One for the ladies

c4thyg
c4thyg Member Posts: 542
edited 30. Jul 2010, 13:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm wondering if anyone with the inflammatory types of arthritis notices that it gets worse just before or around the time of your period? I think I'm seeing a pattern as I get worse around the time of my impending migraines that are also cyclic. I don't think it's a flare as I don't have that all over fatigue that I get with a flare. Just wondering. :)

Comments

• sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi

I used to have periods that were very heavy and extremely painful. Sometimes they last six weeks. I had an operation to stop them completely. When I did have my period I was in agony. Once I fainted in Tescos because of it. The only thing I could do was lie down and take Neurofen. It appears that x rays I had done about 7/8 years ago confirmed OA but my GP never gave me the results so I went untreated for a very long time.

I know exactly what you're going through. See your GP for more effective pain relief.

Sharmaine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Cathy

I told the surgeon who did my back op that I was in more pain that time of the month....

He reassured me that I was not alone and lots of people said the same (women I expect :oops: ).

Personally I think it's that my pain tolerance is 'down' at taht time of the month. That IS a personal opinion honestly because it's not a flare.

LOve

Toni xx
  • c4thyg
    I wondered if it was due to water retention. I get that anyway but now my joints are swollen as well it seems that there might be extra fluid/swelling in them. I wish I could take anti-inflammatories but being a haemophiliac with active bleeding that would be stupid! I avoid painkillers as much as possible as I find the spaced out feeling even worse. I don't feel like I can be responsible as a mum then. I'm not overly concerned as I'm used to it but wondered more out of curiosity.

Cheers ladies. :)
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    I think it's something to do with a drop in oestrogen just before a period starts and that makes us more sensitive to pain.

They do say to avoid leg waxes just before or during a period!

When I come back in another life, it's definitely not as a woman!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    wibberley wrote:
    I think it's something to do with a drop in oestrogen just before a period starts and that makes us more sensitive to pain.

They do say to avoid leg waxes just before or during a period!

When I come back in another life, it's definitely not as a woman!

:shock:
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Arthritis is estrogen based that's why more women get it than men and it's the change in your hormone levels when you have a period that makes you feel worse than normal.

It also explains why women contract arthritis more often during puberty, after childbirth and during the menopause.

Hope this helps.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi, I have OA and I have my aches and pains are worse in the lead up and at the start of my period .... which annoyingly comes every 3 weeks ...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • c4thyg
    That would explain why I got arthritis straight after my daughter was born. Can't wait til she's old enough to look after me for a change! :)