dont be conned by auction site

bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
edited 3. Oct 2010, 14:43 in Community Chit-chat archive
Just spreading the word as I have been conned today I sold an expensive pair of trainers on a popular auction site last month. 3 weeks ago I got a messahe saying they were damages. He returns them and they have been well worn. He said they fell apart on his feet. He has been awarded his money back, I have a scabby old pairs of trainers and have lost £60!! Only do it to make some money whilst I can't work ( and I pay my taxes on it too!!).
I hate fraudsters!

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Bailey that's just mean. have you got no come back at all? An appeal system? Anything? Cris x
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Always photograph your sales items thoroughly and mark in a secret place. Too many people don't take enough precautions prior to sale and lose out on the deal.

Also, make sure that they give you a good rating for the goods and then they will have problems substantiating any claim for a refund. There are many decent buyers/sellers and a few sharks about and in an online auction anyone can get caught.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    I deal with probably the same site as you. I always put at least 6 photo's on my auctions showing every possible angle. It costs 12p for every additional photo (the 1st one is free) but so worth it.

You must have had at least one photo proving the condition? Can't you take it up with the 'cashire' (i'm sure you know what i mean) with the photo as proof?

Also although it won't help, maybe write a review about what has happened on the said auction site.

Good luck!
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Oh dear bailey

So sorry you were ripped off.

Why can't people be good and honest and be pleased when they receive a bargain. The person you sold to obviously makes a habit of it.

You should be able o name and shame him

JuliePF x
  • bailey27
    Hi
    I took several photos of the trainers. When i spoke to customer service on the site they said if he has returned them to you you must refund. I explained that he returned a different pair and that thy were not the ones i sent him. they said that how do they know i didnt send him these ones and that i had proof that i actually sent him brand new ones. they dont look after the sellers at all. I set my shop up on there as i am unable to hold a full time job witht he arthritis setting in. i pay my taxes and just sent in another tax retrun so i am not one of those people making loads of money whilst claiming, I've enver claimed a penny of benefit evern though i am sure i am entitled and this is how they repay you. it is disgraceful.
    I am just looking for something to go right for me for a change.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh Bailey
    That is awful, I was seriously considering selling a few things on the site, now I will give some thought to it.
    Thankyou for the warning.
    Love
    Barbara
    Love
    Barbara
  • carol101
    delboy wrote:
    I sold a car on that site recently but the buyer never paid me as a seller one can no longer give negative feedback to the useless scum that haunt the place. I also sold a piece of PC equipment that worked fine but the buyer complained it didn't but I refused to take it back. She was awarded the price on return by the auction site.

As others have said take plenty of photo's and describe it fully.

It also annoys me that sellers can no longer leave negative feedback but if buyers don't pay for the item they do put that on their record.

I'm currently fighting a case now for non payment
  • carol101
    You can also block bidders. There is a block bidder list (just put it in the help section) and you can name all the people you don't want bidding on you items. As soon as i have the slightest trouble with anyone............on my list they go! I think i've got about 12 people on there. Once their name is on there they are unable to bid on your items.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    is there some way you could code your sale item, maybe using a UV pen or mark them somewhere discretely, record the code in a book with a photo like Joseph says, you could add the code in the bumf when you send them but not make it obvious as to what it is until you need to recall it for a correct identification, but sadly there is also another scam on this site and that is they the seller sends you an empty box so there is evidence of goods being sent so paypal don't normally want to know.

One last thing, this guy must be doing this on a regular basis so must have form, keep pestering the site and the payment people asking to monitor this person, thieves are generally lazy devious numpties who aren't to bright so will keep repeating the same scam until they get caught, past form is always their down fall.
  • bailey27
    Hi
    thanks for all your advice. Mellman i'll definately start doing that, thanks. only thing is i list 400+ items a week and would be difficult doing this with each one, you've given my some ideas though so thanks for that.

The auction site use to be fab for sellers, now they just dont seem to care abut sellers at all. when you type in your query into help it just comes up with solutions for buyers and not sellers. I wish somebody with the brains and money woud start a similar site. they'd lose most of their buyers.
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    thats really awful the only person i feel sorry for is you the customer it just goes to prove you got to be so careful and sometimes that isnt enough :x :x :x :x :x :x its like these cowboy builders they just as bad how do these rotten people sleep at night.

i think its about time us customers fought back its simply not good enough

Name and shame i think, poor you
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oh Bailey

I am so very sorry - horrible peopel who do this sort of thing :(

I will be careful

Love

Toni xx
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Why not an auction or selling site on this forum?
    Would that be feasible?
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    HI

This thread has really been an eye opener for me! I have never sold anything on that site, but was planning to do so over the next few months .. I can see I would need to be very carful not to get conned..

Thanks

Marion