Over seas aid.

mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 3. Aug 2010, 12:47 in Community Chit-chat archive
Right just a thought, but if I went to my local bank and was already up to my neck in debt and asked for a massive loan I would get told to sling me hook, but if I also told them I wanted to give some of it to “charity” I would be physically ejected and told never to come back until I had my mental state checked, Sounds logical to me.
So why are we still giving over seas aid to countries when we are mega skint, also why give to countries like China and India!?, both are far more wealthy than we are now and their economies are both growing rapidly unlike ours, Also does anyone know if any countries give us some form of aid at all or is it all one way??.

Comments

• oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Come on Mell you really know the answer to this dont you?
    Annoying though isnt it?
  • mellman01
    No honest I don't, you never hear of any but I know china and India give oversea's aid, I was hoping a bit might come our way, a couple of hundred tonnes of noodles and or curry powder would be nice!.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    come on mell....
    here is how is goes, Uk does nice trade with say India, cheap labour and some rich person or persons get even richer,simples...
    as for you at bank..they aint gonna get much out of you are they? simples, theyre greedy so and sos..dont care about peoples welfare..just lining their own pockets..whats in it for them syndrome..
    if we didnt spend money on wars we go out looking for we would have money for own country residents first..the war for example..again nice earners for contractors (uk,usa etc) to make money rebuilidng, its disgusting...i keep expecting knock at door the way i am talking!!!!!!!
  • mellman01
    delboy wrote:
    Guilty conscience. We corrupted China with the opium trade and raped India of it's mineral and spice wealth.

Both of the above countries are so corrupt any aid given ends up in the pockets of politicians and administrators and what littel that does trickle to where it's needed most is of little consequence.

Hmm you have a point there del!!, crazy world or wot,I have heard that aid in Africa is doing more harm than good in some areas, but I think the bigest problem there is that they first had to agree to only export raw metials, anything manufactured is taxed heavily so they can't ever get out of the hole the banks and their corrupt leaders put them in, this also works well fore global businesses who like a little bit of instability and poverty to make massive profits from all the turmoil.

That said though it's easy for people of other countries to always blame us here for some or most of the ill's that their country is sufering today, it is highly important not to forget the past but to keep seeking to blame others for the current state of things, AIDS in South Africa is a clasic case of this, mind you we still feel as a nation that it is our god given right to sort out the worlds problems and by force in most casses, you would have thought that by now we should have learned at that this can make things a whole lot worseand cause big problems for many years after we have left.
  • mellman01
    delboy wrote:
    " AIDS in South Africa is a classic case of this"

Perpetuated by the Catholic Church's intransigence when it comes to contraception.

Yep that's true!.
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    What concerns me most is that the money sent over to "Third World" countries like this often doesn't reach the people it's supposed to.

Nx
  • mellman01
    Funny thing Nina we were talking about aid today and someone said that only around 2% of the Hati aid money has got through so far, also a friend knows a manager of a company who has access to the list of what all the board members of all companies within the UK including charites, all they would say is the blue cross animal sanctury lot pay themselevs very well!.