Hot Flush Miracle!

tillytop
tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
edited 25. Jan 2014, 12:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
There have been several posts recently about sweating (or glowing as Rehab so wonderfully puts it) for reasons menopausal or otherwise so I thought I would share my recent experience of an eating plan which has, in the space of 17 days, virtually banished my hot (and cold) flushes. I am still slightly concerned that it’s a fluke and that they will return with a vengeance at any moment so I was going to wait a bit longer before posting this message. But I know that there are other very desperate peeps out there so thought this might help some of you.

My hot (and cold) flushes are thought to be due to a combination of early menopause and a pituitary gland disorder but I am not taking HRT or other medication for this. Over the past year the flushes and accompanying palpitations have, at times been totally debilitating, and I have spent days and sometimes weeks at time virtually housebound by them due to their frequency and severity, day and night. Recently, after 2 months of relentless flushes and another 2 weeks spent literally doing nothing except sitting in front of my fan or shivering under fleecy blankets, I started to re-read a book I had bought previously called “Cruising through the Menopause” by Dr Maryon Stewart of the Womens’ Nutritional Advisory Service. The book tells of others in my situation whose symptoms have been eased significantly by eating a generally healthy diet high in pyto-oestrogens (found for example in soya products) so I decided to give it a go. By day 10, the night sweats had virtually gone, and the daytime ones were reduced to every one and a half to three hours and my temperature felt fairly normal between whiles. By the day before yesterday (day 15) the daytime flushes were down to 2 or 3 per day and were very mild and things are still improving. I cannot believe it and I am soooo happy!!! I am not following the suggested diet to the letter so I can still do more if I need to but, if anyone is interested, what I have done is this:

Signficantly reduced my sugar intake (I was seriously comfort eating because I felt so bad) so only occasional biscuits, sticky buns, wholemeal bread instead of white etc

Reduced my caffeine intake from 5 mugs of tea per day (sometimes 6) to 2 (one sugar in each, can’t do without)

Added into my diet lots of phyto-oestregen rich foods – 600ml soya milk each day (in 4 “doses”), ground linseed, pumpkin and sunflower seeds sprinkled onto everything from cereal to salad, adding sprouted alfalfa seeds to my salads (growing them myself which is fun)

Started taking a red clover supplement once a day (another rich source of phyto-oestrogens).

Continued to take Osteocare, Cardioace and high dose vit c which I have been doing for some time.

It hasn’t been easy to make these changes, specially when I felt as if I was depriving myself of my favourite foods and I wasn’t yet seeing any improvement but it has been soooo worth it!

Sorry to ramble on! I know I am at risk of becoming a bit “evangelical” about this but I still cannot believe the difference it has made to me and I hope that, by telling my story, others might benefit.

Love Tilly (who is hoping she isn’t going to get banned from the forum for sending such a long post).

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Tilly

Wow!!

I am so so pleased for you :wink:

I don't have a lot of thes problems yet, but have been waiting...it will happen one day.

I dont eat meat and so eat a fair bit of soya so maybe it's been helping.

I havent got any alfafa sprouting seeds - (they weren't homeb@se when I went :( ) but thoes seeds are amazingly rich in goodness arene't they?

Well done Tilly

I hope this contunues.

Love and hugs

Toni xx

(cooking sherry and Brandy ok?? :wink: )
  • tillytop
    Thanks Toni!

I don't eat red meat, but I do eat chicken and I am sure my diet has been sadly lacking in lots of things generally up until now. Would be interested to know what sort of soya you buy and how you prepare it because the supermarket has several different sorts and I'm a bit stumped!

As you say, alfala seeds are apparently a bit of a "superfood" - and very tasty too. Hope Lucy got her seed sprouter going ok.

And no restriction at all on virtual brandy and cooking sherry thank goodness!!!

Hope you are having a good day today.

Love Tily x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Well done to you, tillytop. I am so pleased that you have felt the benfits of your determination, that is a good thing. I know that Japanese women do not suffer from the miseries of flushes and that is thought to be due to their increased levels of soya intake throughout their lives: they do not consume anywhere near the levels of dairy produce that Westerners do - I remember reading somewhere that Western people smell unpleasant to the Japanese becaise of the dairy we eat - is that too fanciful? I don't know.

