fit note/sick note

speedalong
speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
Hi,

Following union advice I went to see my GP today about getting a fit note in preparation for my return to work after half term.

The union recommended getting the note sorted, so that my phased return, adaptions and restrictions were listed and in place before I returned. They said I should send it to my head along with a letter saying I was willing to attend Occy health ...

Unfortunately it was a GP who is covering another great GP who is off on longterm sick ... and this cover GP messed up over my BB application ... said she'd write a letter .... and when I went to collect it, denied all knowlege of the conversation ... so I don't exactly have confidence in her.

She looked at my list of adaptions and restrictions, based on my knowledge of the job and said there were too many for the form... she wanted to put down what I could do instead. I explained that was no good as my head had no idea about hip operations and so on. So she started to condense everything ... then got to the end and said she had to date it today or post date it ... I explained that was no good as the consultant said at end of Aug I needed two more months and the whole point of coming early was on union advice so everything was in place ready for my return.

She then decided to write a letter instead, which I have to collect in 4 or 5 days ... I don't really trust her now and feel no further forward. I'm worried about what she is going to put ... unlike established GPs at the surgery she doesn't know me at all.

Speedy
I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.

Comments

• markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi,

Following union advice I went to see my GP today about getting a fit note in preparation for my return to work after half term.

The union recommended getting the note sorted, so that my phased return, adaptions and restrictions were listed and in place before I returned. They said I should send it to my head along with a letter saying I was willing to attend Occy health ...

Unfortunately it was a GP who is covering another great GP who is off on longterm sick ... and this cover GP messed up over my BB application ... said she'd write a letter .... and when I went to collect it, denied all knowlege of the conversation ... so I don't exactly have confidence in her.

She looked at my list of adaptions and restrictions, based on my knowledge of the job and said there were too many for the form... she wanted to put down what I could do instead. I explained that was no good as my head had no idea about hip operations and so on. So she started to condense everything ... then got to the end and said she had to date it today or post date it ... I explained that was no good as the consultant said at end of Aug I needed two more months and the whole point of coming early was on union advice so everything was in place ready for my return.

She then decided to write a letter instead, which I have to collect in 4 or 5 days ... I don't really trust her now and feel no further forward. I'm worried about what she is going to put ... unlike established GPs at the surgery she doesn't know me at all.

Speedy

Tread very carefully with this one Speedy.Get some good advice besides your unions.This could be the start of some real problems for you.Take it from one who knows. :cry:
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Hi Speedy = I can appreciate why you're worried.. Can you speak to the Union rep again and get some more advice - in the light of today's GP appointment? Her letter might be OK, but it might not ...

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this 'fit note' process so I'm not much help with this..

Marion x
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    YOu might be better not handing in her letter depending what it says and waiting until your own GP is back and discuss it with him/her. As has been said be very careful what you have in writing and assumptions of what you can and cannot do. You will need to be fully involved in any decision as to what you are able to do.
    Good luck. rita
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Hi Speedy
    When I got my last sick note from my GP he gave me another 4 weeks off and put on the list of restrictions ready for my return, so that my manager could speak to HR and organise the rotas. Although I am not having anything else put onto place other then altered hours and no lifting etc. How long has your GP been giving you sick notes for has it been for the 4 weeks at a time, if so I think that they can only put the restriction on the last one they give you.
    They can only back date a sick note they cant post date it so that probably what she meant.
    Denise
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi speedy ,

ooh err... I think the union's advice is wrong and the doc is right.

Unless I've misunderstood...

You should not be asking your doc for a FINAL Fit Note in advance of knowing when your consultant says you're ready to return to work.

Fit Notes are not designed to go into the absolute specifics of aids and adaptations that you might need but .....when the time comes....the doc can and should put that you have a significant condition and recommend that your employer get Occy Health to assess your needs for adaptations, phased return and Risk assessment. (whether your job is suited to your needs.....or places you at risk...those small chairs again!)
    I've posted you a link which explains all about fit notes...and is written from a legal perspective, which in fact is very helpful to know!
    http://www.maceandjones.co.uk/news/archive/fit-notes-in-the-spotlight.html

I still think that your employer (Occy Health) can start the process before the actual return date. You could phone Occy Health and say you 'expect' to be able to return to work in 2 months.. whatever, but that you need them to assess your needs (DDA again) as you may need a phased return and adaptations.

Access to Work too will become involved in assessing aids and support needs... but they require a start date.

Please do not do what I did... ask the doc for a start date so that it would prompt everyone into action. It was a big mistake for me as my employers and dwp made an absolute hash of it and I ended up back at work before anything was in place... and then fighting with my employers and dwp because of it...and going off work again.

Take measured approach speedy. Speak to Occy Health and see what they are willing to do... they should see you and start the assessment process so that things are in place before you go back. Once that's in motion ask the consultant when he thinks you can go back to work... then ask for the fit note listing that you have a disability and require aids and adaptations and phased return. Access to Work (DEA Adviser) can then assist both you and your employer.

The letter from the doc might be helpful.... depending on what it says!

Iris xxx
  • speedalong
    Thanks Iris for your info, informative as ever.

I finally managed to obtain the docs letter - which I opened -as it had been placed in a sealed envelope - umm excuse me - it is about ME!!

It was ok, although she clearly struggles a little with written English. So have sent it off with brief note to my boss, explaining had been to see consultant, GP and about physio. That I'd like plans in place for my return and about involving OH. So now it is up to him ... If don't hear in a week, I'll have to ring him and chase things up.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Sounds like progress Speedy. It feels good to be making decisions does'nt it. Hope you get a positive response.
    take good care rita
  • speedalong
    Thanks Rita, will let you know if/when he gets in touch.

Speedy