Flabbergasted !!!!!!!!

suncatcher
suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
edited 3. Aug 2010, 12:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I have just been to a physiotherapist just to check i was doing the right exercise but it felt like the interview i had where they took my benefits away well it felt like it any way.
I told em where i found i had weak ness she basically told me i was unfit and was underestimating myself and i should set my goals higher. And make getting fit my goal.
I was quized on why i had to give up my job 3 years ago. I told her i used to help severely physically handicapped people and mentally and could not physically do job. What about shop work its pysically demanding not on till you have to turn on the till and its stress full. no not really. she said.
I have had lots of teachers in don't you think there job is pysically and mentally stress ful they do ok they had ra .
I told her about eys and depression she didnt say anything about eyes but said i suppose depression would make you unreliable.
oh so you dont tick all the usual boxs then. your very young to be out of work you shouldnt be at home and it would give you something to do. oh i suppose it up to you and the tribunal to sort it out anyway.
I only got taught two exercises i was examined and told i was pretty good just unfit.
She knew i had ra ect i said its tiring i bet she said. Yes but your condition is under control. It is now only for last six months they have been battling for 5 years and 5 drugs later they have succeeded.

I dont think i have a chance of winning the appeal. The physio isnt for that just to check i was doing right excercise and thats what i got. If the people at appeal are like this ive no chance.
I did do shop work once so know exactly how tiring and physically demanding and stress full it is. and im not clever enough to be a teacher and ive never heard anyone compare a teachers job against a shop job before. Im flabbergasted!!!!!
Joanne

Comments

• oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    idiots!
    comments
    i dont work in a shop but wouldnt have thought thats a good idea as you spend most of the time stood up if you work in one
    physio obviously clueless..
    i remember going to physio exercise classes for people with bad backs..they were pleasant but lots of them i woudnt do as i know whats going to set my back off. also there was an exercise bike and not once did phsyio say to make adjustments to bike for each of us i.e. we are different heights etc and seat positon etc not right for all of us,even at gym (i shoud go to!) they tell you to adjust to own needs etc..
    she wasnt helpful to you. you know what you can and cant do,try not to take it to heart....flippin idiot.
  • suncatcher
    Thanks i wont she told me to go on a cross trainer i would soon get fit what is that? does anyone go on one?
    Joanne
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    i hope you told her that not what you came for if you had not wanted to improve your fitness you would not have asked for her help in the first place silly person hate people like that keep going do not let her get to you fingers are crossed that she not on any benifit boards that all we need hope she gets it then she might understand val
    val
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    I am flabbergasted too how dare she, I have r/a and worked in retail and could no longer do it I also know of teachers with r/a and have had to stop working. I am so sorry she made you feel bad she sounds very unprofessional.

Julie x
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • oneday
    suncatcher wrote:
    Thanks i wont she told me to go on a cross trainer i would soon get fit what is that? does anyone go on one?

imagine you are on skis! same sort of thing....instead of a running machine, its like a ski machine, you put feet in two moving pads like trays and arms hold two bars..you look like youre doing walk with skis on...if you get my drift (drift, snow drift haa haa.....i am bit mad tonight - think i am tired)...
  • suncatcher
    oneday wrote:
    suncatcher wrote:

imagine you are on skis! same sort of thing....instead of a running machine, its like a ski machine, you put feet in two moving pads like trays and arms hold two bars..you look like youre doing walk with skis on...if you get my drift (drift, snow drift haa haa.....i am bit mad tonight - think i am tired)...

I am exhausted reading this let alone trying it at the gym. The fitness instructer only lets me use 5 pieces in gym that isnt one of em.
    The woman must be mad who i saw. thanks anyway
    Joanne
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Dear Joanne

This is really disgraceful. She shouldn't be doing a job like that as she clearly has no idea what it's like to have RA. It wasn't her job to make comments like that anyway - she should have stuck to advising you about exercises! I am really upset for you - you can do without these kind of stupid comments....

I hope you will be able to put this silly person's opinions behind you Joanne and not dwell on it too much ..

Marion x
  • suncatcher
    snowball wrote:
    I am flabbergasted too how dare she, I have r/a and worked in retail and could no longer do it I also know of teachers with r/a and have had to stop working. I am so sorry she made you feel bad she sounds very unprofessional.

