Hi

Options
mariefab
mariefab Member Posts: 21
edited 5. Oct 2010, 07:04 in Say Hello Archive
I'm 50 years old and work as a part-time chef.

A few weeks ago I visited my GP due to the pain, stiffness and swelling that has developed in my hands this year.

He felt that it was likely to be arthritis and 'gamekeeper's thumb'.

He suggested wearing splints (which has been all kinds of fun) and said that when the blood test results came back he'd arrange for me to see an occupational therapist.

Yesterday he phoned to say that the blood test had revealed a rheumatoid factor. So, I'm to see a rheumatologist in November.

He suggested this site to me as an excellent source of information and support.

I must say that I'm impressed. You're a very friendly and supportive bunch and I've learned an awful lot on this site today.

I know a bit about employment law, and it's application, so I hope that I may be able to contribute a little in this area.

Comments

• annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Marie, come on in!

We're very supportive and mostly a very cheerful lot! Pop over to the cafe on the Chit Chat forum if you want a bit of chat and a cyber cake - all guaranteed calorie free.

LWA is for more serious questions and answers and almost always there is someone who has seen it, done it and worn out the T shirt.

Glad to have you aboard.

Annie
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    HI & welcome, but so sorry that you needed to find us all

My RA started in my hands, and I used them a lot for my job too, so I am pleased to see that your doctor has already said that you'll get a referral to see an Occupational THerapist (OT)

please do chase them up if you don't get a referral as I have been amazed at how brilliant and helpful my OT was when I was finally referred.

I hope the rheumy appointment is a positive one, and you'll find info on here about how to prepare for appointments .... but the main one we usually say is write everythgin down before you go, especially any questions you have, as it is easy to forget when you're actually in there!

welcome again!

WOnky
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Morning mariefab, wow! It sounds as tho you have a good doctor there, straight to a rheumatologist and pointed to here. If you have been looking around then I am sure you have spotted in various places our advice about keeping a diary of symptoms, what makes things worse, what helps, tiredness levels etc etc etc so that when you see the rheumatologist he will have a better idea of how you are affected by arthritis. We all have the same sorts of conditions but our individual versions of it are quite something! Please look at the other forums and do post - new voices and opinions are always welcome! I hope you are having a good day. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    mariefab wrote:
    I'm 50 years old and work as a part-time chef.

A few weeks ago I visited my GP due to the pain, stiffness and swelling that has developed in my hands this year.

He felt that it was likely to be arthritis and 'gamekeeper's thumb'.

He suggested wearing splints (which has been all kinds of fun) and said that when the blood test results came back he'd arrange for me to see an occupational therapist.

Yesterday he phoned to say that the blood test had revealed a rheumatoid factor. So, I'm to see a rheumatologist in November.

He suggested this site to me as an excellent source of information and support.

I must say that I'm impressed. You're a very friendly and supportive bunch and I've learned an awful lot on this site today.

I know a bit about employment law, and it's application, so I hope that I may be able to contribute a little in this area.

Hi Marie

A warm welcome from me too.

This is a lovely site to be on, The members are surpportive with one another too. We offer advise and tips that we have learned along the way too.

There is the LWA Forum which is where we go if we have questions to ask or a answer.

We also have the CChat Forum where we go to relax a bit more have a laugh. There ae always lots of Threads on there and you can jump in and answer.

Please pop into the cafe where you can day dream about all the cakes you would love to eat. The best part is you doin't gain weight. We do talk about arthur there but in a more relaxed way.

Pop in there to chat to the girls they are all a lovely group. I might have to warn you, well you may be asked to milk Marrigold our cow who provides the milk for the teas and coffees.. Have a chat over a cuppa.

There is also the WWA too. If you have knowledge in this field that might help people on here.

Anyway just thought I would say hi to you Marie and Welcome. I hope to see you posting soon

Love Trish xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    Hi marie

a big welcome to the forum from me too :D

very pleased to meet you.

Hope you get some mes to help you very soon so things will get under control.

The guys having work -issues on the other forum will be most grateful for any advice you have.

Thanks to your DOC for recommending the site - he sounds good :wink:

love

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Marie
    A very warm welcome from me
    The people on here are so supportive, any questions you have post on LWA, and when you are ready come and join us in chit chat, where we like to chill out.
    Hope to see you posting more very soon.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara