Methotrexate and Chickenpox

worriedmum
worriedmum Member Posts: 72
edited 11. Sep 2010, 16:21 in My child has arthritis
Hi All,
Freya has been on MTX for about 8 weeks now, and all going reasonably well with only occasional stomach cramps and a bit fatigued a couple of days after she takes her weekly dose. Decision was made becuase of ongoing joint flares and Eveitis since June. Anyway, she started school on Wednedsay and already has come into contact with a child who has chickpox. The school were great and alerted us as soon as they knew but now we have contacted the hospital and are waiting to hear whether they need to give her antivirals. They are going to test some blood from tuesday when she had a joint injection and see if she has any immunity. they did test it before she started MTX but there was a problem with the test because of her antibodies or something! Anyway, they said if she gets spots or gets sick at all over the next 10 days to take her straight to A&E.
Also, while the doc was talking about this plan of action, which will be confirmed on Monday, she mentioned that her haemoglobin was down and getting lower on the last two months blood tests. Not really sure what this means. Anyone had any experience of MTX and chickpox or lower HB with MTX? I'd appreciate any advice or experience. Hope you and your families are well.

Thanks
Sam.

Comments

• snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sam I have R/A and I am on MTX, I'm 42 but last year I came into contact with someone with chicken pox the doctor did a blood test and found I was immune. It might be a good idea to post this on the medical thread as they will be able to give you more advice. Will keep my fingers crossed that she doesn't get it.

Jules
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    snowball wrote:
    Hi Sam I have R/A and I am on MTX, I'm 42 but last year I came into contact with someone with chicken pox the doctor did a blood test and found I was immune. It might be a good idea to post this on the medical thread as they will be able to give you more advice. Will keep my fingers crossed that she doesn't get it.

Jules

I mean post on the helpline team :oops:

Jules
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • illihor
    illihor Member Posts: 283
    My daughter has already had chicken pox so this isn't something I have to worry about as her bloods came back ok for that, but still got to be weary or something. I hope she's ok hugs.

As for low HB my daughter also has this but they just say it's ok it's a bit low but nothing to worry about. I don't really want her on iron tablets/supplements anyway as she gets very bad belly aches and is on omeprazole and movicol to help ease the symptons of belly ache and very hard ermm bowel movements (sorry tmi) so that might be why they are holding off and i guess it's not gotten too low for them to worry about.

Does she eat well, can you help her diet with extra iron rich foods at all this might be all she needs and might help her not to feel so tired.
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Hi Sue

I can't advise about the chickenpox, but I was told that inflammatory arthritis causes low haemaglobin.

I have RA and am prone to lowish-HB (I am on methotrex) and I take a liquid iron supplement called Floradix/floravital. It doesn't cause constipation. It is expensive though (about £9 a bottle). I first started taking it a couple of years ago when I read that a female athlete (can't remember her name) took it and had all her family on it. I get it from my chemist, but you can get it from most health shops..

Hope everythign works out Ok for Freya..

Marion x
  • anniesmum
    anniesmum Member Posts: 102
    Hi - Annie is not immune to chickenpox and one of her good friends had it early this year. At the time Annie was not on mtx but only on pred - we had to give her a special medicine (can't remember name, sorry) to lessen the effects if she did get chicken pox because people on immune suppressants will get a very nasty dose apparently. I am obviously still concerned about her risk with chicken pox but the Rhemy thinks she may have immunity but it didnt show up on blood test results as she has been in contact before JIA witha number of children with it and never got it herself??? He did also say that when (if) Annie can get by just on the mtx the risk of a bad dose of chicken pox is not as high. Typically if she did get chickenpox while on these drugs and if she ever did come off them Annie still wouldn't have immunity because of the immune suppressants. Cruel.
  • worriedmum
    worriedmum Member Posts: 72
    Thanks to all of you who replied.
    The plan is to give her the Immunoglobulin Varicella shot on monday as her blood test revealed she has no immunity to chickpox.
    Will also be able to ask more about the low Hb and in the meantime , keeep giving her loads of broccoli, which thankfully she loves!
    Will let you know how we get oon on Monday.
    thanks again all and have a great weekend.
    Sam. x