts: 42
    loved this, my friend had her first chemo yesterday and my 8 year old son took me to the shops today, we bought a little panda for her to take to hospital on the days she is in, and an orangatang for her partner who will be sitting at home twiddling her thumbs, sometimes we all need something to look after that scared little child inside us xx
  • elainebadknee
    Jenfa

Couldnt have described it any better myself, that is exactly what I was trying to say in my Elaine way.....What a lovely thought for your friend and her partner...your son is a gem....

Elaine
    jenfa1 wrote:
    loved this, my friend had her first chemo yesterday and my 8 year old son took me to the shops today, we bought a little panda for her to take to hospital on the days she is in, and an orangatang for her partner who will be sitting at home twiddling her thumbs, sometimes we all need something to look after that scared little child inside us xx
  • sharmaine
    Hi
    I went in with knickers on but came out of theatre without any. I wonder why they took them off??? They were in a plastic bag by my bed when I woke up. The nurse told me to leave them on as they were doing a TKR and not a hysterectomy!!!

Anyway, it's a question I'm not in a hurry to get answered. I was too embarrased to ask who took my pants off in theatre?

XX
    Sharmaine

Hi

[/quote][/quote]
  • elainebadknee
    HI Sharmaine

Ha. so you went in for a TKR but also had a knicker knabber (sorry, little things please little minds eh).....God I wouldnt want anyone near me there, OMG, I mean what if one didnt wax, etc??? theyd think they was operating on a blinking gorilla!!!! Or is that just me?

Classic, love it...

(ps cant let the frog know about knicker lark.he'd be shocked)...

Elaine :P
    sharmaine wrote:
    Hi
    I went in with knickers on but came out of theatre without any. I wonder why they took them off??? They were in a plastic bag by my bed when I woke up. The nurse told me to leave them on as they were doing a TKR and not a hysterectomy!!!

Anyway, it's a question I'm not in a hurry to get answered. I was too embarrased to ask who took my pants off in theatre?

XX
    Sharmaine

Hi

[/quote][/quote]
  • sharmaine
    Hi

I made sure all areas were trimmed and tidied before the op. I was moisturising for days before my TKR.

It is bloomin embarrassing going into hospital at the best of times.

I had a male nurse and I couldn't even look him when I had to ask for a bed pan.

Anyway that episode is over until I have the next TKR.
    At least you have your little frog for comfort.

Sharmaine
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Sharmaine

God must remember that then if ever in hospital again...Must admit last thing on my mind would have been attending to that........
    Embarassing when you get male nurses aint it? I had one when had first op but he was quite funny and actually camp, he used to blush and run off saying "oh my god dont show me any legs"...I was only about 19 at time mind so wasnt as self conscious as am now.....

Elaine
    sharmaine wrote:
    Hi

I made sure all areas were trimmed and tidied before the op. I was moisturising for days before my TKR.

It is bloomin embarrassing going into hospital at the best of times.

I had a male nurse and I couldn't even look him when I had to ask for a bed pan.

Anyway that episode is over until I have the next TKR.
    At least you have your little frog for comfort.

Sharmaine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Toni

:

Elaine

frogmorton wrote:
    Elaine!!!

Oh yes Elaine

he DID!! :wink:
  • elainebadknee
    He is a clever little dude!!!Wonder if he's psychic like that octopus Paul?

:-)

Elaine
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Toni

:

Elaine

frogmorton wrote:
    Elaine!!!

Oh yes Elaine

he DID!! :wink:
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Hi

oh well who cares if it helps you get through what ever you got to face, i think if we are all honest we all have something we find really specail that we turn to to comfort us, you know what they say a girls got to do what a girls's got to do, and to hell with what people think.
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Wasnt that lovely of them to give you your soother? caring side of nhs...i remember a male auxilliary realy cheering me up with his jokes.
  • elainebadknee
    Absolutely and if it makes the process a touch better for the patient who really cares who sees me or not? We all need a little something....

Elaine
    only49 wrote:
    Hi

oh well who cares if it helps you get through what ever you got to face, i think if we are all honest we all have something we find really specail that we turn to to comfort us, you know what they say a girls got to do what a girls's got to do, and to hell with what people think.
  • elainebadknee
    Well you need something dont you even if its just little things like that....I remember too the anaesthestist answering me when i was concerned about my weight and undergoing a general he said I wasnt grossly overweight and was about average to him....

Elaine
    oneday wrote:
    Wasnt that lovely of them to give you your soother? caring side of nhs...i remember a male auxilliary realy cheering me up with his jokes.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Hi

bagpuss would be coming with me :D:D:D:D:D
    val
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    OMG! I also took my beany frog, James, when I had my gall bladder op nearly 4 years ago. I was 29 at the time and didn't even think it might be odd to take him. These days he belongs to my daughter and she takes him to hospital for when she has to have blood draws done. She's so brave and they always give James, now called Froggy, a bandage as well. :D
  • elainebadknee
    Well done you, but mind I was older than you at 41 so bet they thought id come in from local looney bin!!!

Beany frogz rules..........

Elaine
    c4thyg wrote:
    OMG! I also took my beany frog, James, when I had my gall bladder op nearly 4 years ago. I was 29 at the time and didn't even think it might be odd to take him. These days he belongs to my daughter and she takes him to hospital for when she has to have blood draws done. She's so brave and they always give James, now called Froggy, a bandage as well. :D