I am 25 and waiting for new knee's

chantelle
chantelle Member Posts: 6
edited 11. Aug 2010, 16:29 in Young people's community
Hi

I am 25 and waiting for new knee's, I have RA for 13 years. I am just wondering if their is anyone around my age who has gone through this procedure. The truth is I am scared. The longer I wait for it, the longer my life is on hold and the more scared I get.

Thanks
Chant

Comments

• sparkle
    sparkle Member Posts: 11
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi

I'm 24 and had my left knee replaced 8 weeks ago. Apparently the op was quite a challenge for the surgeon but not due to my age, it was because I'm so small and bones quite soft . But he did a really good job, it's healed well and I can get a good range of movement (bend up to 105 degrees). I'm having hydro and physio to build up the strength and managed to get back driving again today. I'm on the list to have my right knee done which should be in about November.

The knee joint I was given is a fairly new design which has shown up to 90% less wear than previous ones which suggests it will last much longer. You might find this website useful which was written by my surgeon [This message has been edited by the Forum Moderator in accordance with our terms and conditions]

I know what you mean about your life being on hold, I feel the same way. I know some people might think it's very young to have replacements but for me I thought I would rather be active now when I'm this age than just sit around inactive and in pain waiting to become old enough to do something about it.

Hope this has helped a bit and feel free to ask me anything else you like.
  • twinkle84
    twinkle84 Member Posts: 1
    hi, i hav had arthritis sine i was 2 years old. i got both my knees replaced at the same time when i was 17. at first i was in a lot of pain but nothing like what i had been goin through before the op. unfortunately because i was so young and my knees so delicate my left knee had to be re-done a few weeks after the first op as when i stood up for the first time the plate fell. i never got amazing results from the op or anything because my arthritis is pretty advanced and was at that time also, but it did improve my quality of life brilliantly. the second op went brilliant and i would definietly reccomend this operation to anyone who needs it. as i am now 23 and my knees are still goin strong.
  • georgielou
    georgielou Member Posts: 12
    Hi Chant

I know its scary, and waiting is just horrible. But i had both my knees replaced at 18 im 34 now, and touch wood they are still going strong. I will of course have to have them done again, but like you say why wait until your too old to reap the benefit of not being in pain anymore.

If you need to ask me anything else, feel free.

Georgie x
  • annebrown
    annebrown Member Posts: 4
    sparkle wrote:
    Hi

I'm 24 and had my left knee replaced 8 weeks ago. Apparently the op was quite a challenge for the surgeon but not due to my age, it was because I'm so small and bones quite soft . But he did a really good job, it's healed well and I can get a good range of movement (bend up to 105 degrees). I'm having hydro and physio to build up the strength and managed to get back driving again today. I'm on the list to have my right knee done which should be in about November.
    Hello Great to read your message. Could you give me the name of your surgeon, so I can find the website. You can E mail me (edited according to arthritis Care terms and conditions) . Many thanks Anne
    The knee joint I was given is a fairly new design which has shown up to 90% less wear than previous ones which suggests it will last much longer. You might find this website useful which was written by my surgeon [This message has been edited by the Forum Moderator in accordance with our terms and conditions]

I know what you mean about your life being on hold, I feel the same way. I know some people might think it's very young to have replacements but for me I thought I would rather be active now when I'm this age than just sit around inactive and in pain waiting to become old enough to do something about it.

Hope this has helped a bit and feel free to ask me anything else you like.
  • neilaw
    neilaw Member Posts: 2
    chantelle wrote:
    Hi

hi

I am 25 and waiting for new knee's, I have RA for 13 years. I am just wondering if their is anyone around my age who has gone through this procedure. The truth is I am scared. The longer I wait for it, the longer my life is on hold and the more scared I get.

Thanks
    Chant
    hi chantell,in neil,ive had both of my knees replaced and its 100% better,beleive me its well worth it,im 37 now n had them done bout 2 nhalf year ago.dont be scarred coz its gotta be better than being in pain,dont hesitated to contact me n good look neil
  • glitterbug
    glitterbug Member Posts: 20
    Hi Guys!

It's so good to hear some positive stuff about knee replacements. I'm 30 and have had severe RA since I was 18months old. I have an awful lot of joint damage and have just given in to a right knee replacement (after lots of putting off!!!!) I am due to have it done on the 7th of Jan and to tell you the truth I am soooooooo scared!!!! I've had my right hip done so know what to expect but it's more the anaesthetic that bothers me. Due to the lack of movement in my jaw and neck they struggle to intubate me and the last op I had things went very wrong and I almost died!!! So I am seriously nervous this time but don't have much choice now :?

How did you all manage on sticks etc, my arms are seriously painful and can just manage on a gutter frame!

Jo xx
  • catters09
    catters09 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

It's good to know that I'm not the only youngish person with probs. I first had knee arthroscopy at 17, then 18 and another one last year when I was 26. I now have no cartilage left in the lateral side of knee. My surgeon told me after my first surgery to stop playing netball. Did I listen??? He warned me all through my 20's and now it's very painful. I've been told that I will need a replacement in my 30's more than likely. I just can't bring myself to stop playing netball, as it is so bad for knees due to the stop/start and pivoting all the time. I also do aths which isn't too bad as I'm just running in a straight line. What do you think? Should I do the right thing and try and preserve my knee for as long as possible? Or should I just think...bugger it, I need a replacement anyway, may as well keep playing for as long as I can, even if it does hurt!!

I've never really discussed this with many people, so nice to know that this forum exists :-)

Kathy
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Bumped up for Elainbadknee
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • cazaline
    cazaline Member Posts: 61
    Hi Chantelle,

I'm 23, I've not had any experience with knees but I've had both my hips replaced due to OA over the past few months.

I have to say I'm in agreement with what everyone is saying. I spent a lot of time moping around at home because of my hips, and then decided to do something about it. If the pain etc is so bad that you stop living your life, then get it done, and enjoy your life whilst you are still young! But of course only you can make this decision. For me, getting my hips done was probably the best decision I've made! My knees are pretty bad too so I'm considering getting them done as well depending on what my rheumy recommends.

All the best!

Caroline xXx