hello,im new to the forum

lucy145
lucy145 Member Posts: 90
edited 6. Sep 2010, 05:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi my name is lucy, i have suspected RA am waiting to see a rheumatologist in a few weeks and wondering what will happen on my first visit,would love to hear from others with any information.

have been having pains in my hips for the last 3 years but never got it seen too but the last few months it has spread to lots of other joints,my feet,knees,wrists,one finger,thumb and one shoulder and elbow,but my feet are the worst,does anyone else suffer with their feet most?

ive had numerous blood tests and my RF factor is 51 and was told that is much to high so therefore positive,im not sure about the other tests that were done,i have an underactive thyroid so was wondering if im more prone to another autoimmune disorder as i have one already.

any information would be great thank you.....lucy x

Comments

• jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lucy, nice to meet you welcome to the forum, on my first Rheumy appt, a good 13 years ago, I had yet more blood tests, weighed, a physical examination, x-rays all joints then finally a diagnosis and treatment started, I am sure that other will be along soon love jaspercatxx
  • angie1973
    angie1973 Member Posts: 248
    I don't have RA, I have OA, so would not know what will be done etc, but I just wanted to say a big WELCOME from me, and hope you will soon find lots of support, information and friends.

:D Ange..

Only 99.9% possessed by the giggle monster.........the other 0.01 % just eats chocolate..
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Hi Lucy and welcome to the forum. :) I have both RA and OA and from what I can remember about my initial appointment at the rheumatology department was that I was weighed,all my joints were examined,a chest x ray and blood tests were done and general questions about my health.After that I was started on medication.Can't help with foot pain though as I have it mostly in the hands,shoulders, neck and knees but I'm sure there will be other members who can give you more info.I hope all goes well for you at your consultation. Breane.x
  • lucy145
    hello :) thank you for your replies,its nice to meet you all,am glad i have found this forum because i feel people will understand how im feeling, my friends and family are there for me but feel they dont really understand what its like,they say im only 40 so should go walking or do other exercise to cure it ! i wish i could walk but my feet hurt so much.

thank you for the info on the rheumatology appointment,im nervous about it cos am worried i will be fobbed off, my dr has been very good and referred me on my first visit but hes not sure if its PA or RA as i do have psorisis but the high RF has made him think more along those lines.

can anyone else tell me what theyre early symptoms were of any arthritis? thanks again,tc lucy x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Lucy
    A very warm welcome from me, take a list with you, going back to when you first had pain, which joints it affects, any swelling, and a list of medication you are taking.
    I hope it all goes well for you, let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi lucy

Good to meet you.

I agree with Barbara take a list with you - sart it now.

things like when it satrted - how long for which joints affected and how. What cant you do now?

Any other symptoms like extreme tiredness or high temperature rashes etc.

You could just be right about the autoimmune link though....lots of people have other issues too...mmm...

Hope you find us helpful and to see you around and about :)

Love

Toni xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi lucy nice to meet you.

I have had RA for 22 years i am now 47 and i am going to a different hospital on thursday for treatment. After 22 years at the same place i am also wondering what to expext.

I have been reading your replies and picking up a few tips. I have written things down too.

I know one thing , it will take up a good part of the morning so tke some snacks, I am.

Good luck with your consultation

juliepf xx
  • frogmorton
    [.

I know one thing , it will take up a good part of the morning so tke some snacks, I am.

juliepf xx[/quote]

and a good book??!! :wink:
  • julie47
    frogmorton wrote:
    [.

juliepf xx

and a good book??!! :wink:[/quote]

I am too nosey to read. :lol: :oops:

juliepfx
  • lucy145
    hello again, thank you for your replies,you all sound lovely and am so glad i found this site :) i will do a list,i wouldnt of thought of that but i know i would forget things cos i will be nervous when i go.

ive had psorisis on and off for years but have had palmoplanter psorisis (think ive spelt that right) on my hands and feet for about 3yrs,about the same time my hips started hurting,i also get a sharp agonising pain in the top of my thigh which im wondering is a bursa or something,its absolutely agony but had no other pains until about 9wks ago when my back went in spasm (thats what it felt like anyway) that took 3wks to ease up then my left foot started hurting then the right one,then my elbow followed by one finger,then one thumb,now my knees and the left hand and shoulder, im stiff in the mornings but it takes about 3hrs to ease off and i am struggling with work cos am on my feet the whole time, ive had carpel tunnel for years and got what the dr said is a ganglion on my right wrist that hurts like mad and wakes me up every night.i do get sweats but put that down to menopause,even tho i had an early one at 30, the tiredness ive put down to my thyroid and kept thinking i needed more thyroxine but blood tests say no,sorry if im rambling its just nice to get this off my chest.

thank you again for your kind replies,and if anyone ever needs someone to chat too im here :( lucy x
  • julie47
    you're not rambling , its good to get it off your chest .
    At the moment you have a lot of questions you want answering.

I blame night sweats on arthur, and the medication.

I blame arthur for everything, :)

love juliepfx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Lucy a welcome from me too.

I've had RA for 24 years.

As already been said first consultation is medical history, bloods, x-rays, examination of joints, urine sample and I suggest you take a list of all the medication you're taking as well as your list of questions.

Going to a swimming pool might help with your foot pain, just walking through the water forwards, backwards and side to side helps keep your muscles working, check with your GP if you're not too sure.

Hope this helps.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Lucy, welcome to the forum. I have OA not RA and so see an ortho instead of a rheumy so nothing to add and I am just wishing your appointment goes well.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Lucy, Welcome to the forum.
    Good luck with your appointment and as everyone has said make a list of all your symptoms it really helps the Dr to go through them.
    Have you got someone to go with you? Two heads and all that.
    Oh and new undies might be a good idea as they will want to examine you and sound your chest and feel your tummy.
    They will need to get all your results through before they decide which treatment to offer.

Hope this helps,

Lv, Ix
  • nanarose
    nanarose Member Posts: 117
    Hi Lucy.

I was back and forward to the Rheumatologist for years before I got a definite diagnosis of PA, which has gotten worse very quickly since then.

I too had an examination of all my joints, asked to do a few stretches and walk back and forth, blood tests and x-rays of fingers, and feet, and a very in-depth health history.

It all took quite a time, so definitely take a drink with you, and something to relieve the boredom of waiting to get X-rays and bloods done, as you can't disappear off to the cafe!:lol:

By the time I was eventually diagnosed I already had the swollen 'sausage' fingers and toes indicative of Psoriatic Arthritis.
    I also suffer from psoriasis, which made the diagnosis pretty straightforward at that point.

I suffer badly from swollen, and sore toes and hands/fingers, and it is difficult to do anything when your feet are so painful, so I really can sympathise with you.
    I have to do things in small blocks, then put my feet up for a bit, to let them recover, than do something else, and so on.
    I can't walk any long distances as everything I wear rubs my joints terribly, and exacerbates the swelling. (I find wearing crocs really help me as they are so roomy.)
    The treatment regime I am on has helped other areas of my body, but the feet remain resistant unfortunately.

Others on here have given you the best advice really - take notes and perhaps even photographs of your joints at their worst when you see the Rheumy.

Hopefully you will get a diagnosis, and then help to relieve some of the pain.
    I wish you the best of luck.
  • mummyb
    mummyb Member Posts: 1,231
    Hi Lucy just wanted to say welcome to the forum, glad you've found us. I have found so much support and friendship around here and I'm sure you will too, they're good people and very wise about arthritis of all types.

I have recently been diagnosed with RA in private appointment and am now waiting for my first rheumy appointment which is on 14 Sept, so not sure what to expect either, I'll let you know how I get on.

Good luck Lucy and I look forward to seeing how you get on. Love and hugs (((((()))))) Brenda xx
  • lucy145
    hi everyone,thank you for all your replies, i am feeling a bit more confidant about my appointment now and will take supplies with me if my going to be there for a while,i have started to write things down too to take as that will help,thanks again you are all great.

im not feeling quite so stiff this morning and the pain isnt quite as bad either but that has happened before and will probably wake up tomorrow with it again,just when you think its easing off it seems to come back with a vengance,is that normal? and its like musical chairs not knowing which extra joint will be hurting next as long as with the ones that already do :roll: coming on this site and talking has helped me too,i know im not alone.

good luck with your appointment brenda,hope it goes well and let me know how you get on, its seems ages away when you first get the appointment thru doesnt it but soon comes round,mine is the 24th sept so not long after yours but luckily im off work that week anyway,speak soon,tc lucy x
  • pixie01
    pixie01 Member Posts: 52
    Hi Lucy, At my first appt the rheumy asked lots of questions about my symptoms, also about arthur in the family. Had an examination in undies, checked walking, bending, legs, all joints. Then sent for blood test and xrays. This was 6 years ago.
    Only told had Inflammatory arthrits august last year after MRI. Still don't know which IA though. Also have cervical OA now as well, and think lower spine and pos hips affected as well.
    I take paracetamol and codeine phosphate for pain as I cant take anti inflams :( Rheumy wants me to take Methatrexate or sulpha, thinking of going with the methatrexate when I can buck up courage :D
    Good luck with appt :) Love Jo x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh dear, you sound like a candidate for PA, psoriatic arthritis. I have that too, but I did it in completely the wrong order and in the wrong way. PA can follow after years of the P, and the classic early symptoms are the small joints of the body being affected, ie toes and fingers. Mine began in 1997 with a left knee that began to swell, I didn't have my first episode of skin problems until late 2006 when my palms and soles were affected. (I did have great scalp problems for two years, from 96-98, which I now think might have been P but no-one diagnosed it as such). I take sulphasalazine, which generally keeps the psoriasis at bay, and I'm on a shed-load of other drugs which try to keep the arthritis under control - try being the operative word. Sitting here now, and focusing on the pain, I can feel all ten toes, bot ankles, both knees and my sacro-iliac joints. Time to shift the focus!

Good footwear is essential - the glamour days are gone, I fear, for both of us. I also use crutches when walking (duh - I wouldn't use them any other time would I?! - stupid girl!) and they do ease the strain. I do things in short bursts, then sit and have a rest. I can't stand still for very long, and I can't walk for very long now, but that deosn't really matter that much. One just gets on with it. Keep in touch, let us know how your first appointment goes, we'll be here to listen to every moan, rant, grumble and gripe. As the others have said, make notes and take them with you. You may also need to take a sample of wee to that first appointment. Check with them about that. You will be weighed, have your BP done, and possibly some Xrays or be referred for an MRI. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lucy145
    hello, thank you DD for your message,the dr thinks i have psoriatic arthritis too but then my RF came back at 51 so hes thinking along those lines now but ive read a high RF doesnt mean you have rheumatoid arthritis,its a bit complicated really lol. sorry to hear that you have it, you seem to suffer a lot,what meds are you on (if any) ive also read that the arthritis can come before the psorisis,ive never suffered that bad with it, used to have it on my scalp years ago but cleared up and now its just on my palms and feet.

i know what you mean about not being able to wear glamour shoes,ouch there is no way i could wear heals,even flats hurt my feet,they feel bruised like someone has crushed them and have to be very careful what im walking on cos it hurts,im now getting tendonnitis at the back of my knees and heels but think it could be the way i have to walk, i used to suffer with that really bad about 7yrs ago but it went away.

i will make sure i wear my best undies when i see the rheumatologist then lol as it looks like i will have to get undressed, not looking forward to that bit at all :?

thank you again for all you msgs,you are all so friendly and kind and its great to chat to you all,once again im so glad i have found this site,tc all and hope you all have a good (painfree) night,speak soon, lucy x x
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    Hi Lucy, sorry Im a bit late in replying but welcome to the forum. As you are already finding out, it is a great place for friendship and support.

Good luck with your Rheumatology appointment. I had my first appointment in February, as my GP suspected I had RA. My Rheummy diagnosed OA but Im due to see my Rheummy again in two weeks and my blood tests are showing inflammation and the pains have gotten worse over the last six months, basically I have pains everywhere.

In preparing for you first appointment, I definately would recommend writing any questions you have down. I had every intention of asking so much but once I got in there, my mind went blank. As others have mentioned, a good set of underwear you don't mind the doctor seeing! If you feel a little uncomfortable, wear a vest top over it, I did. My Rheummy examined all my joints, moving them around asking me to touch my toes, raise my arms out to the side etc... then I went for more bloods, x-rays and had to provide a urine sample.

I, like yourself, have an underactive thyroid. Ive had this since I was a teenager and have had problems with my immune system before now too...Im presuming this is what might have lead to me getting Arthur but obviously Im no doctor so I dont know but Ive found a few others who have thyroid problems too...

The worst part for me was the waiting. I hope you get some answers at your appointment and again, welcome to the forum :D

Caroline x
  • dreamdaisy
    I have to confess (and I can hear the sharp intake of breath from other people around here!) that I have no idea what an RF is. Please enlighten me, someone! No doubt elucidation will follow: people here are very good at answering questions!

Right, I am currently taking fortnightly doses of humira at 40 mgs, weekly meth injections at 17.5, daily naproxen, omeprazole (stomach protector), sulphasalazine, 12.5mg of prednisalone (steroid) and docusate (to relieve constipation - ah, the glamour!) which is caused by co-codamol 30/500 painkillers and weekly alendronic acid (to guard against steroid-induced osteoporosis). I think that's it - I'm tired and I can't concentrate! I'm off to bed now: if I have any further thoughts I'll come back tomorrow. I promise. DD
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Hi Lucy

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear that so many of your joints are affected at the moment..

I have had RA for just over 2 years now, so I am a relative newcomer to it. I can really appreciate your description of your feet feeling as if they have been 'crushed' - that's how I describe my hands when they are playing up..! ..

When I'm particularly stiff in the mornings I find having a hot shower as soon as I get up helps get the joints moving.. even if it means having ANOTHER shower in an hour or so, after I've had my breakfast...

Take care of yourself and make sure you get plenty of rest..

Marion
  • frogmorton
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I have to confess (and I can hear the sharp intake of breath from other people around here!) that I have no idea what an RF is. Please enlighten me, someone! No doubt elucidation will follow: people here are very good at answering questions!

Rheumatoid factor

present in people with RA and a lot who don't too (maybe yet?) without this you get the seroneg label :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Thanks frog - I don't think I have any then 'cos it's never been mentioned! Mind you, PA is the same as RA, treated with the same drugs etc, we just have the added benefit of skin trouble too. Gosh, this stuff does get muddly, doesn't it? Perhaps that's why I was un-diagnosed for so long, no RF but the appearance of an inflammatory condition. I never heard the term sero-negative either. DD