Keep up the good work hun, sometimes it's tough being a girl! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jenfa1
    jenfa1 Member Posts: 42
    Well done Tilly, changing your diet is a hard thing, I think we all know what we should eat but comfort eating some days is all we can do! Certainly worth trying, most of the time I am shivering though.

I keep thinking I should eat better but a sticky bun comes along and there go my good intentions LOL

Just be careful if you add soy sauce as it is high in salt but moderation iin everything.

Jen
    x
  • tillytop
    Thanks Jen - and thanks for the soy sauce tip.

I'm with you on the sticky bun thing. But it got to the stage of utter desperation which did make it easier. That said, I did have a sticky bun today and it was yummy!!

Love Tilly x
  • tillytop
    Thanks DD. And interesting about the "dairy smell". You learn something every day on here!

Love Tilly x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Wow Tilly, I'm impressed. Keep us updated. I shall store this info for future reference!!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • tillytop
    Thanks Speedy.

Better and better! Today is day 19 (I think) and daytime hot flushes have now just about disappeared as well. Cannot believe it!

Tilly x
  • dreamdaisy
    Wonderful! I am really pleased for you, that is such good news. I hope you have had a pleasant week-end. DD
  • speedalong
    Tilly that is amazing! Good job you stuck to the diet for long enough to reap the rewards. How long is it recommended that you stick to the diet or is a lifelong one?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    nice one , I already take soya as I'm a vegetarian and yes family o blame this on all my ill health yeah right, as if I could put meat (animal meat) in my mouth ugh the thought makes me gag I am a total animal lover and that means not eating them, we did keep chickens for a few weeks but I found I could not eat their eggs as i saw or knew where they came from lol, anyway back to this diet I tried soya milk and it was ugh but will maybe try again as you have had such great results, I really need to stop eating sugar as in cakes and chocoalte in my case I'm diabetic and need to watch my cravings, BUT am trying to eat more healthier so am going to try his having had a hysterctomy last year I hit menopause within weeks i do take menopace and dixarit from Drs to control my glowing but it occasionally gets me unawares but I take sepia for that and it subsides really quick, but would love to come off some of these pills a i take over 25 most days thanks for all that great info :D
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Hi Tillytop

DD highlighted your post about food type intake and your success.

I am totally made up for you. I am currently on vegan wholefoods to see if it eases my SLE symptoms. Have recently introduced fish to my diet. I am feeling more energetic and losing a bit weight even tho' I have started taking steriods. Not sure if the food is helping my symptoms as I have started new meds also however as I see it, changing my diet will not harm me and may do some good.

I totally buy into we are what we eat so there must be something in it.

Honestly, it gives me a big smile :lol: to hear about your success. Well done you!
    Re DD's comment about our smell ..... yep, I've read that us dairy consumers smell like sour milk! Eek!
    Carol x
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    babycham wrote:
    Tilly and everyone Soya milk increases breast size definately I know this to be true ask my o/h if you dont believe meXXXb/cham

Really?? OMG! I am a 34JJ and since starting wholefoods malarky have been drinking soya milk.

I had better stop or I will be in danger of toppling over like a weeble-wobble.

Hey, maybe I am not ill ..... I don't have Arthritis or SLE making me fall over .... I just need to stop the soya haha :lol:
    Carol
  • dreamdaisy
    34JJ? Your cups do indeed runneth over. 42G myself. Flamin' uncomfortable they are too. The Hattieness continues to gather pace. DD
  • tillytop
    Thanks for all your words of encouragement (and interesting insights from DD and Cham)!

Just an update in case anyone is interested...

Now day 31 and things have continued to improve. I would now say my temperature is completely normal and, I am beginning to believe that the problem has really gone away. Despite current high dose steroids my clothes seem to be a bit looser which is an added bonus and I have noticed drastic improvements in my skin and nails. I also think I feel better generally, despite the RA stuff that's going on.

