Heat Therapy Gloves - a help for arthritic hands?

alarkra
alarkra Member Posts: 213
edited 6. Oct 2010, 06:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey everyone,

It is by chance that yesterday I came across an advertisement in The Telegraph newspaper for some Neoprene Heat Therapy Gloves. They claim to help keep hands warm during the winter, thus keeping them mobile and also increase grip... has anyone tried these or something like it? Do they work? They are fairly inexpensive so I was wondering about investing in some for when it gets colder as my hands cease up in cold temps.

I'd love your thoughts! :D

Comments

• stlucia
    stlucia Member Posts: 392
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've just had a look but have not tried them before but would buy some if other people thought they were good....I'm sure someone will have tried them
    :-)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My mum sent two pairs to me, bless her. They don't work for me 'cos my joints are hot anyway: as hers are cold she doesn't quite get that I have the opposite! They certainly insulate, they do keep things warm, and personally I find them very uncomfortable. Neoprene is a good insulator - it will keep cold things cool, and hot things warm. Now that reminds me of a David Beckham joke about thermos flasks! That's one for chitchat. I hope the new job is going OK alarkra, and my best wishes for the meth melts. I hope they improve - if my memory serves me right you are increasing the meth at some speed and this could be part of the problem. How about smaller increments, so your body has time to adjust? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    Never tried them but Iknow heat helps me.....but you can get little things that you put in your pocket and hold them and they can be hot or cold....sorry not very technical LOL :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    I've wondered whether they are safe to use if you have swollen joints. Surely heating up fluid in joints in not necessarily a good thing? Could it not be problematic if the fluid gets infected and make it worse?
  • toptottie10
    toptottie10 Member Posts: 35
    hi i have a pair of the neoprene gloves and they are brilliant for me I have osteoarthritis, raynauds and fibromyalgia. They maintain the heat in your hands and this helps in making them less achy, i have moderate deformity, they gloves are very flexable. I use mine all the time during the colder weather.
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    I wore a pair on the weekend. My oh sails and I pinched his gloves while we were on the boat. I was frozen with the wind going mad as well. I have to say that they were lovely and warm. Even though I have PsA my hands do get very cold and stiff in the winter. I'm thinking of buying a pair for myself, especially as I'm likely to be out on the water. I just need neoprine trousers and I'll be sorted! :D
  • alarkra
    An interesting insight!! I think that I will see how my hands fair up in the cooler temperatures - if they start to cease up on a regular basis, I may throw caution to the wind and give the gloves a go as my joints don't get hot, they are just constantly swollen!

Thanks for your comments! :D
  • jemima
    jemima Member Posts: 24
    I've looked at these the past and wondered...

Then I read that the batteries only lasted for an hour? Can that bee right? If so, it makes them mighty expensive to use...
  • alarkra
    Hi Jemima,

My understanding is that these gloves are made from a material which insulates the heat your hands make and holds the heat in, therefore keeping them warm. I don't think that you need batteries for these particular ones!

:D
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    My Gran bought me the fingerless ones.

I put them on when using my hands for typing on laptop or pottering around doing housework.

I don't know if they help much but they heat up my hands and give me a nice comforting feeling.