Scared

joleen
joleen Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Sep 2010, 18:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Going to see consultant about a Hip Replacement. Really scared about the surgery. I have cancelled once already. Please can anyone help me overcome these feelings.

Comments

• kerrycc
    kerrycc Member Posts: 89
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think you need to concentrate on the positives that this op will eventually bring. You are obviously struggling now with the hip so think how good it could be after?

I bet there isnt one person out there who isn't a bit scared of having surgery - its a scary thing, and a big thing so there's nothing wrong with the feelings you are having.

Have a chat to the surgeon - he may be able to make you feel a bit better about it too :) xxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Joleen,

I think Kerry is right and try to concentrate on the positives the hip replacement will bring.

Its normal to be scared, any surgery is frightening. I haven't had a thr cus I dodged the list but mine is slightly more complicated cus I have a totally knackered spine.

There are so many people here who have had it done and I am sure they will be able to help you with questions and fears. Keep posting Joleen cus this lot are so good at helping. Nice to meet you :D Cris x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi joleen
    Welcome to my club, mine should have been done at least 18 months ago, I am scared witless, so you are not on your own.
    There are lots of people on here that have had the op, and reading there post is getting me there, they tell you the good and the bad, but what comes through is the positivity of them.
    Its normal to be scared, we wouldn't be human, I shall keep you in mind, and let you know when they get me in, and you do the same.
    I can just here us now, wished I had done this earlier :)
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi joleen and welcome to the forum :D

I've not had THR but have had other ortho surgery and yes I get anxious about it each time... it's a natural part of the body and mind's preparation.
    Weighing up the benefits and what is likely to happen if I don't have the surgery has helped me to make the decision to go ahead each time... :wink:

when are you seeing the surgeon again? have you spoken to him about what it is about the op that scares you most? He and his team will have helped others who've had the same fears and anxieties and will want to support you in any way they can.

there are lots of peeps here on the forum who have had a THR and I'm sure will be a great help to you in chatting it through and answering questions you might have.

we'll be with you too joleen. :wink:

Iris xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Concentrate on the positives - like all good things in life they will come with effort on your part and (unfortunately) with some pain along the way, but the benefits far outweigh the negatives. It is your quality of life at stake: a few uncomfortable weeks and then you could be a new woman. How fabulous is that possibility? Surgery is a scary thought, but personally I have always welcomed it, 'cos I know it is intended to make things better and I get general anaesthetic, the best pain relief ever. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    i had a thr last july and was terrified but fed up with the pain and trying to cope with my 3 children. i am so glad i had it done. having said that i am still nervous about having the next thr and am avoiding the possibility until mentally ready.
    it is never easy.

elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Hi Joleen

I had a hip replacement last May (2010) and, like you, I was very very nervous beforehand, such that I was on the point of cancelling it a few weeks before!!

I am so pleased that I went ahead and had it done. The severe pain I used to get in my old hip has now gone and I no longer need to use 2 walking sticks to get around!!

I wouldn't hesitate to have my other hip done in the future if necessary.

Marion
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I had a thr done last Feb and was scared and on here askingloads of questions. Its normal.
    Any questions you want answered I'm sure the hippies will help you out LOL :lol:
    Just ask ask ask....My 2nd ine has just been canceleed

love
    Hileena
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Joleen

They do thousands of these operations ever day around the country. I agree that you should focus on the positives. I know quite a few people who have found that having a hip replacement has made their lives so much better. I was pretty scared myself about going for a TKR. I was in a wheelchair up until I had my operation and now I'm walking about without any aids. I'll be having the other knee done in the new year.

Just think about your quality of life and it should help to reduce a lot of problems such as pain and discomfort.

I'm sure you have nothing to be scared of.

Regards
    Sharmaine

joleen wrote:
    Going to see consultant about a Hip Replacement. Really scared about the surgery. I have cancelled once already. Please can anyone help me overcome these feelings.