philgos
philgos Member Posts: 9
edited 4. Aug 2010, 12:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, my names phil iam 48 bit over weight (the good life) married wirh 5 cats :D
I have been told I have RA by my rummy about 3 months ago, had been having pains in my feet for years before and thought northing of it.
In the end my middle finger in my right hand started to blow up and wouldn't bend so of i went to the rummy.
First of all had an examination of all my joints off for blood tests and x rays and quitazone (sorry bout spelling) injection in my finger ...oach
Second visit he said i tested slightly for RA put me on some tablets and off i went.
week later they i am covered in hives... stop taking tablets.
2 weeks later back to rummy left hand now blowing up and in great pain 4 quitazone injections ....very painfull new tablets he says they are weak ones.
2 weeks on and iam still in great pain in my left hand have tried ice then heat with splint without splint, aghhhhh it is on my mind all the time... its like a bad tooth ache ...cant keep taking ibuprofen.
What can i do next guys.

Phil :(

Comments

• sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Philgos

Welcome to the forum. My goodness you've certainly had a few bad experiences. Sorry I can't help - I have OA. I'm sure some of our RA sufferers will get back to you soon. My mum has a similary problem with her thumb but shes 79. She's got to see her GP.

I can only suggest you keep going back to your GP. It took about a year for my GP to get the balance of my medication right.

With regards
    sharmaine
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Phil and welcome,

I have OA and personal experience of hip and knee problems, and the real experts will be along shortly I'm sure.

However, you did mention taking iboprufen - which makes me think you aren't taking any other anti-inflamatories?? A lot of us take anti-inflamatories long term (along with stomach protectors) and they are effective and we wouldn't be without them. Different ones work for different folks and it can be trial and error. What painkillers are you on.

A lot of hand folks swear by hot wax ... but they will tell you more.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • philgos
    Hi thanks for your replies, the only other thing i am taking is nueofen to help with the pain and inflammation the tablets iam on from the rummy are plaquenil 200mg 3 times a day.
  • Rainbow77
    Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
    Hi Phil

I would make sure that you take the pain killers regularly so that they at least take the edge of it. I am sure you could also take paracetomal as well or perhaps co-codaomal as well - codeine based. You can go back to your GP for this, or buy the lose dose ones over the counter to tide you over.

When are you going back to see your Rhemmy, you obviously will need to take stronger meds to get it under control. Some take a aggressive approach first, others wait to see.

When did you start taking the plaquenil? that can take 12-14 weeks to really start working so you may not see improvement yet if that time period has not elapsed.

I know we don't like to keep taking painkillers,but sometimes needs must and if you take it regularly for the moment, it may help you.

Take care

fayann xx
  • philgos
    Thanks for that... iam just concered about side effects and not being able to have my glass of red wine :D
    What side effects are they with co-codaomal i just dont want to be chasing 1 tablet with another to counter the first one.

1 other thing is when i cough or take a deep breath i get a a pain in the wrist thats swollen does this happen to you all ??

Phil
  • jenniet
    jenniet Member Posts: 27
    Hi Phil.

I have RA and when I was first diagnosed (just over 2 years ago)I had the injections and was taking the full dose of diclofenac (an anti-inflammatory)and paracetamol every day as well as the DMARDs and the occasional stronger pain killer. It did take a while for the DMARDs to kick in, as Fayanne says 12 to 14 weeks is pretty usual. They've altered and added drugs over time but I haven't had to use the diclofenac or paracetamol regularly for at least a year, however they were a godsend whilst I was waiting for the DMARDs to kick in. It would be wise to ask for a stomach protector but I wouldn't worry about taking so many at the moment, you need something! Do you have a rheumy nurse you could phone up and chat to, they can be very helpful and answer questions for you/ speed up treatment etc.
    Hang in there, it does get better!

Jenny.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Phil,

Welcome from me as well. I honestly think that side effects 'might' happen but the pain and swelling is SURE to happen... so take the meds if you can.

