The Running Man

shareindex
shareindex Member Posts: 2
I'm on Metatrexate, diclafenac, something for treating maleria (but good for arthritis). They dont keep me pain free, I just get on with my daily routine. However, since I last made contact, I have ran the London Marathon 2010 and 4 half marathons. Now my feet, especially my left foot is causing me so much discomfort that I have not run for 4 weeks. The ball of my left feet (bang in the centre of it) is the problem. Even when I depress the clutch pedal whilst driving it causes some pain. The problem is intermittent. Soft soled shoes help.

My question is, could this be caused by my running or is it an arthritis problem. I need to see my consultant about it.
Fred the Vet

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Do you feel as though you have a dried pea under your skin? I had an intermittent lump appear in the ball of my left foot in the months before my arthritis kicked off. In the early days of my research about this malarkey I do remember reading somewhere that a small lump often pressages the arrival of arthritis. Apart from that, I cannot help. I didn't run as child (chronic asthmatic) and I never ran as an adult (enormous fun bags - too painful). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Fred

It could be Morton's Neuroma but the best advice I can give you is to see your gp/consultant or a podiatrist. The faster you find out, the quicker something can be done about it.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    shareindex wrote:
    I'm on Metatrexate, diclafenac, something for treating maleria (but good for arthritis). They dont keep me pain free, I just get on with my daily routine. However, since I last made contact, I have ran the London Marathon 2010 and 4 half marathons. Now my feet, especially my left foot is causing me so much discomfort that I have not run for 4 weeks. The ball of my left feet (bang in the centre of it) is the problem. Even when I depress the clutch pedal whilst driving it causes some pain. The problem is intermittent. Soft soled shoes help.

My question is, could this be caused by my running or is it an arthritis problem. I need to see my consultant about it.
    Fred the Vet

Dear Fred

Thank you for your posting. It is important that you receive a proper diagnosis from your rheumatologist or GP about the problem with your foot and whether this is arthritis and also how your running may be impacting on this. Our booklet ‘Exercise and arthritis’ provides lots of information about exercising when you have this condition and about the types of exercise that are considered beneficial. You can access this on the link http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets. I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Best Wishes
    Dawn