Can thoroughly recommend this eating plan to anyone struggling like I was.

Love Tilly x
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Hi Tilly, think I'll give this diet a go too - I'm a hormonal mess for at least 10 days a month, so nothing to lose!

Don't think I could cut out tea and chocolate completely, but definitely need to cut down! How quickly did the Red Clover start to work?

Lois x
  • tillytop
    Hi Lois - fear not you will probably not have to cut out the tea and choccy completely! I couldn't do that either. I have 2 cups of tea per day and three squares of Green and Black's organic milk chocolate (my favourite) per day. which is just about enough to stop me feeling deprived.

In terms of the timescale for the red clover, difficult to say because I started taking it at the same time as I started the rest of the eating plan. The key part of the eating plan is that it is rich in "phyto-oestregens", and the red clover is just an additional “fix” of these. From my experience key things is to eat generally sensibly, at regular intervals, and to add regular amounts of phto-oestregens throughout the day.

This diet is geared up to the menopause, specifically, but there is an eating plan by the same people for PMT and general hormonal problems.

If you do decide to go ahead with this, really good luck! I still cannot believe the difference these few dietary changes have made to me!

Love Tilly x
  • dreamdaisy
    I really am pleased for you tillytop, it's lovely to have some good news on this forum! Well done to you, and to carola, for sticking to your changes long enough to see some benefits. I just don't have the willpower, well, not at the moment, anyway. DD
  • tillytop
    Thanks DD. Not so much willpower in my case as desperation! But I have to say that it gets harder as I get better - easy to slip back into old habits if I'm not careful.

Tilly x
  • tillytop
    Bumping this up for Angilee and others.

My hot and cold flushes are back with avengance but then I have seriously let the diet slip (as so often happens when things appear to be back to normal). But I thought my experiences might be helpful to others going through the same thing.

Tillyxxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Tilly thank you for bumping this back up as I had missed this (was probably awol)
    I hope when you start the diet again it carries on giving you some relief.

My biggest problem tthere is the cut down on tea and coffee. I have 2 teas and 5 coffees in the day :oops: with sugar :shock: :oops:

What do you drink instead? (have i missed it, sorry if you have said)
    I don't like herbal or fruit teas. :cry:

I do like that chocolate though :grin:

Juliepf x
  • nanasue
    nanasue Member Posts: 465
    I just thought I'd add my two pennorth, my friend lent me this book when I had hot flushes, I found it very useful and did some of the things mentioned which really helped, but I found taking a vitamin E tablet every day was what did the trick most. Luckily I finished the menopause 5 years ago, now I just get hot flushes and sweats from the meds, I'm glad I didn't have to deal with both.

Sue x
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Thanks Tilly for bumping this up. I don't know how I missed it. I suffer terribly with the hot flashes. They too keep me housebound as I am literally wringing wet, disgusting. If ever I have mentioned it I have had disparaging comments from menopausal ladies who tell me it is nothing compared to them. :roll:

However a recent gynae appt clarified for me that it is not just the inflammation and meds causing them, I have PCOS, a hormone imbalance and too thick womb lining. Funnily enough I immediately went out and bought ground linseed as I remembered it helps. I put it in yoghurt to try and disgiuse the taste. :shock:

I already try to keep tea and sugar to a minimum due to diabetes and kidney problems. Your experience has spurred me on to stick with it!! :grin:

I hope it continues to help you.

P.s. Alfafa sprouts are to be AVOIDED in lupus patients, it causes flares.

P.P.S. Carola, count me in as a weeble wobble :lol:
  • speedalong
    Hi Tilly,
    your enthusiasm in this thread must have made a big impression on me at the time; my teaching assistant has just had a hysterectomy and is really suffering with hot flushes - I recalled this thread and have just looked up the diet book title for her.

So many thanks,

Hope your flushes are back under control again now,

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Hi Tilly,

I thought at first it was stress, but now think it might be "the change," so I looked up your book and have started my version of the diet .... seems to be helping and it's only early days. Not following everything and weaning myself slowly of the caffeine as don't want the headaches of withdrawal.

Many thanks,

How are you these days?

Speedy