Does anybody else have marks on arms from regular blood test

Options
clarelouise1
clarelouise1 Member Posts: 43
edited 31. Jul 2010, 15:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

It seems the NHS have yet again neglected to tell me yet more side effects of this awful condition (I have RA). Not only have I now got a large (permanent) hole in my buttocks from steroid injections, I now have what looks like track marks on my arm - presumably from regular blood tests. Does anyone else have this? So now in addition to limping and struggling I look like a drug addict!! I'm only 35 and work in an office so its not a good look. Does anyone else have a similar problem and is there any way to get rid of them? Sorry to moan, just having a bad day, I have recently started on biological treatment and just feeling down :0( xxx

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi clairelouise

so sorry you've had a bad day!

I have those 'track marks' too and I know what you mean by thinking they make you look like a drug addict. :( :roll:

I've no idea whether there's anything you can do other than ask the nurse not to always go into the same vein ...they do seem to have a favourite don't they. Mine is my left arm...and I have jokingly said to the nurse that all she has to do is just to ask that vein for blood and it will oblige without the need for a needle!

I do hope that your anti tnf works wonders for you in beating the RA..... please let us know how you get on.

Iris xxx
  • clarelouise1
    clarelouise1 Member Posts: 43
    Options
    dorcas wrote:
    Hi clairelouise

so sorry you've had a bad day!

I have those 'track marks' too and I know what you mean by thinking they make you look like a drug addict. :( :roll:

I've no idea whether there's anything you can do other than ask the nurse not to always go into the same vein ...they do seem to have a favourite don't they. Mine is my left arm...and I have jokingly said to the nurse that all she has to do is just to ask that vein for blood and it will oblige without the need for a needle!

I do hope that your anti tnf works wonders for you in beating the RA..... please let us know how you get on.

Iris xxx
    Thank you so much Iris - sorry to hear you have them too. I never knew you could get them, I wish they would tell you these things! I will speak to the nurse next time and see what they say and let you know. my nurses favourite is my right arm! I'm just self-consious about them as I'm single having divorced from my husband last year and I also have a four year old son and I don't want people making fun of him because of me.

Anyway enough of my moaning, I'm keeping my fingers crossed the ant-tnf works too! Thanks again. Have a lovely weekend :) x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    HI, Yes, at this time of year I feel like a junky! Mine come from blood tests when I had an illness some time ago and had daily blood tests for a month also drips and of course, although I have OA, they keep testing my blood to see if its changed!!!

I think, when you catch the sun a bit in the summer, they make the marks show more - mine are white marks. :roll:
    Love Sue
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    After the first 200 blood tests you tend not to worry about them anymore.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi Claire
    i have lots of blood test too, but as yet dont have any marks, think it is cos they mostly use a baby needle on me cos i faint sometimes when getting my blood done :roll:
    anyway have you tried Bio-oil? i think thats what it is called, it is a bit pricey but you only need a very small amount, its oil that you rub into your skin. it worked wonders for my mates stretch marks. you can get it in all big chemists, Boots ect.
    im 34 and can understand were your coming from.
    best wishes
    Sharon
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've been having fortnightly blood tests for years now, and no marks as I alternate arms - whether it suits the phleb ot not. Any repeated activity with needles will leave marks which is why addicts have the marks they do. I alternate as it also gives my veins a break! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Claire,

hope you are having a better weekend and have fun with your little'un.

Sharon's suggestion of trying bio-oil is a good one - my post op scar this time round is pretty gruesome (as it goes through another wide scar) and lots of folks recommended the bio-oil. Apply just a little and don't massage too much. Also DD's suggestion - you control which arm they stab - and let them choose the vein.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've been thinking about this, off and on when awake. Drug addicts do this sort of thing at least once every day, so how come some of us get marks when it's once or twice a week? I guess how thin one's skin is or how deep your veins are does matter too. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Clairlouise,

I got them as well but mine are from the stabbings I get via the drip... they have so much trouble getting a vein that I do tend to be a bit battered vein wise!

I really hope the new drugs will help you and sending a ((( ))) and a hope for a better day tomorrow. Cris x