enbrel injections

polly24
polly24 Member Posts: 34
edited 1. Aug 2010, 10:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi i just tryed 2 inject my enbrel but pen wod not work what do i do now do i get another iut of the fridge and inj or ring someone as it id not work last week am now in pain will stay up till other get 2 work :?: :?: :?:

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Polly,

I'm sorry you are in so much pain and having problems with the pen and injecting your meds. Did the pen not work at all? If not and it were me, I'd have another go with a different pen. Is there a leaflet in the box that you can read to check you have done it exactly as you should? Keep the pen that did not work, so that when you go to request more you can show it to the doc/nurse if necessary.

Do you have to inject it into your stomach? I had to self inject blood thinner into my tummy after my op and I found it easier to do if I lay propped up slightly on my bed. It was harder to do on days when I was in more pain) or rather my tolerance was probably lower. Maybe have a cuppa and a warm bath and some pain meds before trying again.

I would also ask for more training/supervision until you feel more confident. Would anyone in your family attend training with you and offer you moral support whilst you inject at home?

Good luck, keep calm.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    If your meds are supplied by healthcare at home then contact them. If I read your post right the previous pen also didn't work so if they are both from the same batch there is obviously a fault. Don't inject again until you have checked with someone. When I was on enbrel I had standard syringes and little pots of stuff - I have a pen for the humira that I am on now. I preferred the syringe - you knew it had worked! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Polly,

I agree that you shouldn't try to inject again without advice.

Healthcare at home have a helpline and can/ will want to make a fast delivery to you to replace this 'bad batch' of Enbrel pens.

Even if you have to wait a few days for them...it won't make a huge difference to the Enbrel's effectiveness over all.
    I would suggest you should also speak with rheummy on Monday about whether to inject again when you get the new batch......they will advise you best on what to do.

hope it works out ok and that you can manage the pain with pain meds until you get advice.

Iris xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi polly, what happened in the end? Were you able to get some advice/help re the enbrel? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bevman
    bevman Member Posts: 107
    polly24 wrote:
    hi i just tryed 2 inject my enbrel but pen wod not work what do i do now do i get another iut of the fridge and inj or ring someone as it id not work last week am now in pain will stay up till other get 2 work :?: :?: :?:

Hi i used to ues the embrel pen but had the same problem so went back to injections i phoned helthcare at home and they said it was the way i was doing it but when i spoke to consultant he said a number of people were having problems.
    hope you get it sorted
    laurence
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Polly, have you got it sorted out yet? Very worrying for you.

Please keep us updated.

Lv, Ix