long distance travel with anti tnf (enbrel)

dibdeb
dibdeb Member Posts: 2
We are planning a trip to Australia next year and it will be the first one since on enbrel. We have been looking on the internet for some ideas of how to keep the medicine at the required temperature but have not come up with a suitable solution as yet. Does anyone have any information on this.
Deb

Comments

• gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Dibdeb,

I am Australian and travel back from the UK with Enbrel. I make sure I have a letter from the consultant listing all of my meds and stating they must stay with me thoughout the flight.

I use a cool bag that is for syringes and available at medical supply stores. They are often found with diabetic supplies or try online.

Don't put your Enbrel in the hold as the temperature may fluctuate and spoil or your luggage could get lost.

Staff at airports are used to people coming and going with meds and I have had no problems.

I hope you have a great time in Oz! :D

Arna x
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    dibdeb wrote:
    We are planning a trip to Australia next year and it will be the first one since on enbrel. We have been looking on the internet for some ideas of how to keep the medicine at the required temperature but have not come up with a suitable solution as yet. Does anyone have any information on this.
    Deb

Dear Deb

Thank you for your posting on the forum. The information in Arna’s posting describes the process very well for travelling with Enbrel. It is important that you take a letter from your doctor and that the supply is kept at the right temperature both while you are travelling and while you are in Australia.

Also make sure that you take sufficient supplies with you and the phone number of your rheumatology department just in case you need to speak to them while you are away. You can also ask a pharmacist about the appropriate temperature and cool bags that will suit this purpose and for any other advice on travelling with your medication. I hope that this is helpful and that you enjoy your trip.

Best Wishes
    Dawn