Finally demanded GP does something

patriciamary
patriciamary Member Posts: 117
edited 30. Sep 2010, 12:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone.
Changed my GP because previous one was not helping me at all. They had decided I had chronic fatigue and after a lot of pressure (several years worth) sent me to see a rheumy who xrayed only my hip and said its OA. Got new GP who reviewed my painkillers and put me on co-codomol and tramadol, saw the OT and got some physio. Things have got steadily worse, hands, feet, both hips, shoulder and both knees have now joined the arther club. Everytime I spoke to GP about any of these joints he would say its your arthritis. Im eventually sick fed up of being palmed off with this so saw GP on Monday. I basically stated that I felt I wasnt getting any help at all. GP says its only painkillers for OA or replacement surgery. I said if I chopped my hand off and came to see you I would be told "its your arthritis" so I want the other joints looked at. Seemed to do the trick, because I had xrays on both my knees yesterday (which have been very painfull and causing me to fall) and had blood taken to check the inflamatory factors. They said I was very pale, and this could be caused by pain. Really, I would never have thought that!! So feeling very smug with myself that I have finally stood up to the GP and getting these other joints checked. Ideally I would rather not have joint replacement but if that is what it takes, so be it. Cold damp and not stopped raining today so feeling very sore and stiff but mentally Im on cloud nine.
Regards
Trisha

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi just wanted to say well done great out come hope they get positive responce from it all val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Unfortunately arthritis spreads. It is what it does best. I started with one joint, now have 31 affected. It doesn't matter what form it takes, OA, RA, PA, it spreads. GPs are the ones to treat OA as its root cause is different to the others, but you can be referred, I think, to a rheumatologist. He probably won't say anything different tho! Good for you for standing up to the doc - that takes courage and not everyone can summon that. Brave girl! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Good for you Trisha! Sometimes these medics need a wake up call.
    Let's hope something gets sorted out for you now. You have been patient for long enough.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Trisha
    Well done for standing up to your GP.....They are the ones to treat OA...Pretty sure he's right about painkillers or surgery.
    If its surgery its an Orthopaedic Surgeon you see...Rheumy deals with RA.....I've just had a Hip replacement and have another appointment with him on Sat.
    Once again good for you for standing your ground

Love
    Hileena
  • joanneredshaw
    joanneredshaw Member Posts: 62
    Hi everyone.
    Changed my GP because previous one was not helping me at all. They had decided I had chronic fatigue and after a lot of pressure (several years worth) sent me to see a rheumy who xrayed only my hip and said its OA. Got new GP who reviewed my painkillers and put me on co-codomol and tramadol, saw the OT and got some physio. Things have got steadily worse, hands, feet, both hips, shoulder and both knees have now joined the arther club. Everytime I spoke to GP about any of these joints he would say its your arthritis. Im eventually sick fed up of being palmed off with this so saw GP on Monday. I basically stated that I felt I wasnt getting any help at all. GP says its only painkillers for OA or replacement surgery. I said if I chopped my hand off and came to see you I would be told "its your arthritis" so I want the other joints looked at. Seemed to do the trick, because I had xrays on both my knees yesterday (which have been very painfull and causing me to fall) and had blood taken to check the inflamatory factors. They said I was very pale, and this could be caused by pain. Really, I would never have thought that!! So feeling very smug with myself that I have finally stood up to the GP and getting these other joints checked. Ideally I would rather not have joint replacement but if that is what it takes, so be it. Cold damp and not stopped raining today so feeling very sore and stiff but mentally Im on cloud nine.
    Regards
    Trisha

Just wanted to say well done Trisha!

I too have seen a different GP within my own practise. I was fed up like yourself, I am constantly swollen and my joints have indeed become more painful. I have had the methotrixate increased to little effect. Also more of my joints have become affected over the last 6 months
    My consultant did say the arthritis was becoming more progressive. Although he didn't really examine them. Is it automatically RA! Or something else?
    I have been signed off for 3 weeks due to fatigue and swelling etc. I have made sure that I have had more treatment and asked for a steroid injection. I am now having to have it topped up, as I still feel I need more relief from the swelling. Having your hands in night splints during the day is not good... When you can't cook meals or do anything to look after your family.
    I am going to stand up for myself and make sure that I don't just accept things.
    Keep it up!

Jo x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Good on you trisha for getting your doc to listen and take action.:wink::D

I think sometimes with having a chronic condition that the docs leave it to the rheummys to manage and treat us; but sometimes we need their help too. !

I hope that you get the blood and xray results back soon and get the help you need.

Iris xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Good on you Trisha...sometimes we are made to feel that we are not in control...you must feel pleased with yourself.
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Well done you Trisha!!

I hope you get to the bottom of it :)

I am impressed.

Love

toni xx
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    I was diagnoised with OA in hands wrists toes feet and back originally but 16 xrays on top of these findings proved I had it also in Elbows shoulders hips knees and ankles dont think there is much else to get it , so I consider myself disabled with this damn disease nothing is ever going to cure all of it , so am getting my ehad around that fact yes drugs can help me with the pain but as you all know some days you want to be wrapped up and kept warm and safe, yesterday my toes were so painful walking i was literally yelping and very gingerly putting my feet down so I didnt bend my big toes both almost fused, this was on my way to the surgery he could see how much pain I was in and asked after me and if he could help, awww nice DR but it sounds as if I 'm lucky after reading about some of your DRs behaviour, put your foot down ( if you can ) and change until you find someone who genuinly cares and does something about it ,