Waiting on tests

angie1973
angie1973 Member Posts: 248
Hello helpteam,

8 years ago, I had a car accident which caused severe whiplash. I've had issues with my neck ever since, and things have got worse and worse over the years. I had physio and chiropractor treatment, but nothing helped.

I then had pain in my back, legs, knees, hands etc, and got diganosed with Fibromyalgia, but I've always believed, and particularly recently that my knees in particular and my neck have further damage than just fibro.

I had a deep acute pain in my neck, and it feels sore and burning, it's stiff most mornings, makes a lot of noise when I move it about, as does my knee, which I can't walk on very well after a while as the pain is too bad so I need a stick to aid me.

I have been sent for some blood tests one of which is the CRP and the other RF, as well as full blood counts and tests for liver, kidney, thyroid, diabetes etc, so an waiting on the results.

What I don't have is the obvious swelling of joints, but they do hurt a lot and get stiff, RA runs in the family, so am not sure if it could be this or OA.

What I was wondering is if the RF comes back negative, could it be OA, and should I ask for x-rays to be done? They were done once a few weeks after the accident but have never been repeated despite my neck pain becoming worse and worse.

Sorry for the long post but would appreciate your advice.
Thanks

Only 99.9% possessed by the giggle monster.........the other 0.01 % just eats chocolate..

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Angie

As you have had a severe whiplash injury it is probably more likely to be OA then RA however we cannot diagnose so it is better to speak to you GP to get a clear and definitive diagnosis.

If your symptoms have become so much worse during the last few years then they may wish to do a scan or x-ray however this is not done on a routine basis any more.

For further information these links may help: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis_information/arthritis_types__symptoms/neck_pain.aspx

http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets - see booklet called Understanding Arthritis.

If you would like us to send you an information pack just private message us you address, and full name.

Best wishes

Simona.
  • angie1973
    Thank you Simona.

I was confused as well, as he put down in my notes about having mild to moderate OA, which I thought was more likely given the previous trauma to my neck.

I get pain and stiffness and cracking etc, and have the same in my knee too, and it would be good to know one way or the other.

I am hoping if the results come come negative for RA, that he will send me for x-rays or a scan as I know there is a lot of pain there. I've had this a very long time, and it's been getting worse these past six months or so.

Thank you for your help.

Only 99.9% possessed by the giggle monster.........the other 0.01 % just eats chocolate..
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi angie1973. I'm no expert but from what I have read on these forums it does sound like OA. If the results are not conclusive then yes, push for xrays because if it is OA, it should show. I wish you well. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • angie1973
    Thank you to all the lovely people who time time to reply. I really appreciate the support on here.

Well, I'm glad to have at least now ruled out Rheumatoid Arthritis. I suspected this would be the case anyway, but my round of tests did not show Rheumatoid factor, but did show inflammation. Kidney, Liver, Diabetes, thyroid, and all the other tests thankfully came back normal, although he was concerned I was a bit anaemic.

So what did get confirmed was Osteoarthritis. This was very much suspected but ruling out Rheumatoid was good. He said it's in my hands, knees and neck, and possibly in my lower back, and that he would be confident in saying so without having x-rays done on my back.

So I know what it is, that is good. Along with Fibromyalgia, I have some management to do. What is worrying me at the moment, is my knuckles on my right hand particularly are showing bone growth on them. It was my index finger at first, now it's the second and ring finger also showing signs. This has been quite painful especially during this damp weather which is playing me up something chronic.

I know there are no definitive time scales on how long it takes to go through the process and how I will look after, but is there anything else other than glucosamine and normal painkillers I can take to help ease the pain? I don't like taking most painkillers as it upsets my IBS but I do take the odd one when my fibro pains get really bad.

Sorry to witter on!!
    Ange..

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Angie

I'm glad to see that you have finally got a diagnosis and that Rheumatoid arthritis is ruled out. Also I'm sorry to hear about the pain you are getting in your right hand.

We have some useful information on managing pain in our 'Coping with Pain' booklet at http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets. Also the 'living with Osteoarthritis' booklet has some useful information about managing the condition.

If the pain gets to much it is worth asking your doctor to be referred to a pain clinic (if you havent already been to one). For a list of complimentary therapies you can go to
    http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis_information/complementary_therapy.aspx.

I hope this information is useful to you.

You are welcome to ring our helplines on 0808 8082000 if you would like to have a chat about your condition.

Regards

Nick
  • angie1973
    Thank you Nick!

I appreciate all the advice. I shall have a good read. I've poured over the general arthritis booklet which is really very good for people newly diagnosed.

It's good to have somewhere to go to and someone at the end of a line to talk to as well, you all do such good work. Makes the world of difference when you are going through a rough time to know someone understands how you feel.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
    Ange..

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Some people recommend hot wax treatment angie - if you post on the Living With Arthritis thread, requesting info, the answers will come. Not many people check this forum, so please post on the other. I'm glad for you it isn't RA, but I'm sorry it's OA. DD (who has neither!)
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben