Tramadol query again?

wendgro
wendgro Member Posts: 296
edited 26. Sep 2010, 09:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone another question about Tramadol. I take 1 50mg of Tramadol with 2 paracetamol 4 times a day. My GP hasn't said come off the Tramadol but vary the dose each day so that my body doesn't get used to it. However how do you manage pain I also take 60mg of Amytryptilline at night as well. I manage my pain well on these doses but leave the Tramadol off to juggle the dose just doesn't work any suggestions

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi wendgro :D

Your doc is understandably cautious and doesn't want you to develop a dependence on Tramadol...... however if you are in pain then that needs to be the priority!

speak again to your doc and tell him that the current pain med regime isn't keeping the pain at bay and you need his advice/ meds review.

we are all individual and what works for one doesn't necessarily suit someone else and we certainly shouldn't self medicate.... but nor should you be expected to experience such continuous pain....so you need to see the doc again.

I take 2x 50mgs of Tramadol twice a day and co-dydramol 2x 10/500 twice, and Amatriptyline 50mgs at night... but that was on my rheummy/ docs advice.

none of us wants to take these drugs :roll: but are driven by necessity. :|

Iris xxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I was on tramadol....2 x4 times a day when I came out of hospital after my THR.....at my 6 weeks appt with the consultant he said right come off the tramadol....all at once...not lessen them???? I could have done with less but not coming off them all.
    At the moment I'm on paracetamol, and doclofenic 75 at night to stop me waking up with pain....in between times I'm either taking a couple of ibroprufon or codeine....I'm waiting to see consultant again to see if he is going to do my 2nd THR on Fri week or an op on my back so I'll sort pain killers out with him then.
    They are addictive but we have to take these tablets sometimes
    Love
    Hileena
  • wendgro
    wendgro Member Posts: 296
    Unfortunately a lot of pain killers can't be taken if you are on blood pressure medication Ibuprofen is one diclifenac another just had a ful blood test again don't know wat if anything that will reveal
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Wendy,

Its a balancing act this medication thing but you mustn't be in pain cus that wont help the bp either.

I have tramadol as and when and though my dose is 2x 50 four times a day I normally get by with 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening.... if its really bad or actually in my case I know I have to do something to hurt or jar the spine I do take the other 2 doses.

I wonder if you could ask the gp for a meds review? I know its hard with other tablets to balance it all but I do hate to think of people in pain.

When do you see you gp again? I just think a meds review might be useful. tell him your not getting as much pain relief as you would like and labour how its impacting on your life and see if he can help? I don't know if you see a consultant but if you do maybe they can come up with a pain plan for you? Don;t be in pain Flower. Cris x