Hip replacement and DLA benefit

fitzy_52
fitzy_52 Member Posts: 5
Hi,
I am looking for advice regarding disability benefit. Im seriously confused and dont know if i am eligable and government website is no help! I am 24yrs old and have had Hip displasia since birth. following 11 operations etc etc i now have servere OA of my left hip and mild OA in the right. I am having a hip replacement in December as last resort on left hip with the view of having further replacements obviously due to my age and the right one done in the future. I am currently working and have done since i was 16. I have never even thought of applying for benefits before as didnt know i could seeing as i manage to work(with great pain); but after finding out i will be on satutary sick pay for 3 months (79 quid a week!!) i am really worried how i am going to pay my direct debits etc. I live with parents so rent wont be problem but everything else (phone bill credit card, car insurance etc) will need to be paid. I have read lots of things about disablilty benefit and how is it graded on how it affects your life etc. will i still be eligable after the operation? as i will need extra money for transport to hospitals etc. i am worried about applying for something i may not be eligable for but how do ppl seriously live on £79 a week for three months!? and thats if it goes successfully!
sorry for such long thread no one is prob gonna bother to read but so confused!!!
can anyone help ?advice would be much appreciated! thank you in advance

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Well, I've read it but cannot help! I think you should contact your local benefits office, the CAB and ring the helpline people here, they know all sorts of stuff and might be able to point you in the right direction. Welcome to the forums, please post as new voices and ideass/opinions are always welcome! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • beowolf
    beowolf Member Posts: 88
    Hi Fitzy,

welcome to the forum :D

I'm in exactly the same position as yourself. I work full time and am awaiting a THR at any time but because of bills to pay, have been dragging myself into work despite constant pain.

The good new is that I have just been awarded DLA.... top rate for mobility and middle rate for care. I, like you, was in despair as to how I would manage on sick pay so what a relief it was. :
    I applied and filled in the forms online...no problems...it took 9 weeks to come through and they do know about the op so I get it for one year at the mo.... :D hope this helps Beo
  • beowolf
    sorry

forgot to say that that you can also apply for working tax credit if you get the higher rate of mobility

always worth a try.....they'll soon let you know if you're not entitled..and you won't get it if you don't try

good luck

Beo
  • fitzy_52
    beowolf wrote:
    Hi Fitzy,

welcome to the forum :D

I'm in exactly the same position as yourself. I work full time and am awaiting a THR at any time but because of bills to pay, have been dragging myself into work despite constant pain.

The good new is that I have just been awarded DLA.... top rate for mobility and middle rate for care. I, like you, was in despair as to how I would manage on sick pay so what a relief it was. :
    I applied and filled in the forms online...no problems...it took 9 weeks to come through and they do know about the op so I get it for one year at the mo.... :D hope this helps Beo

Thank you for that thats really made me feel more positive. I am going to phone to CAB to check what else im eligable for.
    just out of interest what kind of things did you put on the form? because i feel that i get on with things (work, shopping etc) i dont want to think im not eligable, but i do these things with great pain and discomfot and plenty of Ibfruphen!
  • fitzy_52
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Well, I've read it but cannot help! I think you should contact your local benefits office, the CAB and ring the helpline people here, they know all sorts of stuff and might be able to point you in the right direction. Welcome to the forums, please post as new voices and ideass/opinions are always welcome! I wish you well. DD

Thank you for that i am going to phone CAB now
  • dreamdaisy
    I hope they can help. DD
  • miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    I was in the same position as you last year.
    I had my hip replaced August last year aged 27. I was awarded DLA whilst recovering which was a huge help!
    Good luck
    x
  • fitzy_52
    miss_l wrote:
    I was in the same position as you last year.
    I had my hip replaced August last year aged 27. I was awarded DLA whilst recovering which was a huge help!
    Good luck
    x

Oh excellent. How did you go about appying for it?
    can i be cheeky and ask you how much you got?!
  • dreamdaisy
    You contact your local social serivces for the application form, well, that is what happens here. I believe that the sums awarded depend on the range of support required, or achievable mobility. DD
  • beowolf
    It's really easy to fill in the form online if you want...you can leave it at any time and go back if you don't want to do it in one go.

Just think of all the things you can't do when you're at your really worst....I told the truth that I literally cannot take a step without being in pain...obviously I still have to walk but that's not the point :D

good luck

ps they backdate it to when you submit the form
  • miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    I applied on line and a lovely lady from the DLA rang me and discussed my needs and the fact i lived alone and 50 miles form any family.

They were so lovely!

I got mid rate care and no mobility as the replacement has solved that issue!

x
  • lola9755
    lola9755 Member Posts: 39
    Hi
    Im in the same boat........... dragging myself to work for as long as possible, as I live alone and need to pay the household bills,
    on my day off tomorrow so I think I will try and fill the DLA form online
    thanks for all the advice

tricia :)
  • beowolf
    Hi Tricia,

good luck with your application :D

I have now got to the stage where I cannot carry on at work any longer ,but with the DLA to supplement sick pay, at least I know I can pay the bills. :D

Just take your time and really tell them exactly what it is like trying to live with arther.

best wishes

Beo
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi fitzy

I am sure others will be along soon to give you more practical advise but just sending a gentle nudge your way along with the others here to go to CAB for advise. I am twice your age but do understand the working with dodgy hips and the worry re income and those dreaded bills as I still struggle to work 30hrs a week and live alone. My Consultant would have my hip tomorrow but I have been putting if off for those very reasons. I did go to CAB who have been so helpful in preparing me for the inevitable so do try and get to see them if you can. I know it can be difficult if you are working full time but they are certainly the best place to start. I also saw the disabled employment advisor at the job centre who can help you in your current job either to make things easier for you now or to help when you feel able to return after your op recovery. Both places were very helpful.
    Just wanted to say hello and wish you luck. Do let us know how you get on.
    take care
    Chris
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi fitzy and welcome to the forum from me too. :D

Definitely apply for DLA :!:

I've posted you a link to a really helpful website that gives easy to follow, sound advice on how to complete the rather long DLA application form! It's a link to a local authority (Blackburn/ Darwen Council) website .

http://www.blackburn.gov.uk/server.php?show=ConWebDoc.6614

even if you decide to get help from CAB in completing the forms, it's worth reading through the advice given as it might help you to get your head 'round what the questions are asking!

good luck and let us know how you get on.

Iris xx
  • lorr1e1
    lorr1e1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi i know this is an old topic but i have been diagnosed at 38 with hip dysplasia and need a hip replacement and probably in the other one when that flares up in future.

with the changes in benefits the last couple of years is it still possible for me to claim dla or pip as i think it has changed to now.

I am going to apply to council to move to council property as i live in tenement flat so the stairs are getting a problem for me. i dont have any family in scotland which is where i currently live as my family are all in England.

Any help

Lorrie
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Lorr1e1, welcome to Arthritis Care Forums.

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have using the forums.

Please click on the following link to see our factsheet on Personal Indepence Payments https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/652-personal-independence-payment-pip

I hope the factsheet helps but, if you need more specific information, you can always contact our Helpline at: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/help-and-support/helpline

In addition to the above, there are many lovely people who use the forums with a wide range of experiences. Have a good look through the different forums and pick the ones you feel are best for the information you seek.

Best wishes,

ModEm
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Lorrie. I'm sorry I can't help but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I see ModEm has given you some good advice. The other source of help that comes to mind is Citizens Advice. I hope someone can help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright