I hate insurance companies

Options
patriciamary
patriciamary Member Posts: 117
edited 6. Oct 2010, 10:40 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all
Just need to get this off my chest. Got water coming in through bedroom ceiling and down wall. Water tank almost directly above in loft so informed insurance company then set about phoning plumbers. I live in a small village and getting tradesmen is like pulling teeth. They seem to think 16 miles outside the main city is going to the amazon. Eventually get plumber, he checks water tank, nothing wrong with it but chimney stack in loft is very wet. Round two, set about getting chimney/roofing person. After 2 no shows get him to check chimney and roof. The base of the actual chimney pot has got cracked and is allowing the water to get in between the bricks and the roughcast, going down the brickwork and into the house. Now I know the insurance company wont pay for the leak but they should pay for the damage the leak does. No, no, no the leak is down to "wear and tear" so they wont pay to have the roughcast on the chimney repaired, but they will pay to decorate the bedroom! After they told me this (10 oclock this morning) I got thinking, we have the chimney swept and checked every year. Last check was end of May 2010, so how often do they expect you to climb up 30 metres (we live on the crest of a hill) to check that everything is ok. Just phoned them back and told them this, guess what they are sending the loss adjuster out to look at it. Just goes to show if you accept everything they tell you you will get taken for a mug. I feel a fight coming on, but I am determined to fight to the end. First insurance claim I have had in over 12 years so I think they should know I am not just trying to pull a fast one. Will let you know who wins.
Regards
Trisha

Comments

• lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    So what do you pay your insurance for then? :? :? :? :?
    You will have to let me know how often they expect you to get someone to inspect the roof/chimney etc. Must admit that we had a leak a couple of years ago. I was lying in bed and i could feel a wet drops on my face. Slowly came to got up and water was dripping from the ceiling. To cut a long story short we got someone out to have a look...couldn't find anything wrong so we left it. A year later it happened again...the lead flashing had gone in one place and the wind had to be going in just the right direction for it to come in. Didn't even cross my mind to claim on insurance we just paid for the work to be done. Wonder what they would have said???? Hope you get everything sorted and repaired quickly.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    in the old days we all paid the same rates insurance etc and you got rewarded for not claiming for all the years you were with one insures, now today you get ripped of for your loyalty and low claim rate, while those who scam seem to get better treatment or thought no less of.
    and the thing is they have all your details so know what kind of person you are anyway, I think it's like that with a lot of life now, if your a devious little bugger they shy away from an argument as they know that those type of people will not let go yet honest types can be BS'd off and taken for a ride as they don't like confrontation.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    few years back we had water coming from ceiling from tank, ceiling had to be replaced and all house carpet - discovered on return from holiday. Insurance did the lot, got people in, new ceiling, new carpet etc - all paid for - are you with a "big" company?
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    oneday wrote:
    few years back we had water coming from ceiling from tank, ceiling had to be replaced and all house carpet - discovered on return from holiday. Insurance did the lot, got people in, new ceiling, new carpet etc - all paid for - are you with a "big" company?

It was Trishers chimney at fault. I suppose if it had been the tank they would have paid. Do the insurers feel you should have taken more care of the chimney? Or spotted the wear and tear and do you feel that is reasonable? If not challenge it politely!

E x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    hi

i dont like insurance companys either, a few years ago i had to make a claim on my car insurance, simply because a child run out in front of me and i was going up hill at the time, so i couldnt go that fast had passengers in the back and it was only a small engine on the car anyway... the girl had to have treatment at hospital for a broken arm and on my policy it clearly said, emergency treatment did not effect my no claims discount, anyway, when it came up for renewall the cost had shot up and i asked why and they said its because of my claim, and so i pointed out what it said in my policy, still would they budge NO so i politley told them i was not going to insure with them again, a year later i went back to see if things were still the same and it was like it had never happened grrr insurance companys
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • patriciamary
    patriciamary Member Posts: 117
    Options
    Hi All

Thanks for your support. Loss adjuster phoned me and said there has to be winds of 47 miles per hour to claim for storm damage! I dont know how long it took for water to penetrate through chimney stack and down through loft into bedroom. Chimney was checked at end of May 10 and was fine, we have it checked by chimney company once a year. Loss adjuster coming on Friday, will phone before 10 to let me know roughly what time. Water first noticed mid August so I dont know how often they expect us to climb onto the roof, (which is over 10 metres high) dont live in a castle just a semi on the crest of a hill. One can only hope.

Regards
    Trisha