orthorics

Options
gemmapetken
gemmapetken Member Posts: 263
edited 31. Aug 2010, 08:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi
i have an appointment with orthotics in september. i have one leg that is 2 inches shorter than the other. they have said that i should bring a shoe for adaption. I am soooooo worried as i am only 29 and dont want clumpy shoes that look silly. although this will probably help with the hip pain. does anyone have any idea of this or what they might do and should i take my work shoes or trainers or both!!! I am at a lose!!

Gemma

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Gemma,

I go to orthotics and have to wear shoes/boots they make.

I would take both your work shoes and trainers but they'll probably adapt your work shoes. They'll do it as discreetly as they can.

If they have to make some shoes from scratch you'll be able to chose a style from a catalogue.

Hope this helps.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • gemmapetken
    gemmapetken Member Posts: 263
    Options
    thanks!!
    just got my self a bit upset, no one has even noticed this or even measured my legs before, so its come as a shock!

i just want to be "normal" for want of a better word!!

Gxx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Try not to upset yourself Gemma :)

When I had my knees replaced they made one of my legs shorter than the other, think it can happen with joint replacements.

A friend of mine has the same problem as you and she has her ordinary footwear built up by the hospital and it's hardly noticeable.

See how it looks when it's done, no one can force you to wear them and if you've been managing so far then you can continue to manage but it would be better if you can wear them as it'll help with your hip pain.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • Rainbow77
    Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
    Options
    Hi Gemma

I would take both pairs of shoes with you - or the ones that you wear the most. When I went, he looked at how I walked and then really examined my feet and measured my legs.

He then gave me really good advice about what type of shoes I should be wearing. He was not impressed with what I had on. But actually his advice was fab and when I got the style he said and put my insoles in the pain in my feet was much less and the appointment was really worthwhile.

So don't worry, I hope it helps you.

Let us know how you get on

Fayann xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I have insoles in my shoes. At firs they were uncomfortable but, they gave me the good adive of only wearing them for half an hour at a time at first and gradually increase the time. They really help me. I'd do what the others say and take too pairs. I'm sure they will be discreet. Good luck. Sue xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Hi Gemma

I bet they will do a really good job for you. And how wonderful will it be if it helps with the pain?

In the winter there will be no probs anyway as trouser fashion is for long long trousers isn't it at the mo?

do let us know how you get on.

Love

Toni xx
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hi Gemma
    My hubby has his shoes altered because he has one leg longer than the other, you need shoes with a decent sole on them, they do a really good job they make the sole thicker by splitting it and putting a layer in the middle no-one will probably notice that its been done, take a couple of pairs of the shoes or trianers that you wear all the time and they will be able to tell you which they should be able to alter for you, I think that in our area the authoirity can do 3 pairs a year so when hubby gets a new pair he just drops them off at the hospital and they do them for him.
    Denise
  • marief
    marief Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi

my right leg is 2inch's shorter due to hip replacement so I've had all my shoes adapted which you do need doing they tend to take the soul of the shoes of and just put a small raiser in it the same colour then put the soul back , and I have had some boots made which I live in I'm 43 so do what old fashioned shoes my uggs have been adapted and my trainers I get my boots from a company called REEDS MEDICAL
    the orthopaedic department will help find shoes to suit you but dont except them if you dont like them .

marie