Tribunal with DLA

pepperflo
pepperflo Member Posts: 91
Hi
I have a Tribunal with the DLA on Monday, as I have the lower rate for the care side, but because I got in touch with them too late to have it reviewed, I now have to go for this. I spoke to my Gp about it, and he said go for it, esp as my everyday activities has become more restricted.
I'm getting really panicky about it, and feel I don't want to go, they have said my case will be heard even though I'm not there but my Husband said it will look better if I am there, but I just can't face all the questions, and I know I will get myself all worked up. I know I'm genuine, but they do like to make you feel like a fraudster.
I'm feeling sick and worried now so god knows what I will be like come Monday am.
Has anyone else had to go through one of these, and how was it, and should I go ?

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi pepperflo :D

I haven't gone through a DLA tribunal but there are other peeps on the forum who have, so I hope you'll get more first hand responses from them. :wink:

I think it's perfectly natural to have anxiety about attending any tribunal and can understand why you wouldn't want to attend. :roll:

It really is your decision, but if you do decide that you want/ need to go then remember you can take a representative with you... your hubby or a friend.. for moral support... or to speak on your behalf.

there are also websites organisations that provide information on attending DLA appeals that might help you prepare for Monday..either do a search or let me know and I'll pm (personal message) you the link to one that I know offers good advice.

You could also post your question on the LWA Forum.. where it'll be seen/ responded to by more peeps.

Good luck for Monday!

Iris xxx
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    So sorry you are having to go through this.

It is natural to feel nervous so decide whether or not to go whatever feels right for you.

Personally, I would go and do all that I could. Easy for me to say I know.

If you decide to go then keep saying to yourself that it is only for a few minutes. You will likely feel much better afterwards knowing you did all you can.

Good luck and keep us updated.
    Positive thoughts, Carol
  • pepperflo
    I've had a talk with my Husband as I got very upset earlier, and nearly had a panic attack at the thoughts of Monday, he says if its making you like this then don't go, as they will do my case without me being there, but if I feel differently on Monday then he will support whichever decision I make. He has booked the day off work anyway.
    I just don't know what to do :cry:
    Thank you for all your support and I will let you know the outcome x
  • dorcas
    Hi P
    If you are feeling so stressed about this tribunal..... then don't put yourself through it!

It's bad enough that you've had to go through the whole stressful and worrying process of getting to an appeal.... but the bottom line has to be how you feel now and whether going there is too much for you... The last thing you need is for this to have a negative impact on your health.
    We all know that stress and pressure can have a bad impact on arthritis! so please do not let this affect you to the degree that it makes you unwell.... it's just not worth it.

Think of alternatives?.

It's good that you have an understanding and supportive partner.... perhaps he could go in your stead and take and read out a letter from you about why you've found attending just too much to cope with?. He is also in a good position to answer any questions the tribunal might have... or could even phone you from there and ask you the questions!!!

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow and wishing you well whatever you decide to do.

Iris xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Pepperflo, it is awful that folks have to go through this process. I can well understand how nervous and panicky you feel. But if your partner is willing to go with you - then that is great. As Iris says write down pointers for him. Take a pad and paper and you can scribble him notes if necessary. You DESERVE this money, don't let the system win. By Monday evening you will have done it and you will feel a huge weight off your shoulders. If you don't go, you will always wonder - what would have happened if you had gone ...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • pepperflo
    Thank you for all your kind words and support, I'm still undecided on what to do, I know I will always wonder, and they have said the appeal will go ahead without me, I'm feeling sick now just thinking about it.
    I've been looking up tribunals on other sites, and people have taken representatives with them and lots of paperwork they have prepared, I haven't done any of that and apart from my Husband I don't know of a legal Representative to take like they have.
    I honestly don't think i will be going, I know I may lose out but I just can't cope with all the stress. Can't you tell I've never been in trouble with the law and had to go to court :lol: Ithink I would have to flee the country first.
    Again thanks x
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Hi Pepperflo

What did you decide?

Let us know the outcome of the tribunal.

Hope you are feeling a bit better today.

Carol
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    pepperflo wrote:
    Hi
    I have a Tribunal with the DLA on Monday, as I have the lower rate for the care side, but because I got in touch with them too late to have it reviewed, I now have to go for this. I spoke to my Gp about it, and he said go for it, esp as my everyday activities has become more restricted.
    I'm getting really panicky about it, and feel I don't want to go, they have said my case will be heard even though I'm not there but my Husband said it will look better if I am there, but I just can't face all the questions, and I know I will get myself all worked up. I know I'm genuine, but they do like to make you feel like a fraudster.
    I'm feeling sick and worried now so god knows what I will be like come Monday am.
    Has anyone else had to go through one of these, and how was it, and should I go ?

Dear Pepperflo

Thank you for your posting. By now it sounds as if the tribunal would have been over and you would have made the decision about whether you attended or not. From the support of other forum users that you received I am aware this gave you some options and different ways of approaching whether you attended the tribunal. Attending these can be very difficult and it is not surprising you were feeling so anxious. You can contact some organizations who can provide support and expertise to help support you with such things as tribunals, appeals and applying for benefits and they may be helpful for future reference. Your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau should be able to help with support around appeals and tribunals. You can find them on the CAB website on http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ or you can contact DIAL UK who are an umbrella group for UK disability organizations. Their website address is http://www.dialuk.info/. I hope that this has been helpful and remember you are very welcome to call us on the helpline if you would like any more information or support.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • dorcas
    How did it go pepperflo?

been thinking about you all day, and hoping that the tribunal decision held in your favour. :wink:

Iris xxxx
  • pepperflo
    Hi Everyone

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts, but I'm sorry I just couldn't go, I got up this morning feeling really sick, and bad dizzy spells, so my Husband said it's just not worth making yourself ill over this what will be will be, so I rang them and they said the tribunal will go ahead without me, so just waiting for the outcome now. I know I may have ruined it for myself, but I didn't sleep at all last night, and maybe next time I'm up for renewal I can put another claim in.
    I just didn't feel strong enough to go ahead.
    Sorry if I have let the side down by not fighting for what were entitled to. :cry:
  • dorcas
    Oh pepperflo

please don't feel you've let anyone down .... because you haven't. :!:

as delboy said you have to do what's best for you....

attending that tribunal was just going to be too stressful...so don't feel guilty about not going!!

we'll still hope for a positive outcome for you... and hope you get the decision soon.

please keep in touch pepperflo! and feel free to join us on the other forums... :wink::D

Iris xxx
  • pepperflo
    Thank you everyone, it is nice to know there is someone out there I can talk to and can relate to what I'm going through. I will go on the other forums and get chatting x.
  • pepperflo
    Hi Everyone

Well my letter came yesterday, and guess what my tribunal was adjourned, they want a new medical report form my gp, I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad one, so it looks like I'm back to square one with it all.
    Will keep you all updated on what is said x
  • dorcas
    Hopefully pepperflo it is a positive sign :D

it is very hard ... and stressful... to have delays.... but at least they did not just make a hurried decision based on out of date or insufficient information!

thanks for keeping us 'in the loop' and I do hope that it's not too long before a new date is agreed for the adjourned tribunal. :roll:

try to put 'it' to one side if you can. :wink:

Iris x
  • pepperflo
    Hi Iris

I hope so too, as maybe my notes are a bit out of date as it has taken them until now which is months since, I submitted my forms. since them I have been to see a Rheumatoligist and I'm now on more meds.
    I will keep you all updated x