OUCH!!!

Options
kerrycc
kerrycc Member Posts: 89
edited 27. Sep 2010, 14:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone
I went back to the gym yesterday, to a pilates class. It was great! (apart from the very rude insturctor girl who needs lessons in people skills!, she told me that perhaps I shouldnt be there because of my 'wrist problems'!!' I was very upset but did the class non the less and really enjoyed it. However, today I was walking with my daughter through the supermarket when my leg gave way!! How embarrassing. Anyway, its the out side of my upper right thigh. My husband says sciatica which I do get from time to time, but my buttock doesn't hurt at all! What do you think? Sciatica or something else.......... xxxxxx

Comments

• ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kerry,
    Difficult one to pin point. I would think that you have over done it and maybe stretch a little to far. See how it is tomorrow because you will know yourself if it is the old problem causing it.
    Do not let the instructor put you off going again. It will have been good to join in the class and have some time for yourself.

Lv, Ix
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Kerry,

Oh I know that one... and its really embarrassing. I think , as Ironic said, is hard to say for sure. I technically don't have sciatica but I do have nerve root damage at S1 and S2 (bit at L3,4 and 5 as well) and they are what takes my legs from time to time....

Two things don't let the instructor put you off as good muscle tone really helps and two if its still there in the morn and hasn't eased at all maybe you should talk to your gp? I really hope it will settle soon. Cris x
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Kerry

I was mis-diagnosed about 10 years ago by a former GP who had me treated for sciatica. The results for the xrays showed that I had OA but nobody had given me the results so I went untreated for nearly 7 years. It was only a change of home and GP that found that error but by that time I had full blown OA in my knees. I've since had one total knee replacement surgery and will be having another one early next year.

Get it checked out by your GP if you're worried. Some of the signs of arthritis are pain, discomfort difficulty in walking and stiffness. I used to get really stiff after sitting or standing in one place too long. My knees would 'go' when I was out walking.

It could well be sciatica but you'll have to see your GP. Do you have arthritis in your hands too? so do I - worse lucky!!!

Take care and continue with your pilates class if you enjoy it. I would love to do something like that but with my troublesome knees I don't know if I would cope.

Regards
    Sharmaine
    XX

kerrycc wrote:
    Hello everyone
    I went back to the gym yesterday, to a pilates class. It was great! (apart from the very rude insturctor girl who needs lessons in people skills!, she told me that perhaps I shouldnt be there because of my 'wrist problems'!!' I was very upset but did the class non the less and really enjoyed it. However, today I was walking with my daughter through the supermarket when my leg gave way!! How embarrassing. Anyway, its the out side of my upper right thigh. My husband says sciatica which I do get from time to time, but my buttock doesn't hurt at all! What do you think? Sciatica or something else.......... xxxxxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Hiya

so glad you enjoyed your class.

You keep going and show her (leg permitting)

I dont get sciatica on teh outside either :(

get it checked - wisest course of action I think inacse the class set something off.

Love

Toni xx
  • kerrycc
    kerrycc Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Well it seems to have eased off today - I am going to risk an aqua pilates class tomorrow so i'll let you know how I get on. I'm joining the gym too so i'm going to try to build up some muscle while I can and try to protect my joints as much as my body will permit.
    I do have it in my hands too - both of them so I do find I cannot do some of the exercises, but I think the point is, at least I try! Who the hell does the instructor think she is telling me what I can and cannot attend. Does it really matter if I sit part of the class out? At least i'm giving it a go - I know my body and will only do what I can - rant over :D xxxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Kerry
    Dont over do it.....but it does sound like that....see what your like after your aqua class
    And dont let that instructor put you off....well done you! :wink:

Love

Hileena