Spitting Feathers

elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 30. Jul 2010, 14:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

Today Im quite angry. As folk will know I underwent arthoscopy in March as have oesteochondritis dissecans, have had since age of 18, told would need a new knee age of 40. 40 came and went, no probs, 41 came and knee got worse....Was offered kneecap removal after arthoscopy, went back to surgeonhe initially saw me then told me to come back in 6 weeks time (June 21) for my decision, told him did not want this as couild not find positive things about this procedure.
Saw doc and she referred me to Wrightington. Rang up choose n book, was told would get app within 2 weeks. 3 weeks has now passed so chased it up. Surgery told me to keep trying choose n book, they in turn told me to chase up with practise manager or doc, told them I had. Finally gets number of Wrightington they told me Im on list but its an 8 week waiting time just for app. That is fair enough but I feel the surgeon at WGH wasted my time with that 6 week waiting time for a procedure he knew I didnt want.
I need a new knee, and im angry today and frustrated cos I feel like a human pinball, everyone referring me here there and everywhere....Im now hopping like mad when |I get out of bed, cant put wieght on knee and its getting wprse, even at hydrtherapy pool last night pool attendant noted how bad i was limping n struggl;ingOh and get this asked re private consultation cos my folks said they would pay for one...Told that I would need to speak to surgeon's secretary I was assigned to (which right now is zilch).....Im well n truly hacked off....

Sorry....but feel its justified, this...

Elaine

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Elaine

If you wish to go privately I thought that you got a referral letter from your GP to the consultant of your choice, you ring his secretary to arrange an appointment, discuss op at appointment (if he thinks you are bad enough or you tell him you are) and an op date given to you of your choice.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elainebadknee
    Elna

I havent got a letter it just the general thing everyone gets which is choose n book or else I would know which consultant to contact. I take it doctor doesnt know or she would....Cant say Wrightington were very helpful either....

Elaine
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Elaine

If you wish to go privately I thought that you got a referral letter from your GP to the consultant of your choice, you ring his secretary to arrange an appointment, discuss op at appointment (if he thinks you are bad enough or you tell him you are) and an op date given to you of your choice.

Luv
    Elna x
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Gp should give you names of good consultants...if you know of a private hospital check out their website..on there will be consultants names and bit of resume about each one...if you think one sounds ok perhaps ask gp is they know if any good etc? To get private appt as Elna says all you do is ask (demand nicely if not forthcoming!) for letter explaining your problem. Going private means you do all the chasing ie. when you know consultant you want you have to call his secretary direct, he probably has two secs, one nhs and one private so you want to contact the private one who arranges appt, usually within 2 weeks!
    good luck.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Oh Elaine!
    that's just awful... :( what a waste of time. I'm so sorry to hear that your knee is getting increasingly painful.

No wonder you're angry :!:

I thought the same as Elna that to get a private appointment all you needed was a referral letter from your GP?
    There can't be that many knee surgeons at Worthington hosp.....your GP could easily find out, or may be you could phone the hospital and ask ?

Iris xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Gps do not mind writing a referral letter to the consultant of your choice or one they recommend if you do not know the best one around. They are happy to do it, they have nothing to lose, you are paying.

E x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oh Elaine :(

You poor thing :(

You have been well and truly mucked about haven't you??

aS eLNA SAID GET YOUR gp TO REFER YOU TO THE PRIVATE ONe (sorry caps lock not shouting :oops: ) of your choice and get seen asap.

You take care

Love

Toni xx
  • elainebadknee
    Well I dont want to go private as out of principle I beleive the NHS should provide us with reasonable healthcare. Its only cos my mum and dad who are both in the late 70's can see how much my life is being affected that they offered to pay for a consultation. They said a TKR would clear them out completely but i wouldnt put them in that situation even if we had money.

Thanks for advice.

Elaine
    oneday wrote:
    Gp should give you names of good consultants...if you know of a private hospital check out their website..on there will be consultants names and bit of resume about each one...if you think one sounds ok perhaps ask gp is they know if any good etc? To get private appt as Elna says all you do is ask (demand nicely if not forthcoming!) for letter explaining your problem. Going private means you do all the chasing ie. when you know consultant you want you have to call his secretary direct, he probably has two secs, one nhs and one private so you want to contact the private one who arranges appt, usually within 2 weeks!
    good luck.
  • elainebadknee
    Iris

Im sure it was time wasting on the consultants behalf at WGH, he knew I didnt want kneecap removed and he knew he wouldnt budge and inch to give me a TKR...He also must have known what waiting lists were like elsewhere.....Im quite annoyed at him for being so dismissive.....
    My knee is getting worse, even drove car today through slow traffic and every time changed gear, leg clicked, then when got out of car it felt so weak.....
    I want the help I should be getting, im just an ordinary person, dont have heaps of money but my parents can see how bad my knee is getting and they dont want me to suffer....Im in a catch 22 situation .....

Elaine
    dorcas wrote:
    Oh Elaine!
    that's just awful... :( what a waste of time. I'm so sorry to hear that your knee is getting increasingly painful.

No wonder you're angry :!:

I thought the same as Elna that to get a private appointment all you needed was a referral letter from your GP?
    There can't be that many knee surgeons at Worthington hosp.....your GP could easily find out, or may be you could phone the hospital and ask ?

Iris xx
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Toni

Well yes I feel like the human pinball, just refer her here, tell her we can only do kneecap removal, be fine.......

Well its not fine and I want a life back.........

Ive explained to other re private thing....Its a desperation measure but not something I can condone or can ill afford.

Elaine
    frogmorton wrote:
    Oh Elaine :(

You poor thing :(

You have been well and truly mucked about haven't you??

aS eLNA SAID GET YOUR gp TO REFER YOU TO THE PRIVATE ONe (sorry caps lock not shouting :oops: ) of your choice and get seen asap.

You take care

Love

Toni xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Elaine,

Ohh - how frustrating.

If you make sure the consultant you go to see privately also does NHS work - you could see him privately for the initial consultation (waiting time will be less than 8 weeks) and then get put on to the NHS list for the op (usual waiting time - and will depend on how urgently you need it ) but would speed things up by a couple of months overall.

You should be able to find a list of orthos and whether they do private or NHS or both on the internet.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.