new to all this

suzicronin
suzicronin Member Posts: 3
edited 16. Aug 2010, 15:27 in Say Hello Archive
Hi I have just found out that i have osteoarthritis in my hips and i am only 41 - i know there are other people younger than me with this but i always thought that this was something that you got when you were old. I have always been really active and dont know yet how this will affect me. Can i run, walk do aerobics, cycle ???? will this make things worse. I am afraid i know very little at this stage as only just diagnosed! Have just entered this website and really hope for some support!

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Suzi and welcome to the forum!

So sorry about your diagnosis but you will be made very welcome here and will find lots of support and guidance from others with OA. Arthritis does tend to be thought of an and "old person's diseases" but you will find that there are lots of younger people on the forum, with all types of arthritis. Mine is Rheumatoid Arthritis and I am 43 (diagnosed aged twenty eight).

If you re-post this message on the "living with arthritis" forum, you will certainly get lots of replies because we all look there. There is also the "chit-chat" forum for the more lighthearted stuff - try the "cafe" thread where there is often someone online to chat to.

Please know that you are not alone in this - we are here to listen and support as best we can - but best of all we understand what you are going through.

Look forward to seeing you posting again soon.

Love Tilly x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi suzi
    welcome i know exercise good as it helps keep muscles strong and protects joints but get advice on what exercise you should take val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello suzi, and welcome. I don't have OA so cannot help on the exercise front but I can understand the worry and frustration about the diagnosis. Have a look around the forums and dive in with any thoughts and observations. Not very many people look in on this forum, so I'm afraid you'll have to come and find us! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suzicronin
    suzicronin Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies i have had. Will try to get involved in the main forum!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    You don't need to try - jump in! You will be welcomed with (metaphorically) opened arms. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    suzicronin wrote:
    Thanks for the replies i have had. Will try to get involved in the main forum!

Just giving you a warm welcome, I cannot add no more than the girls have said.

I got bitten by arthur when I was 34 he went for my neck.

Come and join in any where you want to, we don't bite honest. :)

Love Trish xxx