Julie x
    Im going to tell my nurse. Im going there 5 th August. A lot of people have sided with the government but to have professionals saying things is devastating.Thanks for replying
    Joanne
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    That's a good idea to tell the nurse Joanne..

Honestly - words almost fail me... My RA is moderatly well controlled at the moment but I still can't stand for more than a few minutes in shop queues, never mind stand behind a till for hours. Also, no way could I cope with the physical demands of being a teacher ..

Take care

Marion
  • Rainbow77
    Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
    Hi Joanne

Have you thought about writing a letter of complaint? I know it is a hassle and you feel really angry, but if you let these people get away with this, they will not learn.

It does not have to be aggressive, but you could write and tell her how bad she made you feel and you felt that she had no understanding of your condition.

I think it would make her stop and think and if you don't, then she won't know. It is just an idea. I would find out who her manager is and send it to them. Make sure it is factual, She said this and I said this and this made me feel ......

Take care

Fayann xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Aw dear Joanne

I do not think she is even fit to be a physio if she has absolutely no idea about arthritis and how debilitating it can be. Let alone, spouting forth what she did, when again she clearly had no idea what she was talking about.

I agree it would be a good idea, if you feel up to it, to put pen to paper detailing events, which should be precise and to the point, preferably bullet pointed, so that the person reading it finds it easy to digest. Send out copies to everyone you can think of - ie your rheumi nurse for one.

Goodness me, you are getting a few knocks lately and you most definately do not need them, they are totally unnecessary.

Love and gentle hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    thats disgraceful behaviour she would be a danger to some one who unlike you is not as strong and it could cause so many problems like depression, they tried physio for my bad back years ago (spondelothesis), it helped for a few days but the pain always came back worse so I said no more , I like to feel I am always in control of my health despite having OA in practically all my joints, bad back and weak arm and leg (SMA) and thinking about work there is really nothing i would be able to do, cannot stand or sit for long cannot use weakend arm painful wrist and hands cannot grip get the picture, at times I would like to get out and mix more with others but I know its just not possible I'm likely to need numerous ops on my joints and back, it took me a while but I accept it now and no ones going to tell me otherwise, I think you need another physio, this ones got no compassion :(
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Joanne,

She was totally out or order and out of her depth and are you sure she was actually a physio?! So stupid to talk to you that way and her logic.... well my sheep have better than her! Please don't let it get to you and leaving you a ((( ))) Luv Cris xx
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    Hi - I think you should write a letter of complaint :x

I am a teacher - well was a teacher :( I was teaching 14year olds - 17 year olds and could only manage 3 days a week. I had to go down from fulltime to 3 days as couldnt manage it :( And i'm not sure I can do it anymore :oops: :cry:

she doesnt know a thing about what we have to go through :!:
    but I would still complain.

(((((hugs)))))) for you
    Louise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • oneday
    work...i have spondylolithesis (1 step up so to speak from lavenders spondy word!) rsi and oa. i work part time in an office, i cant sit or stand for long either so i have longer breaks i.e. i get up and walk about for say 5 mins for my back and stop using vdu regularly and do another aspect of work to relieve repetitive use of hands. i manage to get on site parking as said somedays i can hardly walk and if had to use public car park which is further away the pain would be too much and i would be off sick. incidentially sick rules v strict and get threathened with dismissal so worried about being off. employer ok about breaks etc as OH told me i had to have them...
    i think only the person themselves knows their own limits as we are all different, some medical person may suggest things but they cant know what you feel and criticising isnt going to help but make people feel inadquate.
    like peeps say i would write a letter of complaint.
  • jenfa1
    jenfa1 Member Posts: 42
    Hey poor you, as if having a condition is not bad enough.

I know sometimes I question myself when I ask for help lifting things or don't do jobs around the house, am I being lazy and yes that is true sometimes! and sometimes it is down to lack of confidence after not being able to do stuff on bad days and most of the time it is that I have learnt it is not good for my body to do the job.

Only you know how you feel

The trouble with an employer (I am an ex senior HR manager) is that they need consistency and reliability, there will be some of us that could maybe work 5 days a week and not do anything the other 2 or when we come home from work, there are others that can work on a good day and not a bad. so how do you manage that? most jobs you can't there are only so many adjustments that can be made after all most companies want to make a profit not subsidise society.