I also wonder if your tablets could be changed to something that suits you better? May be as jenny suggested would be a good way forward for you?

Its all hit and miss in the early days but once they get on top of it all the swelling and pain should decrease. Its hard at the start but this lot will help you through. Nice to meet you and sending you a ((( ))). Cris x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Phil and welcome from me too :D

I agree with the others that you need to see your doc...or phone rheummy...as you just aren't getting enough pain relief just now.:wink:

It does take time for the rheummys to find the right balance of meds for each of us...we are just so individual, so what works for one just might not work for the next one.

Ibufrofen can be taken with paracetamol (alternating doses) but you really should/ need to ask a pharmacist about it being taken in combination with the plaquenil...which is a DMARD I think?.

I've had arther for 15yrs now and it has affected my hands quite badly. I've had joint and intramuscular steroid injections but have not heard of 'quitazone'...is it a steroid? if so it's disappointing the joint injections haven't worked for you...and all the more reason for phoning rheummy!

We all have our own tips on dealing with arther flares in the hands.... mine is definitely using hot wax therapy which you can use as often as you need to and doesn't interfere with other treatments. A 'unit' which contains all you need to get started costs about £40.00

meantime while you wait to contact rheummy or your doc how about speaking to a pharmacist about what other pain meds you could safely take just now. :?:

irisx

ps..loved the 'married with 5 cats' :lol::lol::lol:
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    philgos wrote:
    Thanks for that... iam just concered about side effects and not being able to have my glass of red wine :D
    What side effects are they with co-codaomal i just dont want to be chasing 1 tablet with another to counter the first one.

1 other thing is when i cough or take a deep breath i get a a pain in the wrist thats swollen does this happen to you all ??

Phil

Hi Phil

Cocodamol can give you constipation :roll: and make you more tired. So with a glass of red wine you would just get even more tired, if you see what I mean. Sorry cannot help you with the pain you get in wrist when taking a deep breath, but does not sound too pleasant.

Welcome to the forum, look after yourself,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • philgos
    Hi can you give me some more info on the hot wax.... and where you can get a unit.

Phil
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    will pm you the details,

Iris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Phil

Good to met you :)

Been away this weekend so sorry :(

I take hydroxy which is one of the weaker DMARDs (trying to prevent damage to our joints )I am happy with it and will remain on it as long as poss as it has been great for me - more no side effects :wink:

the others are right though - you have anti-inflams, but no pain killer too such as the co-co.

Elna is frright that they can make you a bit constipated :oops: Eat more fruit or a glass of prune juice can sort that :wink:

The pain in your wrist is likly you jolting the poor thing with sudden movement.

You are doing all the right things - and Phil....I still ahve a drink if I want one :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I take co-codamol 30/500 for pain during the day, so I also take docusate tablets four times a day to relieve the constipation. I am also curently eating vast amounts of cherries, whilst they are in season which also helps to shift stuff. They are the only fruit that I like - the rest is very unreliable in quality! I have many other meds too, including 2 glassses of medicinal white grape-based drink every night. That makes the painkillers work better. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    [too, including 2 glassses of medicinal white grape-based drink every night. That makes the painkillers work better. Dreamdaisy[/quote]

Like it :wink:
  • philgos
    Hi all and thanks for all your help so far..... bit of a bad day yesterday all of a sudden got a pain in my ankle which started swelling then in my knee ..and still in my wrist found it hard to get up the stairs aghhh
    Started taking some paracetamol as well as my neofen to help.. wife's going to get me some co co tonight.
    Can the pains in an area stay for a long time before they move on ..had my wrist pain now for about a month or is this something ive got to get used to.

Phil
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Honest answer from my perspective: My left knee has hurt since April 1997. My right knee has hurt since October 2003. My sacro-iliac joints have hurt since October 2006. My right ankle has hurt since January 2007. My left ankle has recently started hurting, but my toes, fingers, shoulders and neck only hurt when I flare. I last felt vaguely healthy in October 2001. Ho-hum. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben