I have managed to lose a stone

bluebeard
bluebeard Member Posts: 260
edited 1. Oct 2010, 09:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
now firstly I have a mild form of arthritis in the ankle and foot so I know I am not in as much pain as most of you or dont have the mobility problems

but through swimming , cycling , some walking and basically not allowing any rubbish food at all to pass my lips , I have lost weight

if any of you are thinking of doing so , make sure you sort out your eating habits , that wont stop medication or lack of movement from affecting your weight , but it sure helps

best wishes all xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Many congratulations to you bluebeard, have a cream bun as a reward! NO, naughty DD, be serious now: that is a worthy effort and I hope you are reaping the rewards. It is a good thing that you have achieved this and I really hope you can feel the benefit. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    Congratulations bluebeard !! well done loosing 1 stone!
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Well done :D:D:D:D:D

you should be deservedly proud of yourself .... that is such an achievement.

thanks for sharing your good news with us :D

WOnky
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Well done BB. :D:D Cris x
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    well done. No mean feat to lose that much.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Congratulations, great news, you must be very proud of yourself and so you should be! Did this take quite a time to do? I have heard that is the best way to lose weight, slowly but surely. I am one of the lucky ones, if that is what you can call it, that never has to think about it :roll:

Have you reached your goal and if so all the very best in keeping it off.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Bluebeard

Well done yOU!! amazingly well done and looks like you enjoyed it too which is almost MORE important :)

If you have the wear and tear type of arthritis it hAS to help doesn't it?

Love

Toni xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi BB :D

WoW and double WoW :shock: :P :D

that is great! I would dealry love to lose a stone (or 2 :oops: ) so you've given me the encouragement I need to get me going.

thanks BB.... lovely to see you posting too. :wink: (our paths haven't crossed recently..have they :? or has the 'forgetfulness' finally caught up with me? :roll: )

Iris xxxx :mrgreen:
  • kerrycc
    kerrycc Member Posts: 89
    That's absolutely brilliant! 1 stone - wow! Did you follow a diet plan or just 'cut the crap'? I'm not much over weight but could do with losing a bit. If I lost a stone I would be at my ideal but I find it so hard! Just started the gym and pilates so fingers crossed, but I do need to cut down on biscuits and chocolate - naughty me! :D well done you xxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Well done BB.....with me so many things have happened recently I have turned to comfort eating every now and then....not massivly over weight but would like to lose about half a stone

Love
    Hileena
  • bluebeard
    thanks all xx

I have done it gradually

swimming , walking and cycling and some light weight training

but I have to say the diet has been the key ..I simply wont eat takeaways ( unless its healthy like stir fried stuff and rice ..not friend rice ) , chips , curries , chocolate , crisps , pies , burgers , anything fatty is banned from my gob

loads of fruit, always have a healthy breakfast ( bran flakes or porridge , with brown bread toast and marmalade ) , chicken , fish , cous cous , salads , vegetarian mince from tescos for spag bol , chillis etc , brown rice

I feel like a rabbit

good luck xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Well that sounds a really ok sort of diet Bluebeard.

Sounds like you are inspiring some of us!

hey maybe you can start a diet thread with recipes :wink:

I reamain totally impressed :)

Love

Toni xx
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    It all sounds good, is it all carrying on? I seem to have got stuck after losing about a stone over 2 months, I've been the same weight for a few weeks now without any more movement downwards.

I'm still toying with the idea of an electric bike, thinking that any extra exercise is better and at least i could still get home again.

Heart is still thumping away with high BP and doesn't seem to want to slow down. Must go and do something.......cuppa tea first.

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hi Bluebeard (or should I say Rabbit!)

Just to add my congratulations too on your success. You should be very proud of what you have achieved!

Love Tilly xx
  • kerrycc
    kerrycc Member Posts: 89
    xxBluebeard you must have got some serious will power there! Well done - I feel inspired - if you can, I can! :D xxx
  • bluebeard
    thanks people xx

I have been losing about a pound a week

the advantage I have over SOME of you is that I can still walk a fair distance without being in major pain and am mobile enough to swim and and cycle

I have been doing light weight training which has helped because I got to the point where I wasnt losing anymore ..and the " experts " say a bit of weight training ..and thats as little as just lifting tins of beans above yoour head, out to the side etc and curling for your biceps ..has helped

I still have my man boobs and love handles to an extent but I have lost a lot of weight off my face ..for us blokes these are the last places to go

I strongly suggest a diet high in fruit , lean meat like chicken and ham , lots of salad

I am afraid there is no place for chips , chocolate , crisps
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Wow - 1 stone that is good. Now you just have to maintain it! Sounds like your healthy eating and exercise have paid off.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    Brilliant! Well done you!

Im struggling but not really through lack of movement, all sorts of cr*ppy things are going on with my thyroids at the mo so Im eating well just not losing it :roll:

It must be a real inspiration to keep going, good for you :D
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Hi
    Well done you. I wish that I could lose some, I do eat healthy and I think I dont over eat, but obviously I do because I never lose any, its a great feeling when you lose the weight and drop a dress size.
    Keep up the good work
    We should all do it together, how about we start a weight diary and log on once a week with how much we have lost, we dont need to tell the weight we are just how much we lost in the previous week.
    Who is up for that???
    Denise
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Great job, Bluebeard! :mrgreen:

I've lost 2st 10lbs since January. It's been slow though. I wish I could exercise a bit more but I have been trying to walk as much as I can, pain allowing.
  • lynnhb
    lynnhb Member Posts: 62
    Congratulations Bluebeard on your weight loss x
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Well done. That's a huge achievement with arthur in tow.

I lost over 4st last year through ill health and I have benefited so much from it. My silver lining! I now no longer walk with a stick and on my good days can even kick a ball around the garden with my daughter.

I've just been on holiday so I have to lose the holiday weight now!! :)

Once again, well done. :D
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    I don't eat all that bad stuff anyrate, I've just had lunch, a small tin of sardines on six dry jac hobbs biscuits, an apple and a squash drink. I awarded myself a slice of toast and an egg on top for a feelgood factor of 10 this morning! I reckon I have another stone to go till I can relax.

We cook our food from fresh ingredients, lots of fish, veg and fruit, never a lot of meat and still I don't lose weight, ggrrrrrr! Oh for a slice of toast with homemade jam on......

My new electric bike arrives on Monday so a touch more exercise might help? Town twice or maybe three times a week?

8) Its a grin, honest!