For any artists on the forum

joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 13. Aug 2010, 17:44 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

Are you interested in painting :?: I know that Joy and Joseph are both very talented artists, but I wondered whether there are any more forum members who enjoy painting. I am very interested in art, and I enjoy painting, mainly in watercolours and acrylics. I'm not in the same league as Joy or Joseph, but I enjoy trying to improve my skills.

I recently finished a watercolour of some flowers, which I was quite pleased with, but now I am working on an abstract in acrylics. It is inspired by pictures taken in space. It is an experiment because I don't normally do abstract paintings, but I wanted to try something different.

To any other artists, what are you painting now :?: I would be interested to know.

Joan b020.gif
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Joan

I used to paint a little and draw mainly people, buildings like ST Paul's but was better drawing cartoons.

So I don't think I qualify.

Trish xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    You Do!!! Trisher you do I'm sure.

I enjoy it too but tend to lack the time - I am at teh stage kids wise when I help them with theirs - Lucy loves it.

I did take a piccy of her last painting which was beleive it or not - a butternut squash(!) if I can i will stick it on face book :wink:

Would like to see other people's art too.

My 'real' big sis has a degree in art ( done in her 40's - I am avery proud).

Love

Toni xx
  • joanlawson
    Hi Trisher and Toni, and thank you for your replies.

Trisher, of course you qualify; do you still draw now? Cartoons are an art form all of their own, and there is a lot of skill in it.

I was hoping that there were more people interested in art on the forum. If Joy or Joseph read this, I would be interested to know what you are painting now.

Any replies gratefully received :D
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    I paint in watercolour and pastel and sometimes both.
    I've just finished a watercolour of a steamtrain passing
    over a viaduct on the Settle to Carlisle line.
    My favourite is drawing with my fountain pen which I've
    had and used since 1962.
    Why is it interesting to ask what people are currently
    painting?
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    ichabod6 wrote:
    Why is it interesting to ask what people are currently painting?
    All artists are inquisitive as it is part of their interest in the world around us. If they weren't, they wouldn't want to paint it.

It's just a part of social interaction with a group of people with similar interests. Different people paint different things in different styles, media and subject.

I have just completed two 20 x 16 canvases, one taken from an old photograph of a factory on the sea front at dawn and another of the view from the The Sump, Burton-on Trent. Both are in acrylic on canvas and completed in my developed style which is an eclectic mix of traditional and impressionism.

I'm currently getting splinters under my fingernails from scratching my head as I can't decide on my next painting.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • joanlawson
    Hi Ichabod

I find it interesting to know what subjects inspire people to paint, and for what reasons. (just curiosity really ) My current painting was inspired by looking at the photographs taken from the Hubble telescope. http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/nebula I find these nebulae very beautiful.

I think your choice of the steamtrain is a wonderful subject for a painting, and I can imagine that it would have been quite difficult too. Are you pleased with the result? How lovely to draw with the fountain pen you have used for so long. It must seem like a trusted friend to you.
  • joanlawson
    ichabod6 wrote:
    Why is it interesting to ask what people are currently painting?
    All artists are inquisitive as it is part of their interest in the world around us. If they weren't, they wouldn't want to paint it.

It's just a part of social interaction with a group of people with similar interests. Different people paint different things in different styles, media and subject.

I have just completed two 20 x 16 canvases, one taken from an old photograph of a factory on the sea front at dawn and another of the view from the The Sump, Burton-on Trent. Both are in acrylic on canvas and completed in my developed style which is an eclectic mix of traditional and impressionism.

I'm currently getting splinters under my fingernails from scratching
    my head as I can't decide on my next painting.

Joseph 8)

Hi Joseph

You are right about being inquisitive. I am always interested in what other people are painting, and I am constantly trying to learn from others too. I think that most artists are influenced by the work of others to some extent, whether consciously or subconsciously.

Your two latest canvases sound great, and I would love to see them, especially the view from the Sump, as I know that area. I hope you will post a slideshow of your recent paintings like you did last year.

As for your next painting, I'm sure the inspiration will come soon.

Joan :D
  • trisher
    Joaan

Unfortunately I cannot draw or paint anymore because of my hands. When are you going to show us your painting???

Trish xx
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    Hi Joan,

I used to love painting drawing etc in different mediums just off the top of my head what ever scene came into it , i did an ink drawing of a seal, i love them. I also did a pencil drawing of a springer spaniel for my brother , not done any for ages due to moving house and arthur. I have recently been thinking i want to get my artist stuff out and take it with me when we go off in the motorhome as i cant walk far at all atm so i thought i should get me art box out ! see how i get on with my hands as it hurts to hold a pen to write but i am indeed going to give it a go i will let you know how i get on.

Happy Painting!
    Rose x
  • livinglegend
    roses1 wrote:
    see how i get on with my hands as it hurts to hold a pen to write. Rose x
    Try putting a piece of foam pipe insulation round your pen, as some say that it can help, as it is easier to grip.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • joanlawson
    Hi Trisher and Rose

It is difficult when you can't hold a brush or pencil very well. That is a good tip from Joseph, and I hope you will manage to do some painting on your holiday, Rose.
  • trisher
    roses1 wrote:
    see how i get on with my hands as it hurts to hold a pen to write. Rose x
    Try putting a piece of foam pipe insulation round your pen, as some say that it can help, as it is easier to grip.

