Osteoarthritis/cervical sponylosis

spitzlover
spitzlover Member Posts: 5
I've recently had X-rays which have confirmed osteoarthritis/cervical spondylosis (degenerative disc disease). I work in a busy office and a lot of my job's taken up with computer work. Through Access to Work I've been provided with voice recognition software, a customised chair, special keyboard and mouse pad, but I find it difficult to be in the same position for long periods, regardless of all these aids. Is anyone else in a similar situation and if so, how do you cope at work?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I get up and move around, about once every 10-15 minutes. I go for a short walk, or just walk round the room, anything to get things moving again. I work at home but find the same problem of sitting too still for too long aggravating joints. I have PA. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • amboritic
    amboritic Member Posts: 66
    I have been coping with this since 2002/3, I alwasy found keeping busy helped, as did rubbing in deep heat, plus using my TSE machine before work and in the car on the way to work helped.

Not forgetting Uncle Tylex and his mate Tramadol.

I would expect working at your desk isn't helping, other than adjustments you have mentioned not sure what to suggest, at least you are aware of your protection under DDA, I didn't know about it, Occy Health and the Union didn't tell me about it, and my CS has caused loss of career progression and also bullying from my immediate managers, even resulting in Occy Health stopping me from working for nine months a few years ago, resulting in more loss of career progression.
  • spitzlover
    Thank you both for taking the time to respond. Have taken 3 days this week as leave, but have been in a lot of pain. Going back tomorrow to see how things go.

Take care.
  • dreamdaisy
    I think you did the right thing, having a break. I hope it goes better tomorrow. DD
  • spitzlover
    Went back to work for a few days, but things aren't working out and am in a lot of pain. Had a really bad night last night. Went in this morning and told them I'm going to take a bit of time off. Very supportive. Have also decided to request early retirement on medical grounds. Reluctant to do so, but got to think of myself in the long term.

Hope things are going better for others.
  • dreamdaisy
    The fact that your employers were supportive speaks volumes about how they feel about you. Could there be some room for negotiation about the hours you work, or the possibility of working from home? I ask only because Mr DD has a secretary who has (unluckily) the same form of arthritis as me. The poor **** can't get away from it! Anyhoo, he has encouraged her to work full days when possible, do shorter hours in the office when things are rough and to work from home when the brain is OK but the body won't co-operate. I don't know what you do, but could there be room for such a negotiation? I wish you well. DD
  • spitzlover
    Thank you, DD. I work in university admin, so there might be room for negotiation. Will try. Have to say, though, that they're making a number of cuts, so may be prepared to support the retirement route, given that whenever I'm off they not only have to pay me, but also someone to do my work.

Best wishes.