Back at work

denpen
denpen Member Posts: 389
edited 1. Oct 2010, 16:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I went back to work last week, After 5 months off after THR I only worked 12 hrs but it was over 4 days, Thurs 3hrs, Fri 3hrs, Sat 2hrs, Sun 4 hrs, by Sat I was sore but by Sunday night I was VERY sore. My next shift was to be Wed but boss rang me last night and asked me to swap to Friday instead, I am so glad she did it will give me more time to rest. They have amended my hrs for a few weeks to ease me back into it and I am really grateful that my GP asked them to do it.
I thought that I had been pushing it having 5 months off, but I now think that maybe I should have had longer off. (Oh by the way I work in a shop).
Denise

Comments

• nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 28. Sep 2010, 12:19
    Hi Denise
    Well done on going back. It will take time to get back to speed, so you are doing the right thing with the phased return. I`m glad you have a rest before your next shift.
    Pre op and whilst you have been recovering your muscles haven`t been working as well as the can, so it will take time to get used to using them at work again. Keep your boss informed of how you are coping with the return and if there is anything else you need them to do to make things easier and better for you at work.
    Have a well earned rest xx
    NB
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Denise
    Well done for getting through your first week back at work - particularly as you work i a job where you are on your feet all day. Glad that your GP supported you in a phased return to work too.

Hopefully you can make the most of today, tomorrow and Thursday to rest up ready for going back on Friday.

Love Tilly x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Denise
    You have done so well, know wonder you are tired, Its your body getting used to being back.
    If it gets to much, see if you can get a bit more time off, hopefully you wont need it.
    Good Luck
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Denise,

Well done! You have given us shadow lurkers something to steer towards :D

Its bound to be a bit hard on the body for a min or two but you will get back into the swing of it and hopefully it wont be long before your fully up to speed again. A big pat on the back for you there, and very well done. Cris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think you have done very well, just remember to rest when you can, and keep the hours as short as you can for the time being - if that is possible. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Hi Denise

I was exhausted when I went back to work after my THR, even though I was only doing 4 hours a day - I used to go straight to bed at 3 30 pm in the afternoon when I got home for the first few weeks.

It does take time to build your strength up again and for your muscles to adjust to the movements you do when you are working...

Glad that you have got an extra couple of days rest before you go in on Friday..

Keep us up to date on how you get on.

Marion x
  • denpen
    Hi Guys
    Thanks for your replies,
    NB - Tell me about the muscles I can feel them in the back of my leg (that is were the physio on my first vistit a millenium ago told me they were weak, and was she right!!!)
    Its not just the muscles in my leg, my hip has been sore, it has been sore to touch since the op and has been worse since the standing for hours in the shop, I suppose its still gets inflamed when I do anything as really its still early days.
    I must admit my boss has been really good when I went back on my first day she asked if I wanted to sit down in the back while we had a brew (normally done standing in the doorway) and she told me I could go home after 2 hrs if I wanted to instead of staying for the 3hrs which I didnt. But having said that I dont normally work with anyone else as its lone working I was only with her because of my first day, so I cant just go home on any other shift.
    I am determined to not let it beat me.
    Denise.x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Your boss does sound understanding, so make sure you accept these early offers of help, they are well-meant and show concern for you. If you cope very well from the start (even tho you might be pushing yourself a little too far) these offers might dry up! Take care, and good luck with your next stint. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Denise....well done getting back to work...especially in a shop where you are on your feet all day
    Take advantage of every little bit of help offered ...you sound as if you have a good boss

Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Denise, make sure you rest up now til Friday. Pity you can't have a perching stool at work. I think you are wise to work reduced hours. Be honest when your boss asks you how you are coping and definitely accept all offers of help. Keep us posted when you can.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi denise

well done you!!

Having said that maybe it WAS a wee bit too soon. Only way to find out though is what you are doing - trying it out.

I hope you are ok by friday, but if not you may hve to have a chat with the doc again :(

Love

Toni xx
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Denise

Just wanted to say hope that tomorrow at work is a bit better for you in terms of suffering afterwards

I went back to work yesterday and I really felt very sore and in pain ++, I've only just recovered, worked 4 hours.

So I'm sure that it'll get better for both of us,

Janie :)
  • speedalong
    Hi Janie, well done for surviving!! Hope you feel less sore and tired after a good rest. Are you doing a phased return?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • janie68
    Hi Speedy

Yes I am on a phased return over 5 weeks then I meet occy health to see how it's been. If it doesn't go well then I'll be retiring fron NHS, if it does then I'll carry on!

Janie
  • speedalong
    Hi Janie,

I'm going to be starting back at work - phased return from beginning of Nov - if everyone involved gets things moving. Can you explain in detail how your phased return is building up over the 5 weeks?

Hope it works out for you.

Speedy
  • janie68
    I am building up to my 3 days a week.

week 1 - 4 hours x 1 day
    week2 - 4 hours x 2 days
    week 3 - 4 hours x 3 days
    week 4 - 5 hours x 3 days
    week 5 - 6 hours x 3 days

then back to 7.5 x 3 days

I hope you get everything sorted in time Speedy, I read t=your thread on working matters. Perhaps he is seeking advice before he replies to your letter?
    Good luck

Janie
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hi Denise - just wanted to say hope you have managed ok at work today.

Hi Janie - well done for surviving yesterday back at work!

Love Tilly xx
  • denpen
    Hi
    I was in work for 3 hrs today after being off since Sunday, but it doesnt get any easier I kept going into the back and trying to sit down, (not allowed really but who cares) but everytime I did someone came into the store, as I work on my own I had to go back into the shop and stand around. At home this afternoon when I drive or walk and especially when I walk upstairs I can feel my joint is sore, surley this isnt right after 5 months to still be like this, my brother and sister have both had replacements but they seem amazed that I am still like this.
    Still on the bright side I dont take any painkillers anymore which is FANTASTIC.
    Denise
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Denise
    Everyone is different....and its so annoying when other people say "I have a friend and they were great afterwards....a new person" :x I used to hate that.
    It'll come......you're using bits of you that you forgot you had LOL

Love
    Hileena
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    HI Denise,

I think you are doing so well getting back to work. Shame that you are not allowed to sit down in the shop. :(
    I do not OA but when I was on my feet all day I found if I wore support tights they really helped. Maybe you are not allowed to use them after the op but as I say they worked for me.

Lv, Ix