Migraines & RA? Related?

sunnyhours
sunnyhours Member Posts: 151
edited 27. Sep 2010, 14:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've had migraines since I'm 13 years old and also already at that age I had pain in my knees...I was thinking that since both Migraines and Rheumatoid arthritis are inflammatory problems maybe they'd be related...
Has any of you ever heard of any relation to each other.
Could it be a symptom?
Does any of you ever had regular migraines, or has migraines once in a while...
Thank you,
SunnyHours.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I used to get migraines which started in my childhood and carried on through my life. Years ago I received medication via the gp to take as soon as symptoms started . Whenever I get the beginnings of a headache or migraine I do not wait to find out what it will turn out to be and take a tablet. This medication has been my saviour. I have OA.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi sunnyhours :D

I've never suffered from migraines but my twin sister has since 'our' teens.
    My sis takes prescribed meds from the doc as soon as the symptom starts and that prevents it from becoming the full blown migraine (think it must be the same as Elna's)

Have you discussed it with your doc? this is a nasty condition and if there are meds out there that can help, it would be great if you could take them and avoid the worst of a severe migraine. :?: :wink:

Iris xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi I have migraine and have always had migraine - I knwo a few others on here too because they have helped me. (when my eldest daughter - 15 had a hemiplegic migraine in June).

I had a four day one not long ago.

Got a book which said that they can increase in frequency with AGE!!!! :(

amitriptyline (if you take it for your arthritis) can act as a preventer.

My daughter is now taking beta blockers to prevent hers.

I sincerely hope there is no connection for her sake, but wonder if the link is the effects of pain?

Love

Toni xx
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    I have PsA and get migraines about 4-5 times a month! I was given amytriptaline to prevent them but is doesn't work. I take Imigran when one starts and provided I take it soon enough it stops them getting worse.

I should point out thou that I have a rare form of migraine associated with a blood disorder. I don't think it has anything to do with PsA but you never know as my blood problems are also autoimmune.

If they're a problem speak to your Dr about preventatives and what to take to stop them once they've started. You might also need to review your medications. I hope you feel better soon. xx
  • sunnyhours
    sunnyhours Member Posts: 151
    I take Amitriptyline to help me get to sleep but I know it's supposed to help migraines as well...
    I don't get much help from the Triptans (class of drug just for migraine abortion)
    And the migraines made me "immune" to NSAIDs...they seem to give me a migraine when I take them now...
    With this thread I was hoping to see tons of people with Rheumatoid Arthritis having migraines as well...however, so far it seems I'm one of the few cursed with both those painful conditions...
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 27. Sep 2010, 06:28
    There may well be tons of people similarly afflicted sunnyhours, but they don't know about the forums! I am sorry we have provided such a poor sample for you :D and I am sorry that you also have this to deal with. It's another whammy which just ain't wanted. It is difficult to know what to advise as your medical system in Canada is different to ours and I don't know much about it. Do you have any idea what can trigger your migraines? Do they co-incide with an arthritis flare? HAve you kept a diary of both problems to see if there is any link? If not, it might be a worth-while deed, it will give you some feedback, and your doctors too. Oh, another thought: if one stick isn't enough, use two, that way both sides are supported and you are not placing extra strain on either hip etc. Think double dose of House! Apart from your ongoing travails, I hope you are basically OK sunny: keep in touch. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Hello

I have SLE ( a form of Lupus) and Polyarthritis.

I suffered from terrible migraines from 4yrs old until late teens. Now I get them every so often.

Through researching Lupus I have found out that many Lupus sufferers had migraines when they were younger and that it is now an indicator to diagnosing SLE.

Hope this helps.

Carol
  • lizzie7ne
    lizzie7ne Member Posts: 154
    hi I have had migraines since age 13, was diagnosed with RA age 53, the migraines were particularly worse just before RAdiagnosis but went back to their usual pattern once treated for RA.

lizzie
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    I have waking headaches which my GP classes as migraines because they can make me vomit - mine have increased with the onset of the menopause and during July I had them 18 days out of 31..... fortunately I seem to be getting fewer of late. I have RA but also take Mtx so I really don't know what's causing what and neither does my GP at the mo. :?

Sorry if I confused the issue :roll:

Luv Legs :|
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have just heard on the news that there is a faulty gene link with migraine sufferers, but I don't know any details. Sorry. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben