any info about PA and IBS PLEASE

redpoppy
redpoppy Member Posts: 108
edited 3. Oct 2010, 12:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi,i have had psoriatic arthritis for 20yrs.been on leflunamide for about 7yrs.ive started getting very bad days of bloating wind and the runs.my gp thinks its IBS.i think i have read somwere it could be connected to PA.as anyone else heard this?

Comments

• coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    im sure some one will be along soon who can help you

coco xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Redpoppy
    And welcome, I cant be much help, has I have OA, but I do know that they can be connected, there are a few people on here withthem both,Hopefully they will be along soon.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • redpoppy
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Redpoppy
    And welcome, I cant be much help, has I have OA, but I do know that they can be connected, there are a few people on here withthem both,Hopefully they will be along soon.
    Love
    Barbara xxoops dont know why there is 2 :roll:
    hi barbera thnks anyway :)
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Hi redpoppy, I have IBS but not PA. I do have OA & Fibromyalgia.
    Fibro is linked to IBS not sure about PA.
    I get the bloating,wind,cramps & i swing between constipation & diahora. :oops:
    I have meds for the IBS, Mebeverine & i find these help to control most of the symtoms.
    Might be wise to talk to your gp about it again & discuss you options.
    Take care, debs
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have PA but not the IBS, well not yet, anyway! I think there is someone who may be able to help, so I hope they log on tonight. Answers will come, I am sure redpoppy, just give us time. I don't know much about it, but I know it can be hell. You poor thing, I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • redpoppy
    thanks i did go see my gp.he thought i had IBS.i was taking iron tablets and he told me to stop taking them in case they were causng it.but it hasnt helped any.im taking peppermint oil capsules now.just trying to get it under control.
  • redpoppy
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I have PA but not the IBS, well not yet, anyway! I think there is someone who may be able to help, so I hope they log on tonight. Answers will come, I am sure redpoppy, just give us time. I don't know much about it, but I know it can be hell. You poor thing, I wish you well. DD
    thanks daisy,i hope you dont get it.its bad enough PA never mind that too.
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    Have you tried Colpermin?
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Colpermin is peppermint oil caps which Redpoppy is already trying, just for your info.

Have you tried to google IBS, there's loads of info on it. I'm sure you have though!

Janie
  • alarkra
    alarkra Member Posts: 213
    Hi Redpoppy,

There is a theory that they can be connected, but they can be completely separate. In my experience I had IBS before I got diagnosed with RA and there is nothing that connects the two for me. I drink lots of peppermint tea, don't have caffeine or raw veg and avoid wheat as wheat appears to be the big culprit giving me bad bloating and colically pains. I take Mebeverine when I need it which takes the edge off my pangs and can make life much more bearable. Peppermint capsules can also be a great way to relieve the discomfort too. I'd ask your doctor about it as I personally think that Mebeverine is great as it doesn't have any side effects and can calm the discomfort right down because it's an antispasmodic.

Hope that helps and that you feel a bit better soon! xx :mrgreen:
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh, is colpermin peppermint oil? I hadn't realised, thank you janey for putting us right on that. DD
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi

I have been diagnosed recently with IBS (a very bad case of, according to the gastroenterologist :( ) Started 4 months ago. I have had OA for years. I have been prescribed Lopermide (Imodium) and Amitriptyline, started off with 10mg per night and after a week went onto 20mg a night. This slows down the body's metabolism as I suffer from Diarrhoea IBS. It can be Constipation IBS or yo-yo between Diarrhoea and Constipation IBS. The Amitriptyline takes a good few weeks to begin to work. as the gastro said it would, but I think it has just begun to kick in after 3 weeks. I hope so anyway. It has been pretty hellish the past few months.

I don't think it is connected to my OA.

I hope you can get it sorted very soon, you have my sympathy.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Theres some good info there.
    I also take the Lopermine for the diahora side of things too.Lacolose(sp) for constipation.I rattle well if tipped upside down :lol:

Elna, Do you take Amptripylines for the IBS too??
    I take it at night to help with sleep & relaxing.

I hope you get some help soon Redpoppy as its not just painful & annoying it can be embarrssing too. My stomach rumbles & i can get caught out too if i dont get upstairs quick enough :oops: :oops: As i said the mebevines help no end.
    debs
  • haagan
    haagan Member Posts: 84
    hi redpoppy
    hope you are feeling better. i have PA and IBS don't know which came first. diet helped with ibs you need to work out which foods set it off and try lol not to get stressed. My ibs hasn't been too bad but have got chest infection and cold and its back with a vengence sure its making up for time off. haven't changed anything diet wise.
    hoping it will settle down when infection gone.
    Also on leflunomide with mst, etolac for company. Peppermint does help.
    good luck with getting it under control Fay
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    I've had IBS (umbrella term for symptoms only) since I was 3. It turns out that it's leaky gut syndrome (auto immune). I got psoriasis when I was 21, PsA when I was 29 and ITP (blood not clotting) when I was 31. All my conditions are autoimmune. If you have one autoimmune problem you are more susceptible to other autoimmune problems, so yes PsA is linked to other autoimmune conditions, some of which can give you IBS symptoms. IBS itself is not a condition, only symptoms. You might want to see your GP about what could be causing it.

I hope this helps and that you are feeling better soon.
    xx
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    janie68 wrote:
    Colpermin is peppermint oil caps which Redpoppy is already trying, just for your info.

Have you tried to google IBS, there's loads of info on it. I'm sure you have though!

Janie

Yes well aware they are peppermint oil....but they are more effective especially when taken for the recommended period ......than those purchased in bulk.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Redpoppy,

I hope your feeling ok today? It nice to see you again.

I don't know about IBS and pa linked but I have IBD and p and m 100% certain they are linked! I think there is evidence out there that says about the likely hood of getting one if you have the other..... Go have a look at the NACC site and they might well have the links that are known. They certainly have a lot of help for the IBD and well there are similarities between the IBS and IBD.

Food especially and I fine food helps both the psoriasis and IBD, mtx does as well but for me its not doing much for the bones yet. Cris x
  • elnafinn
    minky67 wrote:
    Elna, Do you take Amptripylines for the IBS too??
    I take it at night to help with sleep & relaxing.debs

Hi Debs

Yes, it was prescribed to me by the gastro for the IBS Diarrhoea. I take 20mg every night, started off with 10mgs and after a week went onto 20mg. I have been on it 3 weeks now and he said it should just about be kicking in as it takes quite a time. I had already learned from here that it was prescibed to help with sleep. I have noticed an improvement but still got some way to go yet. :roll: :wink:

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Have been reading this with interest guys as my 15 year old daughter is having an ultrasound for supsected IBS on moday. Collecting tips i am as i go.

Elna I hope your belly settle for you soon - must be so draining :(

Love

Toni xx
  • elnafinn
    frogmorton wrote:
    Have been reading this with interest guys as my 15 year old daughter is having an ultrasound for supsected IBS on moday. Collecting tips i am as i go.

Elna I hope your belly settle for you soon - must be so draining :(

Love

Toni xx

Hi Toni

Yes, I had the full works, to check me out, the only thing that was not done was a camera down the throat :shock: Everything is working fine, says the gastro, but you have a very bad case of IBS. Oh joy :roll: :? Good to know all is in order but that is not helping me too much at present. :wink:

Luv
    Elna x

• skezier
    Hi Elna,

Sorry to see that one flower. With the IBD lomitil is good at slowing things down and might b worth trying for IBS? Foods flower.... foods are so responsible for the kick back with crohn's so maybe you would find some useful help on the NACC site as well? ((( ))) and hope it settles/d. Love Cris xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Glad you are ok :(

pain in the b*m this one :(

Love

Toni xx
  • elnafinn
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Elna,

Sorry to see that one flower. With the IBD lomitil is good at slowing things down and might b worth trying for IBS? Foods flower.... foods are so responsible for the kick back with crohn's so maybe you would find some useful help on the NACC site as well? ((( ))) and hope it settles/d. Love Cris xx

Thanks Cris

I was given a sheet of all the foods that I should avoid. Life is no fun anymore! :lol: :roll: I have read that eggs are bad too, well the yolk is, tea, coffee, alcohol, all the veggies I love, the list is endless. It is trial and error as everyone is different. I was so bad at one point after seeing the gastro that I put myself on the BRATTY diet, my gp gave me the go ahead, as I checked with her, but she said only for a short while and then start adding some protein.
    It stands for Bananas, Rice,(boiled, (stewed) Apples, Tea,(peppermint or chamomile), Toast, and live plain yoghurt. I felt quite good on that diet but it is terribly boring.I stayed on it for 6 days.

Luv
    Elna x

• dreamdaisy
    Oh elna, poor you. I know what it is like to have a very limited diet, my severe eczema as a child ensured that no lovely, fun foods were an option! I suppose all you can do is re-introduce things, one at a time, and find out what suits you and what doesn't. What a horrid thing, it just is not fair. DD (who is thumping her keys with severe irritation!)
  • skezier
    Oh Elna I so know what you mean! I find it so restrictive and so boring. Crohn's is very food triggered..... Its s bad when it goes i tend to just not eat all the nice things i love in case.....

Another ((((( ))))) and lomitil flower, it really does help. Love Cris xx