physio

dachshund
dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
edited 2. Aug 2010, 03:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone.
i keep thinking about this and i thought you all might know.
when i saw the orthopeadic doc in july he said i had to have a exray on my foot and i have to see some one about the pain in my hips at the back
he then said he would book for me to see a physio
as my legs ache all the time he said peerhaps my legs were weak how can they be weak when i walk with the dog every day and i go and do exersize's in the water as i can not swim as well as house work my legs feel worn out from when i get up in the morning i have to keep sitting down it is a ache like toothache and with the pain across my back.
i have diclofenic and paracetomol.
sorry to go on but i dont know what he means by
weak. joan xx
take care
joan xx

Comments

• chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Joan

Sorry to see this. It does sound a bit odd when as you say you already do your water exercise and walk the dogs. The hydrotherapy I had certainly helped my legs to get stronger.

When I first saw a physio last year she explained that I was using my back muscles for walking rather than the muscles in my bottom :oops: She gave me exercises which did help me to walk properly by building up muscle in my bum and thighs, maybe this is what they mean by saying your legs are weak? I think this would help reduce any back pain if this is what they mean in your case. Not sure if this helps as you have the poorly foot too which won't help matters. Maybe someone else can will come along and advise here.

Hope you do get to see the physio soon and they can help you there and take the time to explain things, sorry the visit left you feeling confused.

take care ((( )))
    Chris
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 31. Jul 2010, 11:42
    Hi Joan,

in my experience, consultants always try the least invasive method of treatment first ie painmeds and physio first. If this doesn't help then they start considering surgery. It is possible that due to being in pain you are compensating and using different muscles to carry out some parts of the physical activities you do - as we tend to find the easiest/least painful way to do things ... this can cause pain elsewhere. As my hips got worse, my back pain got worse as I was relying on my back to compensate for my hips. As our conditions worsen we tend subconsciously adapt our exercises in the same way. If you get allocated to a good physio - they will be able to question you about where your pain is and assess your muscle strengths and weaknesses and hopefully make some suggestions. Since you do lots of walking and exercise in the pool they may well choose to build on what you do already. No harm in giving it a go. If it is doesn't help - then it will be time to explore plan B!!

Speedy

PS Chris7 must have been typing at the same time as me - yes that is exactly what I mean re the back muscles compensating.
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dachshund
    Hi Chris.
    Thank you i'm was told i would be able to see the physio about the end of august beginning of sept.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Joan

I do hope that the physio can help you when you get your appointment. Have a good chat with them and see what the outcome is. As others say, it is usually something that the gps wish a patient to go to, so that it can be ticked off the list as being of help or not and then you may well be referred to a consultant.

This is probably totally irrelevant but listening to a repeat prog of woman's Hour on deportment, it was mentioned that we usually take too big strides when we walk, they should be shorter, remembering to lift up the knees. Think I will try this.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dachshund
    Hi Speedy.
    Thank you for your help.
    its so good to be able to ask questions on here when you are worried i was beginning to think i was lazy because i go on my scoota to the fields to take the dog for his walk i meet a friend who ride's my scoota so as i can walk for about 15 mins.
    then we come home.
    but i have to sit for a bit before i can carry on.
    thank you. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Hi Elna.
    thank you i do try to walk quick but as my back hurts and my foot as well as my legs aching
    its funny realiy to see me walk its like some one who's drunk thou i dont drink.
    never mind at least i can walk.
    i was told i was lucky to still be walking at my age because of cerebral p.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Joan :D

I'm puzzled by what your consultant said too...but other peeps here have given you some very helpful explanations and suggestions. :!:

Just adding my good wishes for when you do see the physio. :wink:

love n (((hugs)))

Iris x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Joan
    You would be surprised what muscles we dont use, even when we walk, some muscles are very rarely used properly.
    When you see the phisio has someone said , have a good chat, and have a few sessions , and see how it goes, all these things have to be tried to rule them out.
    I do hope it helps, and that you get some relief.
    You take care
    Lots of hugs coming your way (((((((())))))
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh dear, dachshund, that doesn't sound good. I know exactly what you mean about the 'toothache' feeling, that's how I explain my pain to those who don't have it. It is surprising the muscles that are used when walking - after my first, very radical, synovectomy (where my knee joint was 'cleaned' out) I had real problems with walking. I was told to clench my buttock muscles with each forward step, and it was surprisingly hard to do. The body is good at compensating for the muscles that don't work very well, so it learns all sorts of bad habits. The CP must complicate matters further. Oh Joan, I don't know what to say or advise, I'm going thro a bit of a rough patch myself. I promise to give it some thought, though I don't think for one moment I can help. Thinking of you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    This is probably totally irrelevant but listening to a repeat prog of woman's Hour on deportment, it was mentioned that we usually take too big strides when we walk, they should be shorter, remembering to lift up the knees

That's interesting, Elna. The lifting up the knees thing is what the physio said I had to do to improve one of the problems with my gait (I was swinging the older THR leg out to the side, instead of lifting the knee.) I had noticed that doing this had shortened my stride and was wondering how I could lengthen my stride again whilst lifting my knees... well if having a shorter stride is a good thing - I wont try and lengthen it.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dachshund
    Thank you Barbara.
    i hope you are feeling not too bad and thank you for the hugs i send some back to you.
    ((((()))))). joan xx
    DD
    I hope you feel better to day and i hope you are not in too much pain.
    joan xx
    Thank you everyone for your help and kind advice.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hello joan,

Sorry not much help here. Just wanted to wish you well with your appointment. I hope you get some answers.

Lv, IX
  • dachshund
    Thank you Ironic.
    its not till the end of august beginnig of sept.
    it will soon come.
    take care. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello dachshund, I hope you are OK today. Currently my mind is like badly made porridge, all pasty and lumpy. I can't think of anything to say except keep doing what you are doing in terms of exercise because that will stop your joints from freezing up. Don't over-do things, take plenty of rest - the CP must complicate matters for you regarding movement but it sounds to me as tho you cope pretty well. Take care, DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Joan

Not like you at all to post a worry :(

When I had my back op i was told I had virtually no muscle in my bum too(!) and that you have to strengthen up your stomach muscles too.

I wouldn't be worrying to much if you can help it while you wait for the physio Joan. You DO keep fit with swimming the gym and the dog walking - I think you are doing really well

Love and hugs

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    My thoughts exactly. I hope you are OK today, dachshund. DD