Going to University...any tips?

sunnyhours
sunnyhours Member Posts: 151
Hi everyone!
I guess I'm getting better since I feel like going to University now...biochemistry or biology, not sure yet...I have to look at the programs that are offered...so I'd be back in school for a good 3 years!
My big problem with school is that I get tired very easily, so juggling with school, work and the fatigue is something I'm kinda scared of... However I don't wanna keep working for the minimum wage an this is my passion...pharmacology that is...
Anyways is there any tips you guys could give me to get rid of the fatigue brough on by RA? Other tha. Rest?
Thanks a lot!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi sunnyhours, this is sounding like a plan! Over here we have services that university students with disablilites can draw upon, funds to help with computer equipment etc etc etc - is there anything similar in Canada? As to coping with the tiredness, well, it never really goes, does it? Rest, rest and rest some more is always the key, I think. When do you hope to start? I hope you are still using a stick to ease the strain on your joints and I hope your boss is not being his usual self! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    When it comes to coursework, assignments etc. Take a few minutes to draw up a quick schedule so you can get through it all in bite sized chunks. Therefore, when you are resting and chilling out you have no need to feel 'guilty' as you can relax in the knowledge that you are on schedule and deserve the rest.

Good luck with it.
    Carol
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    sunnyhours wrote:
    Hi everyone!
    I guess I'm getting better since I feel like going to University now...biochemistry or biology, not sure yet...I have to look at the programs that are offered...so I'd be back in school for a good 3 years!
    My big problem with school is that I get tired very easily, so juggling with school, work and the fatigue is something I'm kinda scared of... However I don't wanna keep working for the minimum wage an this is my passion...pharmacology that is...
    Anyways is there any tips you guys could give me to get rid of the fatigue brough on by RA? Other tha. Rest?
    Thanks a lot!

Good for you Sunnyhours. I'm a pharmacology grad as well and I loved my degree. These days I'm the other side of things and supervise the students. What uni are you going to?

As far as the fatigue etc, I'm not sure what to suggest except to pace yourself. I strongly recommend that you talk to your tutors about your condition though. They will be able to offer you support. Also check if your uni has an access unit. They will be able to register you as disabled and apply for grants on your behalf for anything extra that you might need, eg. a laptop to work from home or a dictaphone to tape lectures if you can't write very well and so on.

If you have any specific concerns PM me and I'll see what I can dig up.
    Well done.
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    try to get tutors to give you a heads up of whats coming up in the next term so that you can spread your preparation over the whole year rather than taking holidays off
    Planning stuff really helped me, it doesn't come naturally but being organised and building in spare time really helped me through the tough times
    Chat with tutors
    use every labour saving device known to man - dictation and talk typing really help
    take naps or if you are not good at this really take a break, stop and have a coffee, fresh air, change of scene - really helps
    red bull and proplus are in every student i've ever known's cupboards - use them by all means but don't come to rely on them as unlike other students burning the candle at both ends will not be so easy to recover from (ok i am a hypocrite as i am sitting here drinking red bull :oops: but I have a 2yr old who is currently setting the pace not me)
    thats all I can think of for now but if you ever want a chat please feel free to message me , i did 3 degrees with RA and can out the otherside pretty much ok so I know how tough it can be.... oh last piece of advice...you don't need to do it all on your own friends online and in person can and will help - you've just got to let them!
    Hope that helps
    Chrissie