I'm Back After THR

2»

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jay - if you want to get out of those shorts - elevate your leg regularly!!!

A lie down in the afternoon is a good idea!! Do you have wireless? You could take your laptop up with you. (Well OH can carry it up for you!)

Hope you have a good day.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Jay,

I am so sorry I missed this but so glad your home... good to be waited one eh?

Well done for going through this and you will soon be up and running...... I hope your pin is under control and glad he is allowed to go fishing.... got t keep them happy eh?! :wink:

Wishing you a quick recovery and so sorry I missed the post... my brain and eyes seem to be undergoing a very hostile divorce :lol::lol: Cris x
  • speedalong
    Hi Jay, how's things? Hoping you have been elevating that leg plenty as well as doing physio exercises and practising your walking ... this rehab marlarky is very time consuming isn't it?!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Jay

How are you today? :) Hope you are finding the time to rest with the legs elevated and "icing" if the leg is swollen. :wink:

Do you find the day goes quickly, because things take longer to do, the resting, exercising, chatting on the phone, on the internet and so on. I used to, mind you my days all seem to soar by. No sooner is it Friday, than it is the weekend again!

All the best to you and your dear husband. He sounds a treasure. Hope he has been to do some fishing as well. No wonder you get on so well, giving and taking is the name of the game, isn't it? :)

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Jay,

hope you've had another good day and that the meds are working to keep the pain away. :wink:

Iris xx
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Jay

Hope you are resting up there and not feeling too many post op. blues and pain. One day at a time. Not sure when I can look in again this week so am just sending HIM incase you need him.

g19368.gif

Don't worry he is a very gentle bear.
    Take care
    Chris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello quietwaters, I hope things continue to go well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Hi Kath,
    Thank you. 7 months on, I bet it all seems a distant memory now? I’m glad all went to plan for you and you are doing well. No I’m not overdoing anything........... except maybe giving orders out to hubby! :lol:
    Love Jay x

Hi Jay

Hope you are doing ok and improving lots.

You are right, it does seem like a distant memory.
    Cant remember the discomfort bits of it at all.
    I had a spinal block and thought it was the best way
    to go, it certainly was for me anyway.

I'm a bit surprised about you having to purchase your
    own aids by the way.

My physio/OT dept came up with goods at an
    assesment a few weeks prior to the op.
    All the stuff I needed, raised loo seats, raised chair
    apparatus (and fitted too), grabber etc were all on loan
    and all free. Shows how different areas are.

Keep posting with progress wont you.
    Enjoy out the giving orders. :lol:

Love Kath x
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Hi Jay
    I was offered physio at home but I told them I would go to the hospital for it because my husband could take me. I am still having it because I still need a stick to walk with otherwise I limp and its sore, I had a lot of muscle waste in my leg after the op and I seemed to struggle with that. I see the physio again this week he was hoping that I would maybe be off the stick by now but unfortunatley I am not.
    You mentioned that you had a swollen leg when I had my op the surgeon put in a drain in which took all the fluid away, apparently he is the only surgeon at the hospital to do that, it was a bit of a pain taking the drain everywhere I went but it was worth it.
    Denise
  • speedalong
    Hi Jay, hope you are doing well.

Hi Denise, how long did you have the drain in for? I had a drain, but only for a couple of days.

I'm still reliant on a crutch when out and about too ... not sure how going to give it up - as still need it when walking any distance or I to limp really badly and start to struggle.

Speedy
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Jay,

Just popping by to say hi and hope you're ok tonight.

Iris x
  • quietwaters
    quietwaters Member Posts: 288
    Hi Everyone, and thanks for all your well wishes and good advice, much appreciated. Sorry I haven’t been on for a few days, swelling been bothering me. I was worried about DVT, don’t know the symptoms, but just been elevating as and when. Then Sunday night I started getting real bad pains down my shin and calf and felt like I had to keep rubbing them to relieve it. Anyway, I had my stitches out yesterday (Mon), and the nurse had a look for me and said although it was very warm, because I didn’t have any redness, she wasn’t overly worried, and that put my mind at rest. :) I think it’s just the fact that the stockings are not helping, too tight. So she gave me an extra pair of LARGE ones just to use on the FAT leg, hopefully it will do the trick.