I don't know much about the benefits or care allowance but I expect they don't live in the real world well our world.

if you want to complain then do or just try and move on so it doesn't anger you and make you worse :0)

Jen x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    JOANNE!!!!!!!!!

I am FUMING!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you are over this by now?

I am dreading going now - i am on the waiting list.

What thing to say - cross trainer???!!! :shock: They are EVIL things!!! Swimming fair enough but CROSS TRAINER!! :shock:

You get on to the team like the others suggest and well I am still shocked.

Joanne

You have done amazingly well with all you have had to contend with - do not let her knock your self-esteem :x

Love

and hugs

Toni xx
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi

You would think your physiotherapist would have been more sympathetic. I think the government is on a crusade to get people on disability benefits back to work and soon. The coffers of money are not as available as they used to be. Billions given to banks who are only interested in lining their own pockets and expensive wars. They've probably been briefed not to support arthur sufferers, who knows? The newspapers don't help... they seem to support the government.

Teachers may not have full blown arthur and what right has this physiotherapist have to compare you? She's not a GP.

No wonder you are surprised. Have you thought about writing a complaint?

Some people are pretty ignorant.
    :x :cry:
    Sharmaine
  • suncatcher
    Thank you all for your wonderful comments it has meant a lot. It left me shell shocked. I have been getting a few knocks as everyone has an opinion. I certainly am not unreliable like she said. I always take my son to school and have gone through a lot to improve my life. How anyone can make a judgement on a person who i only saw for 15 minuits is beyond me. I was expecting more i think i will ask for another appointment with someone else im certaily going to tell my nurse.
    I just want my tribunal here im going to phone again today i just want to know where i stand. Just sick of waiting and people saying aint you heard yet. and passing comments. thanks again it means a lot x joanne
    Joanne
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Sounds like one of those people who go the route 'School to University to Physio'. Never employed outside those limits, no real knowledge of the world of work.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Joanne

Joseph is right - she probably doen't know what 'work' is like in different venues. Thinks its all easy :roll:

You do speak to your nurse about the unhelpful and hurtful comments. She might be able to get you someone else.

I wouldnt have said you were unreliable either. In fact the reverse. Your committment to your son is enormous.

The tribunal will be here soon I hope - try hard very hard not to worry about it. I know that's easy for me to say.

Joanne you have come a long way - dont let this set you back

Love

Toni xx
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Thats horrendous treatment.

I would complain, really I would.

This phsyco, sorry physio, has learned her stuff
    from text books and thinks that everyone is a
    sportsperson who they have to treat for an injury.

You have an ILLNESS for goodness sake.

I got in the hands of a really bad physio one time and I had
    to make a complaint about her, so I dont take any
    'carp' from any of them these days, it made me much
    stronger mentally.

They just dont have a clue and to my mind they are
    in the wrong job, and strangely I have always thought
    that the women physios were the worst, you would expect
    them to be more understanding of limitations etc.

You sure this one wasnt one of the cleaners filling in
    on the physio dept Joanne. :roll:

What a CLUELESS person you got.

Hope you feel fair'ish today.

Love Kath x
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hi Joanne, so sorry you had such an awful appointment at the physio. I can't add anything to what the others have said but I do know how an appointment like this can eat away at you and, if you are anything like me, you will just go over and over it in your mind.
    My husbands advice to me is always: decide, what, if anything you are going to do about it (eg write a letter of complaint) and then try to forget it or you will drive yourself mad. Difficult, I know, but good advice.
    Thinking of you.
    Love Tilly x
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    tillytop wrote:
    My husbands advice to me is always: decide, what, if anything you are going to do about it (eg write a letter of complaint) and then try to forget it or you will drive yourself mad. Difficult, I know, but good advice.
    Thinking of you.
    Love Tilly x

Excellent advice from your husband Tilly.

Kath
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Joanne

Sorry to see this. What a horrible appointment with such an idiot physio who clearly doesn't know you. Do hope you do complain about her attitude towards you. Most unprofessional to have left you feeling so shell shocked and down with her ridiculous questions. Hoping today is a better day for you. Hang in there. ((( )))

Chris