talonavicular fusion

lavender58
lavender58 Member Posts: 7
edited 4. Aug 2010, 03:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

after some years of pain I have been recently diagnosed with OA in both feet - in one foot so far advanced that the only suitable treatment is to have the talonavicular joint fused.

Am a youngish 50 year old who teaches full time and if I do not find a solution will have to give up job that, although drives me mad, I love! I am worried about the procedure in general - slightly more so as I am diabetic which means my feet heal more slowly from any type of injury.

Have had plenty of medical advice but would really like to talk to anyone else who has had this particular procedure so know what to expect in the way of outcomes.

thanks

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lavender,

Welcome to the forums, they are a good lt here.

I don't know what that is but I have had a lot of 'work' done on my feet in my 20's and 40's which included joints removed and some bits fused up. It helped incredibly so maybe it would be worth it for you? Mine was complicated in a way cus I don't heal well and they did as much as they could each time.

Its good they are offering you something but as I say I am not sure what that is but if its anything like mine its well worth it. Hope someone comes along who has had this and good luck with what you decide. Nice to meet you. Cris x
  • dolittle
    dolittle Member Posts: 240
    Hi Lavender,
    Is this the procedure where they put 3 'pins' into the top of the foot and attach them to the bones of the leg? If so, then I have the same problem and was offered the same procedure.
    Dolittle
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Lavender,

I don't have arthritis in the ankles/feet so no personally based info/advice to share.

I am however a teacher and love your description of your relationship to the job ... drives you mad, but you love it.

I waited and put off for a long time an op on my hip and my job got increasingly more and more of a physical struggle. I had it done in May and am now pain free and my mobility is better than before the op (as long as I don't over do it.) I think with a lot of these ops - we avoid them for as long as we can, but in the end they are unavoidable and the only option left.

Keep us posted.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Hi Lavender

Welcome to the forum. I don't know anything about this procedure but I am sure other peeps will be able to able to offer you advice. The forum does seem a little quiet today - I think quite a few people must be on holiday ....

Marion
  • lavender58
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Lavender,

Welcome to the forums, they are a good lt here.

I don't know what that is but I have had a lot of 'work' done on my feet in my 20's and 40's which included joints removed and some bits fused up. It helped incredibly so maybe it would be worth it for you? Mine was complicated in a way cus I don't heal well and they did as much as they could each time.

Its good they are offering you something but as I say I am not sure what that is but if its anything like mine its well worth it. Hope someone comes along who has had this and good luck with what you decide. Nice to meet you. Cris x

Hi Skezier
    thanks for the positive reply - before i stumbled on the forum all I could find on the net was people groaning about their painful ops - which was very off putting! Your surgery does sound similar as i have more than one op lined up. You don't mention how long ago this - have the effects remained good inthe longer term?
    thanks
    Jude
  • lavender58
    HI everyone

Thanks for all replies. Think at moment am having trouble getting head around the whole Arthritis thing.
    Am now on summer hold - a glorious whole six weeks of bliss so it should be easier to cope with physically but I still need to get my head around things.
    Have seen new GP who wants to run blood tests for RA so off for blood tests this am then on to beach hut to chill out with a glass of Pimms - for medicinal purposes you understand!!
    J