Work, tiredness & changing hours

Options
seebazz
seebazz Bots Posts: 9
I currently work full time over four days, I have Osteoarthritis and Avascular Necrosis in both hips, so mobility is becoming increasingly difficult, my work is mainly a sit down job in front of a PC, which can become uncomfortable sitting for long periods of time, but the main problem for me is the fatigue, when it strikes at work I feel sometimes as though I could just pass out, and my whole body feels like it has been filled with lead, even moving my hands across a keyboard seems like a herculean effort, and seem like I literally use all my spare time recovering, currently I work 4 x 9.5 hour days, would it seem reasonable to ask my employer if I can reduce my worktime by one day, financially it would not effect my family as wife is just about to start her own venture as my youngest child has just started school.
My work have been good in letting me attend medical appointments, but despite that as I seem to be the only person with a disability amongst mainly fit and healthy 20 somethings (I am 38), I am not sure anybody really understands. What I put up with and don’t wish to make a fuss either.
I don’t want to be labeled as one of those workshy types, that is not the case, it is simply that I am finding the deadline driven workday quite draining, and want to ease the load a bit and wonder where I would stand on this.
Any advice from anybody who has been in the same position would be super.

Comments

• lynnhb
    lynnhb Member Posts: 62
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    seebazz wrote:
    I currently work full time over four days, I have Osteoarthritis and Avascular Necrosis in both hips, so mobility is becoming increasingly difficult, my work is mainly a sit down job in front of a PC, which can become uncomfortable sitting for long periods of time, but the main problem for me is the fatigue, when it strikes at work I feel sometimes as though I could just pass out, and my whole body feels like it has been filled with lead, even moving my hands across a keyboard seems like a herculean effort, and seem like I literally use all my spare time recovering, currently I work 4 x 9.5 hour days, would it seem reasonable to ask my employer if I can reduce my worktime by one day, financially it would not effect my family as wife is just about to start her own venture as my youngest child has just started school.
    My work have been good in letting me attend medical appointments, but despite that as I seem to be the only person with a disability amongst mainly fit and healthy 20 somethings (I am 38), I am not sure anybody really understands. What I put up with and don’t wish to make a fuss either.
    I don’t want to be labeled as one of those workshy types, that is not the case, it is simply that I am finding the deadline driven workday quite draining, and want to ease the load a bit and wonder where I would stand on this.
    Any advice from anybody who has been in the same position would be super.
    Hi, I work at a PC too, & understand the difficulties of sitting for long periods of time. I am lucky in that I work in a charitable residential organisation for people with disabilties & my employers couldn't be more helpful. However, I still feel like the only disabled staff member, & don't like having to be needy. I have been able to alter my hours to 24 hours over 4 days, & I start any time up until 1030, work 6 hours from start time, & go home when ready. This may not fit in with your employers requirements but worth discussing with them. I hope you can sort this out. Life can be so difficult and lonely when we are not fit enough to keep up with the pace. Best wishes, Lynn x
  • senkrah
    senkrah Member Posts: 6
    Options
    this too has been discussed with me. i've been offered either part time. or "compressed hours.but that meant doing about 8.5 hours a day for 4 days and half day off instead of 7.5 spead over 5 days.

i have so far said no , as like the OP the fatigue would have kicked in and i'd have been asleep at the Pc after the third day into It!!!

Fiona
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Fiona, compressed hours would be no good - even longer at the PC.

Can you financially afford to reduce your hours? If you can - then I think this is worth it from a work/life balance point of view.

Have you had an OT assessment at work?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.