Iris, that’s a great idea. Hubby is planning on fishing on Thurs or Fri depending on weather. He said he will make me some sandwiches and a flask of tea before he goes, he will only go for a few hours rather than an all day job like usual, and it’s not far away so he can always come home if I need something. :wink:

Hi Cris, no need for apologies, I know how it is some days, thank you for your good wishes. X :)

Hi Lynn, not exactly a comfy chair, just a dining room chair with arms on, borrowed from an aunt and uncle, but far more comfy than the garden chair I was having to use! Luxury. And yes, always have chocolate to hand. :wink:

Hi Speedy, yes been elevating leg often, usually go to bed in the afternoon to try help it. The physio exercises aren’t going too well because the knee is so swollen I can’t do certain things, but doing everything I can. I’m not pushing myself. I usually do the standing exercises in the morning when I make my first cup of tea. Because I can’t carry it into the living room, I stand and drink it in the kitchen while exercising (while hubby is still asleep in bed!), he’s not a morning person, could sleep for England. I don’t like to wake him because it’s his holiday, so not really fair. :roll:

Hi Elna, how are you? Yes the days do seem to go quick. I’m finding I like the mornings when I get up, not sleeping too well, but then I never really did anyway! I find myself clock watching during the night, probably cos I go to bed so early, my bum gets sore sitting on this chair all day, then it gets sore at night laying on my back, can’t win really, hey ho, all in a good cause, it will be worth it in the end. :)

Hi Chris, thank you for my lovely teddy, hugs greatly appreciated. I’m sorry I haven’t been on for a few days, swelling getting to me. I will be back on your thread very soon to try to catch up. I’m afraid I’m not much support to everyone at the minute, sorry. I'm thinking of you x.

Thanks DD, hope you are ok too x :)

Hi Kath, and thanks, yes it does seem to be an area thing. I haven’t had any help from anywhere, was told I had to buy everything. Maybe it’s because I work part time, don’t know, or maybe it’s because (as my 82 year old neighbour pointed out), I’m not old yet!!! I’m 52 and I think ‘they’ think I should be sorting myself out, I don’t know really. :?

Hi Denise, how are you? I was offered 2 sessions of physio at the hospital, a group session, but declined it because I’d rather do it at home, and it would have meant hubby taking me, waiting etc, so I’m doing what I can at home, albeit not much at the minute. I’m really sorry you’re still having to use a stick, what a bind. Have they given you more or different exercises to do because of the muscle waste? And have they give you any indication as to when you might be back to not using the stick? You must be so frustrated by now. I must admit, when I had my arthroscopies in my teens (a long time ago), I didn’t always keep to the exercise, which is probably why I don’t have a lot of strength in my knees now, which actually isn’t helping at all, my own fault I know. Yes I did have a drain in, they took it out the day they took the catheter out. I think the problem is I was probably a bit impatient to get home and insisted everything was taken out, so maybe if I’d stayed another day or two, as they wanted, I might not be in the situation I am now, like I say, my own fault. I’m not the best of patients. :oops: I hope you soon get off that stick and your muscles are working well. X

Well peeps, sorry for long boring post, but thank you all for your good wishes, I’m off for a lay down now (hubby has Lord of the Rings on dvd, oh joy!), like it, but after the first 20 times of watching it, gets a bit boring, know what I mean???? :x
    Lots of love Jay x
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Hi Jay
    Ooh you take it easy and rest your leg, it is the only way you will get any better. Its such a long slow process recovering I know I found it very frustrating not being able to do anything, but its the only way and it is worth it in the end,
    Physio gave me excersices to strenghten the mustles at the top back of my leg, I do leg raises with a straight leg lying on my unoperated side, and one they call the crab, again on my side but with knees bent and raise the knee out, this is the one I have struggled with from early on, but I can do them easier now (that is when my hip isnt clicking - that is weird).
    I should be off the stick soon, I was going to go back to work next week, but when I did a bit of cleaning the other day, and again today I think I did too much so I not going back yet, work is the last thing on my mind.
    Take care
    Denise.x
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Hi Jay

Sorry to hear you have had a worrying few days..

I had a lot of swelling in the first few weeks after my hip replacement and still get some swelling now (after 12 weeks).

If you are concerned at any time about the possibility of a dvt then pop off to A & E and they will do an ?ultrasound test on the leg.

Hope things settle down for you..

Marion
  • speedalong
    HI Jay, my leg was very swollen in the early days/weeks too and even though the swelling lower down went down each night the swelling right at the top was harder to shift until my friend did the trick with the pillows (placed in a row under the foot of the mattress and slightly sticking out at the foot of the bed - so they didn't slip .... still got them there!!)

I used to make my tea and then pour it into a tuperware container and pop the container and a mug into a little shoulder bag (deliberately small so I wouldn't try and carry too much!) and then with the strap across my body I could carry my drink to where I wanted to drink it.

Sounds like you have a good plan for your "home alone" session when hubby goes fishing.

Speedy
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Jay

Thanks for calling in with the update. We just like to know how you are getting on when you feel able to post and are wishing you well.
    It is very early days so do rest when you can. The other post op peeps do such a good job with the hints and tips they can offer but I am thinking of you and sending hugs. ((( )))
    take care
    Chris
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Jay
    Just calling in to see how you are getting on, I do hope the swelling is going down, and you are at least getting some sleep.
    Lots of very gentle hugs (((((((())))))))
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara