Parking Probs

lululu
lululu Member Posts: 486
edited 2. Sep 2010, 17:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there. I have (I hope) only temporary mobility problems after having an op. Can anyone tell me if there is anyway to be allowed to park in a disabled bay without a BB.I have just missed a hospital app. because I was not able to walk across the car park at that time on that day (earier I could and could today) I am think some of you will know what I mean.

lulu

Comments

• elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Lulu

Phone up your county council they can advise you about a BB....It doesnt matter if your temporarily mobile, my dad had a new knee last year and they issue them for 3 years...I got mine just by phoning up and then sending them cheque for £3.00 and passport photo...It depends on county to county council though...Dont park in bays without badge, you will be fined, as for hospital apps, arrange transport with hospital?

Good luck

Elainex
  • lululu
    Thanks Elaine I have a GP appt. today it is late so I hope I can park, I will ask him for advise. I thought it was more dificult to get a badge these days. It makes life so difficult.

lulu
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi
    Yes you do need a blue badge to park in disable bays, I asked the traffic warden this very question.
    Like Elaine said you can apply from your local council, you have to fill in the forms and they will contact your gp, the trouble is you may have to wait a few weeks
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Lulu

I suppose we are all less able from time to time - I think you might be better off getting dropped off at the door at the mo - rather than struggling and missing your appointment.

If that's possible?

Love

Toni xx
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Hi Barbara

Well like i say it differs...Mine was done completely over the phone in about 20 mins, they filled in the form, only asked me about 8 questions.....I got mine within a fortnight...

Elainexx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    (Elaine you were very lucky - it took me months and months to get mine - emailing, phoning, holding on, not getting through, being told they had several months backlog, them having to write to my consultant and wait for him to reply ... some people under my council have had to go to OT assessments too ....)

So good luck. You are entitled - but it might take time and persistance!!

If someone can drop you off as Iris suggests, then that is a good plan...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    As the problem is only temporary I think being dropped off near the door is the answer. In my area BBs take 6 - 8 weeks to be processed. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lululu
    Thanks for all the advice here - Dreamdaisy my mobility issues although I belive are only temporary have now lasted 10 months and are no better yet so I think it may be prudent to try to get a BB.

Thanks again
    lulu
  • dreamdaisy
    Ah, that sort of temporary. Get thee to a photo booth pronto - and ring your local Social Services, they will tell you what to do. Keep a copy of the form that you complete - it may come in handy. I wish you well. DD
  • lululu
    That sound ominous dreamdaisy - you know something?

lulu
  • dreamdaisy
    Experience, hun, experience. If you come into contact with any department of any sort, anywhere, keep meticulous records. They are full of numbskulls who care little about their job and who are not above telling you, the punter, that you haven't done things you KNOW you have. DD
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Yes...apply. I went to my council office about 10 mins away and was given forms to fill in and it took about 2 weeks and that was it.
    Love
    Hileena