appointment help

lilylou
lilylou Member Posts: 15
edited 27. Sep 2010, 11:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi all.

my gp appointment is this week. i know i will get flustered when trying to explain and remember everything i need to say :oops:

you all advised i write a list. Do i just need to write symtoms or do i have to be more detailed i.e pain, how long symptoms last etc.

i dont want to look like a dramaqueen with a list of ailments but now ive decided to tackle this problem i dont want to lose the chance to get things sorted.

your advice and help would be appreciated.

thankyou.

lilylou :)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Supply all the information you can, it gives the best picture and then all they have to do is read and ask questions. List what hurts and when, what sets things off, tiredness levels, pain levels and how they vary, whether certain foods seem to make things worse, when you feel better, how stiff you are in the mornings, etc etc etc. Good luck. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lilylou
    lilylou Member Posts: 15
    thankyou dreamdaisy :)

should i pass the list to gp or just say ive written a list and read it to her and explain anything she questions.

im dreading the appointment now, for some reason i always feel im wasting g.p's time, dont know why i feel like that, seen as though i havent seen a g.p since joining the practice last july :roll: But i do :roll:

thanks again.

lilylou :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Go in, sit down, announce that you have written a list as there are too many things to remember and ask if he/she wants it. If they do, hand it over, if not, go thro it item by item yourself. Responses vary from doctor to doctor. You are there because you have to be, because you have a problem that needs investigating. Be firm, and polite and don't leave until you feel you have been listened too. Good luck, I am sure it will all be fine. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi DD is right.

If you remember the average appt is 10 minutes you know not to go on forever.

Your list should be relevant clear and concise.

Eg I have had hip pain for 4 months it hurt when I ...

I am finding it hard to climb stars drive my car.

I have tried the following myself e.g paracetamol, heat pads etc etc.

They respond well if you are efficient as i think they have to be :(

Good luck

Love

Toni xx