Electric Blanket.

rebecca1
rebecca1 Member Posts: 30
edited 19. Jan 2011, 08:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi. I was wondering if anyone can help. I live in an old house and just have electric heating. During the winter the windows freeze on the inside.lol
Anyway I cant afford to put in new heating so just go to bed early.
I have RA and an underactive thyroid so feel the cold more than most of the family.
I have bought a mattress topper and it's been fantastic but wondered if it's okay to put my electric blanket on top of it.
In the winter I use it and a hot water bottle. I just wondered if it would do any damage to the topper.
I dread winter as i'm sure most on here do. I hope everyone is as well as can be.
Rebecca.x

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Rebecca, DD started a thread on this on chit chat recently, some good advice given -

http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/php/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18744

Hope this helps.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ooooh, thanks speedy! Blue stuff and all! Yes I did, and the long and the short of it is no, it is not recommended as the foam can give off noxious fumes if made too warm. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • rebecca1
    thank you for your replies..love the topper but miss my blanket..what a dilemma..lol
  • dreamdaisy
    Toppers do provide extra warmth, but the easiest thing to do is put a fleece blanket over your duvet: extra warmth with little weight, and cheaper to run! Sleep tight. DD
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    i know where you are coming from i turn mine on in winter half an hour before i get up to un freeze joints go down make cup of tea put fires on then get back in bed till me and house warm and moblie lol so will put off topper till spring lol
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Stupid question, but to hot water bottles do the same thing as electric blankets regards fumes?? :shock:

Wondered whether that would explain my loss of brain-cells :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • rebecca1
    Thanks to everyone for advice. :)
    I have spent years switching on my blanket and taking hottie to bed.
    even in the summer :oops:
    Heat helps my joints and I like to cuddle into my duvet. I have to say the topper is great so don't want to ditch it either...
    I get terribly cold feet but socks constrict and I like to lift the duvet at the bottom so there's no weight!
    God i'm such a moaner.lol
    Anyway i'm going to have to decide which to use and again thanks at least I now know it's one or the other.
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Rebecca,

How well insulated is your house? The reason I ask is because there are government grants to insulate houses. I got mine done last winter for free as I have DLA. Even without DLA or other qualifying benefits you can have it done for £99. It's worth looking into. There might be an equivalent for central heating, I don't know.

Anyway, last winter my Jan bill for gas was £280, in Feb (after insulating) it was £80!! :shock: Granted Feb wasn't quite as cold but it wasn't £200s worth warmer either.

These things are worth looking for as they're not very well advertised.
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    hi

if my memory serves me right my mother-law had central heating put in on a grant, it would be looking into whats available
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    [ike to cuddle into my duvet. I have to say the topper is great so don't want to ditch it either...
    I get terribly cold feet but socks constrict and I like to lift the duvet at the bottom so there's no weight!
    God i'm such a moaner.lol
    Anyway i'm going to have to decide which to use and again thanks at least I now know it's one or the other.[/quote]

You are not a moaner - sleeping is one of the most important things we do and if you are uncomfortable...say no more!

Love

Toni xx
  • rebecca1
    The house is granite so no cavity and unfortunately hasn't got a loft either so no insulation sadly. I did ask for a grant for heating but was told there was no money left I live in Scotland. Don't know if it's different in England.. :(
    It's a three story house and a hundred and fifty years old. Doesn't have double glazing. In fact it's the original windows. God only knows how they kept warm back then.
    It's a beautiful house in great surroundings(in the country) and I loved it way back when but you don't see into the future and now it's impossible to look after ...will have to sell up eventually but of course it's not the time to do it!

Anyway I do appreciate all your advice and am grateful this place exists...
    Please keep warm this winter and thanks again..
    Rebecca..x
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    rebbeca

have you tried the clear film that can be put over your windows on the inside, it acts like double glazing and does work ive used it before, easy to put up also. that might help a bit.

i use wheat bags instead of hot water bottles also.

coco xx
  • Garethjones
    Garethjones Member Posts: 2
    You may use the topper but i think this might spoil your topper if you use it for a long time. you better use any fleece one.
    CNM Online
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    You may use the topper but i think this might spoil your topper if you use it for a long time. you better use any fleece one.

You're not selling them by any chance are you?? :shock: :roll: Lol
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    If you do get a grant, any unused portion can be used against other heating related problems. I had my loft insulated and the remainder of the grant can be put against boiler problems at a later stage, if my memory serves me right.

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • dreamdaisy
    Old thread resurrected by a spammer. He won't be back. DD
  • Garethjones
    Garethjones Member Posts: 2
    Sorry... boy if i m not wrong i haven't put any link down here

Its just the name of the company i am working for.
    CNM Online
  • dreamdaisy
    My apologies, Gareth, it just seemed an odd post for a newbie to add to, plus no mention of any form of arthritis, and so many spammers do just what you did. I am sorry, honestly. DD