Joseph 8)

Joseph

That is an idea, will try that also wheen I type, until I can decide what to buy Dragon or something. Cannot make up my mind what I want.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I love to draw but dont often have the time or energy (too busy ironing Joan)!!!!!
    However I think I trip to Tate Modern is on the cards as this is sons only homework this holiday.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joanlawson
    Hi Elizabeth

I love visiting art galleries, and I have been to Tate Modern once. As with all modern art, some things you wonder what they are there for, and other things are amazing. I really enjoy looking around, and approach it with an open mind.
  • joanlawson
    Now there's an offer no artist could refuse :!: :lol::lol:
  • joanlawson
    Decisions,decisions :!: :roll:

Anyone got a spare figleaf :?: :?: :oops: :oops:
  • joanlawson
    Don't know. Never looked :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • tkachev
    Im sure we could find one for you Rehab. Acyually I feel sorry for the models. One poor chap fainted during a class, most of them need the money.
    Joan I havent been for years.Page and I wandered round a local art exhibition once but thats not quite the same standard. I think id love to go to the Tate. But its lots of walking and dont think id manage.

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • livinglegend
    tkachev wrote:
    I think id love to go to the Tate. But its lots of walking and dont think id manage.
    Elizabeth x
    There is bookable Blue Badge parking close to Tate Britain and five wheelchairs and two mobility scooters are available at the gallery. You can either book them in advance, or ask a member of staff on arrival. You need to have driven a mobility scooter before if you want to use one of theirs.
    http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/information/access.htm

I went many years ago and it was worth it to see the works on display. I was really inspired by the Turner Collection on show.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    a bit of a late contribution here but saw the topic and couldn't resist
    I'm a bit of a painter - general abstract or abstract landscape in acrylic are my favorites but i'll turn my hand to almost anything

I studied architecture at university so drawing is kinda considered an essential skill but its generally the technical kind which is currently being usurped by computers. we were never taught it though, just expected to be able to do it!

I do dabble in most art forms I don't consider myself very good but others seem to like it and I've sold one or two pieces. Its intimidating because my sister is a pro and is absolutely amazing.
    The same goes for photography, i dabble, my brothers a pro!

I'm not currently painting anything although I have some canvases stretched and waiting...just need some spare time, but work and toddler are keeping me occupied so unless I give up on sleep there isn't much time for painting at the moment :(
    Chrissie
  • tkachev
    tkachev wrote:
    I think id love to go to the Tate. But its lots of walking and dont think id manage.
    Elizabeth x
    There is bookable Blue Badge parking close to Tate Britain and five wheelchairs and two mobility scooters are available at the gallery. You can either book them in advance, or ask a member of staff on arrival. You need to have driven a mobility scooter before if you want to use one of theirs.
    http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/information/access.htm

I went many years ago and it was worth it to see the works on display. I was really inspired by the Turner Collection on show.

Joseph 8)

Thankyou Joseph. The blue badge will be great and maybe a wheelchair. Ive never driven the mob scoots before. Thankyou so much for this info.And thanks to Joan for her comments on the Tate too.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I envy you talented people. I have the ideas but hugely lack the ability. I used to enjoy watching Watercolour Challenge with the lovely Hannah Gordon. They found some interesting places for the contestants to have a crack at! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ailsarobby
    ailsarobby Member Posts: 63
    my passion is painting and has been for many many years...I love to paint using all different mediums...I even use other stuff like sand..tissue paper...polyfilla..ect....but finding it hard lately to use brushes,,,so ive been putting on latex gloves and painting with my hands,,and I must say had some quite good results mainly sea scapes which is easy to do...I wouldn't say my art is great but friends say they like my stuff.... :)
  • joanlawson
    edited 12. Aug 2010, 20:43
    cthornley wrote:
    a bit of a late contribution here but saw the topic and couldn't resist
    I'm a bit of a painter - general abstract or abstract landscape in acrylic are my favorites but i'll turn my hand to almost anything

I studied architecture at university so drawing is kinda considered an essential skill but its generally the technical kind which is currently being usurped by computers. we were never taught it though, just expected to be able to do it!

I do dabble in most art forms I don't consider myself very good but others seem to like it and I've sold one or two pieces. Its intimidating because my sister is a pro and is absolutely amazing.
    The same goes for photography, i dabble, my brothers a pro!

I'm not currently painting anything although I have some canvases stretched and waiting...just need some spare time, but work and toddler are keeping me occupied so unless I give up on sleep there isn't much time for painting at the moment :(
    Chrissie

Hi Chrissie

I have just realised that I didn't reply to your post, so I do apologise. You must be very good at drawing to have studied architecture.

When you said that you weren't as good as your sister, I think you are mistaken to compare your work with hers, as all artists are different. I imagine that even Monet or Van Gogh probably thought that their work wasn't good enough from time to time. :!: :D

I work on the principle that I paint to please myself, and to enjoy the creative experience. If it turns out well, and other people like it too, that is an added bonus, but it isn't the main reason why I paint. You are right that painting takes up a lot of time, but I hope you manage to fill those canvases sometime.

Joan
  • joanlawson
    ailsarobby wrote:
    my passion is painting and has been for many many years...I love to paint using all different mediums...I even use other stuff like sand..tissue paper...polyfilla..ect....but finding it hard lately to use brushes,,,so ive been putting on latex gloves and painting with my hands,,and I must say had some quite good results mainly sea scapes which is easy to do...I wouldn't say my art is great but friends say they like my stuff.... :)

Hi ailsarobby

Thank you for replying to my thread. I had almost forgotten it :!: I love the idea of using different mediums, and the idea of painting with your hands is excellent. I can imagine some very good seascapes using that method.

I have just collected three of my works of art from the picture framer's today, and I am happy with the results. Trouble is I'm rapidly running out of wall space.

Happy painting to all my artist friends :!: :D

Joan