Any self-help advice?

sillyswede
sillyswede Member Posts: 47
edited 4. Oct 2010, 15:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Evening all.

Gastritis has come back with a vengeance over the weekend. Have been on Omeprazole for a few weeks, which seemed to be helping initially but in the last week it was creeping back in. However, ran out on Friday and here I am; really bad stomach pains, bloating, loss of appetite and everything else that comes with it. Does anyone have ANY tips of things to eat/avoid?

SS xx

Comments

• stlucia
    stlucia Member Posts: 392
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You poor thing. Big hugs. I don't suppose hot chocolate or milk would help? Try and get to the Dr in the morning?
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    This is rather an individual thing, I've found. I've had chronic gastritis for years but it's been under control for the last 4 years. As I also have a hiatus hernia things do get a bit confused at times, and the arthritis meds don't help.

I find I have to limit the carbs (I'm also diabetic and the nurse doesn't like this; however, it seems to improve the diabetes rather than make it worse) and the sugar of course.

I found oats - porridge or home made flapjacks to be the best thing for me. After a search I also found some oat bread and ate that for a long time.

As the hernia doesn't like a lot of green veg my diet can be a bit restricted at times. I was lucky enough to be referred to a nutritionist who advised me regarding supplements when it was really bad. Since I saw her, after following her instructions for 6 months I was better than I had been in years.

You could also try asking your doc for lansoprazole. Omeprazole made things 10 times worse for me, but lansoprazole worked a treat and I now take it just once a day.

Annie
  • sillyswede
    Thank you both. St Lucia, not sure dairy products are great really with upset stomachs, but I'd love one!!! :)

Annie, thank you. Had a bout of it last year, stopped taking Ibuprofen and it slowly healed on it's own. This summer I've been on both Diklofenac and Naproxen, hence I'm having these troubles now...

Diet is pretty good generally. Low fat, high fibre etc (mind you, could increase the fruit intake). Otherwise I haven't found anything in particular that makes it better, so will have to try the oats - thanks! :)

Will give my GP a ring in the morning and request Lansoprazole. I'll try anything right now...!!! x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi SS,

I have IBD and maybe the foods to 'avoid' are similar? Its a bit individual to a point but most greens, pasta, rice, mushrooms, tomatoes, whole meal infact most things nice are likely to spark it if its active at all.

You do need to get some medical help though flower cus this one isn't right and you need a bit of help.

There is some good info about food on the NACC site but I think you really should go see your gp as they maybe able to hep you get it calmed back down. Sending you a ((( ))) and with luck its a lot better now? Keep us posted please? Cris x
  • stlucia
    I hope you can get seen by the doctor tomorrow. Shame about the dairy, I thought that it might be soothing! Goes to show i know nothing!!

X
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello sillyswede, I hope things are feeling better today. I have no idea about this but I think a trip to the doc may be in order to discuss diet and other stomach protectors. Take care. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Hi
    I swear by andrews liver salts. Some medications you shouldnt mix this with, check your medss pamphlet. it has helped me recently.
  • bailey27
    Also sweet potatoes do wonder for me. gives you energy without all the unnecessary starchy carbs.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Swedey

How are you doing today? Did you manage to get your meds?

Love

Toni xx
  • sillyswede
    Hi again everyone.

Went to the doc's this morning and have now started Lansoprazole. Was given Gaviscon Advance aswell. Been told to keep meals bland, small and frequent, and avoid coffee and tea ( :( ).

I just burst into tears when I was there. Feel so fed up with sore joints that are just getting worse, and bad stomach. She advised me to stay off work for 7-10 days to make sure it settles, but I can't really afford to do that, so off for a few days still.

Wolverhampton Rheumy appointment on Monday, and feeling apprehensive about that. I'm worried I'll be told once again that they won't treat it, but I will do my best to speak up for myself and get my story across. I can't go on like this. Constant pains and aches, tiredness, stomach probs, fatigue, feeling down...

Has anyone on here seen a Dr Dixey? Think he operates around a few hospitals in the midlands.

Thanks to everyone for your advice, and for listening. SS x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi SS,

sorry you're having such a bad time with arther and also your digestive system. :(

I'm glad you got to see the doc and do hope that the new meds will help you.... is there no way you could take just a few more days off to give yourself a chance to recover from the gastritis and maybe see you through your rheummy appointment next week. :?:

It is very understandable to feel weepy so don't be hard on yourself for feeling the way you do.. and for showing it! we all need to release our frustration and upset when living with this chronic condition. :wink:

write down your list of questions for rheummy next week and a wee summary of how your joints have been over the last few weeks.... and what you would like the rheummy to do for you! it does help to have that with you... you might not need it... but it's there in case you do.

do you have someone to go with you? I hope you do.

love and strength

Iris xxxx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    That sounds like the way to go....food can be a bit boring for a while, but ginger is usually a good way to spice things up a bit and should also be helpful with the stomach. If you like ginger, a good ginger wine is useful and can be looked on as a bit of a treat.

I've got the Gaviscon, too, but now need to use it only rarely. I have now got a list of things I definitely cannot eat/drink ever, a list of things which I know I will suffer for if I do eat them, but sometimes feel it's worth it, a list of things which I can eat in moderation and a list of things I can stuff my face with!

Hope things improve for you in the next few days and good luck with the Rheumy......I agree with all the tips given for that!

Annie
  • stlucia
    SO glad that you got to the Dr this morning and that they've started you on some meds and given you advice. I really hope that it settles down asap.
    x
  • bailey27
    Been reading through your messages looking for some advice for myself.
    Hope you dont mind me asking but what are the symptoms of gastritis? Just wondering as having a few stomch issues myself recently. Andrews salts work well for me but I'm not suppose to take this with the meds I am on.
  • sillyswede
    Hello again! Just letting you know I've had my second opinion appointment today, and it went much better. I feel heard and takne seriously.
    Doc today did say too he thinks it will clear up on it's own, but recognises that I can't just live with the pain. He's recommended Celecoxib, so will discuss that with my GP. He's also more than willing for me to come for a follow-up, if it doesn't clear in the next couple of months.
    They're also checking my bloods again, for changes in my immune system, anti-nuclear/ANA tests etc. Much happier with today's appointment!! :)
    bailey27 wrote:
    Been reading through your messages looking for some advice for myself.
    Hope you dont mind me asking but what are the symptoms of gastritis? Just wondering as having a few stomch issues myself recently. Andrews salts work well for me but I'm not suppose to take this with the meds I am on.

Hi Bailey! Symptoms of gastritis are pain high up (under the ribs, bloating, diarrhea/constipation, meal-induced discomfort etc. Been taking Lansoprazole for a week now and it's slowly improving! :) Haven't tried Andrews salts, but will look for it - thanks for the tip! Hope your feeling better! :) x
  • Rainbow77
    Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
    Hi

Was thinking about you today as i knew you said that your appt was on a monday. I am glad that your appointment was a lot more constructive and he has recommended a new treatment.

It is also reassuring that he will see you again if things don't improve. Give the tablets a go, but if it does not clear or the pain just gets too much then you need to go back.

Hope you get your script soon

Take care

Fayann xxx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi,
    I am so pleased that you had a good appointment. What a difference it makes when someone listens to you. Perhaps you will be able to relax a little more over the next few days. It’s good that they are doing the bloods again. I hope the gastric settles soon. Fingers crossed for you.
    Hugs,
    Lv, Ix