Enbrel and fever

andylambs
andylambs Member Posts: 71
What temperature counts as a "fever", high enough to skip a weekly Enbrel injection?

My 6 year old daughter has a sore throat, snotty nose and is running a low grade fever. Her temperature is around 101 degrees F. Should we give her this week's injection or not?

Thanks,
Andy

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi andylambs, I'm sorry to hear that Phillippa is unwell - I hope she feels better soon. I was told when I started enbrel (and then humira) that any temperature above normal indicated the presence of an infection and therefore not to have that drug or any meth that I was on. To me a temp of 101 sounds high, but I'm not a doc. I can tell you tho that I would not do my humira, and neither would my hospital give me meth with that temp. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi andylambs

I agree with DD... any signs of infection such as hight temp, runny nose, sore throat should be taken seriously while Philippa is on any of the anti tnfs & mtx... as they often compromise the body's immune system.

Delaying injecting the Enbrel until you seek advice from your doc.... or better still rheummy ....is a wise precaution.!

Let us know how Philippa is please? and what advice you get from rheummy tomorrow.

Iris xxx
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    andylambs wrote:
    What temperature counts as a "fever", high enough to skip a weekly Enbrel injection?

My 6 year old daughter has a sore throat, snotty nose and is running a low grade fever. Her temperature is around 101 degrees F. Should we give her this week's injection or not?

Thanks,
    Andy

Hi Andy

As we are not medical we are not allowed to advise you on this. I would suggest you take her to the doctor as soon as possible or ring the rheumatology department for medical advice on what to do.

Best wishes

Simona
  • andylambs
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'm going to call the hospital in the morning. I haven't done the injection which was due yesterday, but she seems to be throwing off the cold. Her temp was nearly back to normal at bedtime and she's just snotty now. Fingers crossed she wakes up feeling fine.

Thanks again,
    Andy
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Nothing worse than the snotty phase! I'm glad to her she is brighter, that is a good thing! Check with the docs, anyway, about when she can have her next dose. Mine was twice a week, is it the same for Phillippa? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • andylambs
    Philippa has just one injection a week (thank goodness).

I spoke to the hospital today, as soon as I'm happy that's she's back to normal I need to do the injection. That wasn't today, she's still snotty and very down, no fever though. Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Andy
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi andy :D

glad you asked/ were given advice by the rheummys.. at least now you know for sure what to do about the injection. :wink:

hope Philippa can shake off the cold and will soon feel better. :D

Iris xx