another Newbie

d28boy
d28boy Member Posts: 4
edited 1. Sep 2010, 19:22 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone

I'm 48 & just been diagnosed with moderate OA in my hips. After a brief read of this forum feel lucky that's all I have up till now. Have been a competitive runner for near enough 20 years and had a niggling pain which simply got worse to the point I reluctantly went to the Doc's.....Now I don't run any more. Looking for advice etc but see that living with arthritis forum is really the place to go

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You are right about the LWA forum d28! Not many people look on here but welcome to the worst club in the world. I am sorry to hear that your running days are done but there are other forms of exercise (apparently) that might take its place. As my toes, ankles, knees and sacro-iliac joints are completely shot thanks to arthritis, the only bits of me that gets regular exercise are my fingers (lots of typing on the forums when they're up to it) and my right elbow, lifting weights to the value of one pint of Wherry etc.

There is no specific treatment for OA - the condition is monitored by GPs, not rheumatologists as the cause behind OA is different to that of RA and PA, fibro etc etc etc. OA is wear and tear, the others are related to an over-active immune system, hence the foul meds that us lot are on. I have PA (psoriatic arthritis) and am permanently on crutches. I never ran much anyway - too big in the bust area, very painful! I wish you well, keep in touch. There are many OA people around here - there's a wealth of experience upon which you can draw. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi d28boy
    A very warm welcome from me, I don't know what I would do without this forum, everyone are so supportive and friendly.
    I am so sorry you have ad to give up running, but maybe new doors will be open to you.
    I hope to see you posting more very soon
    Take care
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi

just called in to say a warm welcome from me.

Well, you may have arthur as we call him, but you will find that we do support one another when needed.

We also have the CChat Forum where we go to relax and although we still talk abouit arthur in the cafe which is there.

There are many threads on there which you might want to put your view across.
    You can also start a Thread of your own there.

Hope to see you post soon

Trish xx
  • whitey44
    whitey44 Member Posts: 36
    Hello & Welcome d28boy

You have come to the right place :!: Look forward to seeing you posting.

Take care

Pure wishes & love

Whitey :D
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,335
    Hi D28Boy

I appologise it looks like i forgot to welcome you to the forums too :oops: So sorry.

When they say moderate - blimey it doesnt feel it does it??!!

Hope you get the support you need on here from us lot - by the way we are short on men :lol:

Love

Toni xx
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Hi de28boy, just wanted to give you a warm welcome from me. I would also like to say not all of us think this is the worst club in the world. I have found this forum a great comfort, and you will get a lot of support as and when you need it. Look forward to your posts.

Jules x
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all